Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,
Did one of these a while ago and the MBM2 seemed like a good choice, however they sold out quickly in the UK and have since been discontinued. So now I'm just wondering if anyone has any new recommendations.
Have a heavy interest in multi finger tapping and sweeps
Mainly play metal but also interested in alot of classical pieces. Few bands/solo I'm interested in:

All That Remains
Avenged Sevenfold
All Shall Perish
Oasis
John Williams
Xue-fei Yang
Ana Vidovic
Ozzy Osbourne
Megadeth
Satriani
Becker
Trivium
In This Moment
Flyleaf
Muse
Buckethead

Obviously there is no guitar that can fit a category for all those but would be nice to find one with a decent clean tone too.

Been using a Squier Strat the last 8 years and bought a Peavey Vypyr 30 last year.
Would there be a large noticeable difference in upgrading? No large guitar shops here, 7 hour journey at least so can't really test any middle/high end guitars. Majority of shops in my area don't sell guitars over the £200 tag.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: Looking for EMGs, perhaps 60/81. No interest in FR.
Last edited by Nemm at Jun 7, 2011,
ibanez rg1451?

or an rga121 if you can still find one?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd say your best option is some kind of superstrat with a high output passive bridge humbucker and a lower output neck pickup, either a lower output humbucker or a single coil.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I'd say your best option is some kind of superstrat with a high output passive bridge humbucker and a lower output neck pickup, either a lower output humbucker or a single coil.

RG
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
RG

Or, you know, an LTD or a Schecter or whatever is in OP's price range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hi again,
thanks for the suggestions, right now I'm leaning towards the RG series or LTD. Does anyone know any specific models that would be suitable? Clueless when it comes to pickups.

Dave - 1451 was a bit out of my price range mate.
really? it's like £570 on thomann... wait until the exchange rate gets a bit better (fingers crossed) and it'd probably just sneak in under budget.

obviously if you like it, lol. if you don't then obviously don't get one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You might wanna note that the tonal response of a basswood guitar is quite different from that of a mahogany guitar.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
My suggestion is an ESP LTD H-1000FM. Very comfortable guitar, high quality components, and of course EMGs.

ESP LTD H-1000FM Specs (straight from their website):
Set-Thru Construction
25.5" Scale
Mahogany Body
Flamed Maple Top
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
42mm Standard Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
24 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
ESP Locking Tuners
Tonepros Locking TOM Bridge
EMG 81 (B) / 85 (N) Active p.u.
Finish: See Thru Black Cherry or See Thru Black

I'm not sure about availability/price in your area but I highly recommend the guitar. The neck allows for some awesome shredding.

I just recently acquired an ESP LTD H-1000FR for $800 USD (about £500). It's the Floyd Rose version of the ESP LTD H-1000FM and I love this guitar to death. It's the best quality metal guitar in that price range IMHO.

Best of luck to you in finding your guitar!
I hate to break this to you... you have Xuefei Yang in your artist list...

EMGs are gonna rape your tone... no frakking way you'll get a clean tone for the type of music she plays.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I can honestly say. Go with something that isn't an entry/ low level guitar. And given your budget you'll do fine.

I recommend Jackson and ESP/LTD guitars.
Hopefully getting a dean soon.

But really, go for what you like. If you don't like it sell it. I'd say, if you don't know what you like, shop for a used guitar because you can sell it for just as much as you bought it for if not more in some cases.

Good luck!!
Second hand RG1570, then buy the pickups of your choice.

Fantastic guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Most Superstrats will suit your needs, TS.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by ragingkitty
You might wanna note that the tonal response of a basswood guitar is quite different from that of a mahogany guitar.

true. did he say he wanted mahogany? or are you just pointing it out as an aside?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
true. did he say he wanted mahogany? or are you just pointing it out as an aside?

Just to make sure here, mahogany would be much preferred over basswood for the tone I'm interested in right?

I've looked up everyones suggestions, unfortunately a lot of them don't seem to be available online from UK based stores.

Anyone know anything similar to this but without the FR?
ESP LTD MH-350
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/esp-guitars-mh-350-fr-see-thru-black-cherr--72070
Not really

Yeah, look for a 2ne hand LTD MH400NT.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Not really

+1

i wouldn't really say either would be the standout obvious choice. It's going to boil down to personal preference and the rest of your rig, i'd have thought.

re basswood vs mahogany, i mean.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Schecter Hellraiser C-1.
Love it. Should be like 550 euros I believe, here in America it's 800$.
Ok decided that Hellraiser C-1 without the FR is what I'm looking at more. In stock here and found some at a decent price. Anyone know any reason I shouldn't get a Hellraiser over another model in the price range? Will probably order tommorrow.

Thanks alot for the help guys, really liked some of the other suggestions but trying to find them in the UK when you live in the middle of nowhere is a nightmare.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I can't really recall... I think it was in reference to some of the guitar suggestions.

TS, need to point out again since you didn't seem to have noticed my post, your EMGs aren't going to give you good cleans.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Nemm
Ok decided that Hellraiser C-1 without the FR is what I'm looking at more. In stock here and found some at a decent price. Anyone know any reason I shouldn't get a Hellraiser over another model in the price range? Will probably order tommorrow.

Thanks alot for the help guys, really liked some of the other suggestions but trying to find them in the UK when you live in the middle of nowhere is a nightmare.

They are massively over priced and over rated?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1344646

There is one of those on flea bay, should go for around your budget.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by ragingkitty
I can't really recall... I think it was in reference to some of the guitar suggestions.

TS, need to point out again since you didn't seem to have noticed my post, your EMGs aren't going to give you good cleans.

Yes of course, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that I could switch between EMGs and the strat before for some reason haha. When you say it can't produce good cleans are you saying it can't produce a clean tone without any hint of distortion or that it would lack depth etc?
Quote by Nemm
Yes of course, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that I could switch between EMGs and the strat before for some reason haha. When you say it can't produce good cleans are you saying it can't produce a clean tone without any hint of distortion or that it would lack depth etc?

The tone will sound flat, sterile and cold... sorta like a lot of life has been taken away.

There are some people who have used EMG for some cleans which sounded good, but by and large, EMGs just sound sterile. Also I can't recall what amp you're using, but try to avoid EMGs unless you're packing a tube amp, and even then you might need to twiddle with your volume knob to prevent unwanted clipping.

Oh i didn't realise you're looking at EMG60, they're better than the 81s and 85s... but if you want better warmth stick with passives.

If you're aware of this and have tested the guitar, by all means go ahead.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 13, 2011,
EMG 60 does awesome cleans IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
EMG 60 does awesome cleans IMO

Different cuts methinks... I find it not too dissimilar from 81s or 85. Its a definite improvement.. but the sterility is still there IMO.

Maybe its because I moved from DiMarzios / Seymour Duncans -> EMG -> Bare Knuckles...

The difference was day and night when I got the Bare Knuckles. I can't hear EMGs now and not cringe at how flat they sound.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Nemm
Been using a Squier Strat the last 8 years and bought a Peavey Vypyr 30 last year.

Digital modeling amp. No EMG's. Period.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Digital modeling amp. No EMG's. Period.

Bullshit.

EMGs work fine through the Vypyr and he would find that the vypyr is fine until he has money to upgrade his amp.

I am bed bound today so had a look for some good deals for you...

LTD Viper 500

LTD Ec500

LTD EC401

Fender Jim Root Strat

Fender Jim Root Tele

Epiphone Prophecy SG

Ibanez MTM2

Washburn x50

Washburn x50

All in budget, all spec'd as you want. If you cant find something good in that lot well....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
They are massively over priced and over rated?

+1

schecter prices in the UK are verging on laughable to anyone who's not a fanboy, if you ask me. And that's even when you look at the prices of most of the other stuff, which is rarely amazing value here either.

washburn x50 pro (as you listed later) might be worth a try. if you can still find one, there was an EMG model too (which was a little dearer, but still reasonable compared to schecter prices).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I found two in my very very brief search.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 2