My acoustic is really hard to play compared to my electric, and my friends' acoustics. I've noticed my strings are much higher from the fretboard compared to theirs and it makes it so much harder to play.

Do you think I should try setting up my acoustic myself? I'm at least $20 in gas away from the nearest luthier + the set up fee and my guitar is only $200.

If I tried it myself how do I know how far to sand the nut and bridge down? Could anyone give me some advice or point me towards a good guide. Thanks & Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I wouldn't sand down anything unless I knew exactly what I was doing. But I would give the truss rod a turn. Search on UG, there's info on setting up a guitar here.
Well there are several types of acoustics, as seen here http://www.guitaristguitarist.com/images/guitar_necks.jpg Basically the one on the left is one of the typical classical guitar and as you can see is wider and the strings are higher compared to the one on the right, which has more of an electric guitar neck, if that makes any sense. I am pretty sure that you would have noticed if that's the case, but I felt the need to tell you, who knows, you might have overlooked it. Post pictures too.
Yeah I know that.. Mine is a Silver Creek D160
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

I was asking for specific pictures of your problem, because if there really was something wrong with it you could see, unlike on the stock images I find in google.
alright give me a sec

Last edited by tr3nt at Jun 7, 2011,
I don't know if you can tell but they're really far from the fretboard and i have to push really hard to play.

Edit: They are closer by the nut (but still uncomfortable) and way far away near the 12th fret.

Last edited by tr3nt at Jun 7, 2011,
That's a lot of space. I don't think filing anything down is really going to help too much with that.
So what do I do?

Honestly, I'd take it in, but I can walk to my luthier and he'd probably not charge me if it was only a truss rod adjustment.
Dang that's a bummer, I'm probably going to be spending at least $75 on my $200 guitar. lol

I had the same problem..what I did was I removed the saddle entirely, and if a string buzzes, i put a piece of paper under the string at the bridge where the saddle used to be. Looks weird, but it works..for me at least.
read frets.com if you are the do-it-yourself type. Otherwise take it in for a setup. It should be around $30 but will be sssooooo worth it!
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
All those posts.... Meanstreak has it right.
If you want to do the work yourself, and if you want to learn to do it right, go to Frets.com:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Musician

And read through the "Instrument Set-Up" section. This will give you the standard measurements for setting up an acoustic guitar.
You can check yours against this standard and determine if adjustments are necessary, and then decide to have it done by a professional or to try it yourself.
Caution...
Adjusting the action at the nut requires special tools. Nut files or something similar.
Adjusting the saddle is done by CAREFULLY measuring the amount to be removed and then EVEN MORE CAREFULLY sanding the bottom of the saddle using a sanding block to maintain the absolutely-square nature of the bottom of the saddle.

A well-adjusted and set up acoustic guitar should not be difficult or painful to play.
Quote by Bikewer
All those posts.... Meanstreak has it right.
If you want to do the work yourself, and if you want to learn to do it right, go to Frets.com:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Musician

And read through the "Instrument Set-Up" section. This will give you the standard measurements for setting up an acoustic guitar.
You can check yours against this standard and determine if adjustments are necessary, and then decide to have it done by a professional or to try it yourself.
Caution...
Adjusting the action at the nut requires special tools. Nut files or something similar.
Adjusting the saddle is done by CAREFULLY measuring the amount to be removed and then EVEN MORE CAREFULLY sanding the bottom of the saddle using a sanding block to maintain the absolutely-square nature of the bottom of the saddle.

A well-adjusted and set up acoustic guitar should not be difficult or painful to play.

This makes me not want to do it myself. I might just bring it in.

While I agree with what has been said r.e. If you are a DIY person (who learns by reading) read & learn all you can before you start. If you are a hands on person & learn by doing as opposed to reading, then I would say buy yourself a new nut blank & saddle blank & start sanding till you either understand what you are trying to do, or you stuff them & still have the originals to put back on ,THEN TAKE IT TO A LUTHIER

Mind you I dont think that the pics supplied earlier in this thread , tha action doesnt look too bad to me definatly playable. Here is a pic of my action on Maton EBG808

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jun 7, 2011,
Don't listen to the Truss Rod posts. LMAO. You only need to lower your strings and someone wants you to bend the neck of your guitar?

I just bought an Epiphone Masterbilt, which came with a high action. My Masterbilt has a bone saddle, but your guitar probably has a plastic saddle... it should still sand down just the same. What I did was I took a ruler that had small measurements (32nds or 64ths) and I measured how much closer I wanted the strings...... then I took off my strings, then took my saddle off and made a perfectly straight line across the bottom of it with how much I needed to sand off.

STEP 2: SAND IT OFF. what's the worst that can happen... you might need a new cheap plastic saddle? I'd say that's much easier on the wallet than turning your truss rod for no reason and possibly ruining your guitar
BiggsRJ while i agree with your idea of the truss rod needing very little attention on any guitar ever. The fact remains that you can raise/lower your string height (to some degree & at particular points on the neck) with the truss rod or indeed on electrics the NECK to pocket angle (also known as micro tilt) Nothing is ever set in stone as far as what works for whom , when , & very dependant on the sound the owner wants to come out of the guitar as well. We all have different ears.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I talked to the nearest guitar center i explained to them they said it probably is a neck adjustment and it needs to be brought in.

truss rod does not correct action when you use a truss rod, it changes the curve in the neck, so while part of the neck may be closer to the strings, part will be further away. send it to a luthier - then it'll play right and you'll be a happy camper, and you won't keep thinking "i have a $200 guitar" 'cause it'll feel like a much nicer one.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!