Hello all.

I need to do this presentation tommorow in philosophy and I just can't find an answer to this question.
Why are there addcitions?
Well I can give a real answer but it needs to be about philosophy and shit and please help me with this question.
Also make another one of these questions and please answer those as well.
I need to do this good else I'll repeat class 2!
Remember about philosophy.
Because we are biologically inclined to seek pleasure?

Edit: inb4 do your own homework!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Chemical stimulations in the brain. I'm awful at biology, so I can't really explain beyond that without losing myself, so I'll wait for someone who can explain this stuff to do so.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Because if you use some substances often your body will not be able to function without them.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Because we are biologically inclined to seek pleasure?

Edit: inb4 do your own homework!

Thank you.
Ill say my answer will be that most of us seek pleasure and once we have it it's hard to let go off it.
It's not really philosophy but it will get through.
Not sure if it relates to philosophy as much as psychology or biology but I would say many addictions happen from some kind of emptiness within a person. A person might feel a void in their life, and then they fill the void with an addiction. Some people are mentally healthy enough that they grow from troubles in their lives, but others self destruct from the hardships.
Basically, you come to love something so much that you feel you can't live without it. With drugs, there are all sorts of withdrawal symptoms too.
There are many different kinds of addiction and they happen for all kinds of different reasons both psychological and physiological. "Why is there addiction" is not really a philosophical question. A better question is perhaps, "why can't we control addiction?"
Quote by joemama9119
There are many different kinds of addiction and they happen for all kinds of different reasons both psychological and physiological. "Why is there addiction" is not really a philosophical question. A better question is perhaps, "why can't we control addiction?"

Well it's the same answer because once we find luck we won't want to let go of it.
I'll just change the question.
I think one of the factors is escapism. Like how these celebrities get addicted to cocaine and stuff because they can't handle fame..
I don't know much about the subject, but they're caused by some chemical in the brain. That has more to do with biology than philosphy. I guess if you're trying to look at from a philosphical point, it'd be more like why do people desperately seek some things. I guess you could say people like to have a sense of belonging and want to feel like they're full, I suppose you could say, and satisfied. People don't like that empty feeling, and addiction is caused by a sudden filling of that emptiness. That just manifests itself into an obsession and feeling like you HAVE to have something.

I dunno.
It's a biological effect. To be honest, the reasons for addiction (assuming we're talking about substances here) aren't philosophical...at all.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Because drugs replace naturally occurring chemicals in your body, your body stops producing those chemicals after a period of drug use. You body craves those chemicals when you sober up/come down.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
To cull the weak.
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
This thread has got 'reason' and 'cause' all mixed up.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Experiment -> Feel Good -> Few More Times -> Your Body Needs It
Its called "Dopamine"

Its a chemical in your brain that causes addiction, some people have more dopamine than others, thus some people become easily addicted to things and some people don't
Want to leave hurtful comments about me and my band on youtube!?!?!? Click the link below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWguqmZB34

Quote by Tragic Mulatto
as long as you are in this thread you are in my vagina.
Quote by Twist of fate
Guys what does a heroin overdose feel like?

Although I don't know, I'm guessing it probably feels great.
Just write "Why aren't there addictions?" and you'll probably get an A.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by the bartender
This thread has got 'reason' and 'cause' all mixed up.

Lol I know.
I can see this turning in a troll thread so might be a good laugh after all.
There are different types of "addiction". As normally used in medicine, it refers to the condition caused mostly by opiate drugs and their synthetic analogs. These drugs not only cause measurable effects on brain chemistry, they produce an imbalance that after a period of time causes the body to require the drug in order to function normally.
Without getting into the complexities of brain chemistry, they greatly alter the production and uptake/reuptake of various neurotransmitters like dopamine, neoephinephrine, and others.

In short, if the drug is withdrawn, violent physical and mental symptoms rapidly occur. The result can be fatal.

Only certain classes of drugs cause such symptoms. Other drugs cause powerful psychological dependencies without the severe physical symptoms.
In addition, it's possible to become psychologically "addicted" to nearly anything; this is related to obsessive/compulsive syndromes and are the result of disturbances in basic brain "wiring".

As to "why"? We are subject to our biology.
Last edited by Bikewer at Jun 7, 2011,
because the guys that had no addictions died out thousands of years ago because they had no will to live.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I haven't taken a philosophy course yet, but you could point out that some argue that people act only in self interest, and the easily induced pleasure from doing something like playing a video game/taking a drug will initially cause that person to slowly turn it into a habit (rat pulling the lever for the pellet).

Eventually the person's thought process changes to include that action in their daily lives, but the utility received from that stimulus will slowly decrease, causing the person to take in more, etc.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jun 7, 2011,