hey guys, lets say we've got a basic chord progression that goes like F,Am,Dm and Bb. the key of this is D minor. is that right?
Those chords do contain the notes from F major/D minor.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
It definitely looks like F major. We got:

I-iii-vi-IV-(implied I)

It ends in a plagal cadence, which is a sure sign of its key
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
From that information I would say F major because not only does it start on F (and assuming it's a riff, go back to F every 4 bars) but if it were D minor it is likely you would have a C# but the chord sequence has an A minor chord in it which uses C natural.
Q: What's the difference between a Mexican standard tele and an American standard tele?

A: £600
Quote by jenguind
D minor it is likely you would have a C#

LOOK CLOSER LENNY!
Quote by jenguind
From that information I would say F major because not only does it start on F (and assuming it's a riff, go back to F every 4 bars) but if it were D minor it is likely you would have a C# but the chord sequence has an A minor chord in it which uses C natural.

If it were in harmonic minor yes, but nowadays in popular music the natural minor is considered the norm, and C natural is in D natural minor.
So can I solo using a d minor pentatonic over this progression? I've tried and it sounds ok. That's if I end on the correct notes as the chord progression. Or does f major pentatonic sound better?
Quote by a55a551n1191
If it were in harmonic minor yes, but nowadays in popular music the natural minor is considered the norm, and C natural is in D natural minor.

okay, but that doesn't mean this example is in D minor.

Quote by onlyoneleft
So can I solo using a d minor pentatonic over this progression? I've tried and it sounds ok. That's if I end on the correct notes as the chord progression. Or does f major pentatonic sound better?

alright, we'll do it again.

this is in the key of F major. so you're going to solo over it using F major. that's it. really. if you use the "shape" you know of as D minor pentatonic, that's fine - but you're just playing F major pentatonic. it's not a question of which sounds better. unless you're planning on finding some way to make this polytonal, you're using F major.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
it's in F
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by onlyoneleft
Oh and guys this is a progression to a pop song.

Sounds good. But the genre is not relevant. You'll find that 99.99999% of songs are either in major or minor keys regardless of them being country, folk, death metal, thrash, hip hop, punk, or pop etc.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Sounds good. But the genre is not relevant. You'll find that 99.99999% of songs are either in major or minor keys regardless of them being country, folk, death metal, thrash, hip hop, punk, or pop etc.

hear that guys? death metal. thrash. minor keys.

yeah.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Alright I've found a pop song that has the same progression. Fmaj, Am, Dm, Bb. It's price tag by Jessie J. Now you guys got a song to refer to, tell me what key should I solo in. F major or D minor? They both sound neutral.
Quote by onlyoneleft
Alright I've found a pop song that has the same progression. Fmaj, Am, Dm, Bb. It's price tag by Jessie J. Now you guys got a song to refer to, tell me what key should I solo in. F major or D minor? They both sound neutral.

F major! They have the same notes, but you need it all to resolve to F, not D.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.