Page 1 of 2
So over last few months or so I've started learning as many styles of music on guitar as possible. I've tried pretty much everything from classical to reggae. Before I could sit down and write an amazing metal riff without even thinking about it. Now I actually think musically and think about what Im writing, and the riffs I write suck. I mean I could always tune to drop D and write mediocre riffs, but then I'd sound like Avenged Sevenfold. (Did I hit a nerve, fanboys?) Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice for me?
you're a stone fox
Before I could sit down and write an amazing metal riff without even thinking about it.

I mean I could always tune to drop D and write mediocre riffs

Just...
It's quite possible you've become what they call an elitist.
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
Quote by smokeysteve22
Just Get out.

I believe you have no authority over me.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Alex Vik
It's quite possible that your metal riffs don't seem as awesome after listening to all sorts of good music now.

I think this might be true, but it's not only that I cant write but I can barely play metal anymore. Even weirder is that I kept practicing metal through all the other styles.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
I believe you have no authority over me.

In serious though, i think everyone goes through this kind of stage.

(Aside from listening to avenged sevenfold)
Quote by smokeysteve22
In serious though, i think everyone goes through this kind of stage.

(Aside from listening to avenged sevenfold)

I dont listen to A7X if that's what your saying. I was attempting to piss off fanboys.
you're a stone fox
Ahh, jumping on the Avenged-Sevenfold-hating bandwagon. Aren't you so tough and mighty now.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Learn songs, a lot of them! That is the best way, seriously.

You will improve in a much grander degree, in terms of composing, if you do so.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Maybe your "amazing" riffs just never were that amazing. Listening to different music and broadening your palette probably trained your ear a little better. Also, I'm no fan-boy, but the fact that you would insult any band just to "piss off fan-boys" makes you seem like an immature twat.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Well it's like this for me. Before I wasn't so keen on pop songs because I was a die hard grunge fan with Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains being my favourite. I started listening to a lot of Chinese Pop music about 3/4 years ago (I disliked it growing up) and now I can't even begin to understand why I ever preferred rock music over Chinese pop/RnB/Rap. I now exclusively listen to Chinese music and prefer to keep it that way. I'm not so keen on English music anymore because the quality, as far as I'm concerned, is not there. English music has lacked a lot of ballads and melody which I seem to prefer now. English music to me is too bland and I disliked it whenever someone recommends me something or I hear something English.

This is solely my opinion.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by Saint78
So over last few months or so I've started learning as many styles of music on guitar as possible. I've tried pretty much everything from classical to reggae. Before I could sit down and write an amazing metal riff without even thinking about it. Now I actually think musically and think about what Im writing, and the riffs I write suck. I mean I could always tune to drop D and write mediocre riffs, but then I'd sound like Avenged Sevenfold. (Did I hit a nerve, fanboys?) Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice for me?
This is not a problem. Teh br00tz sucks, melody is the way to go.
I used to be a god at writing metalcore-ish riffs, now the only thing I can do is black metal and ambient-emo-post-rock crap.

EDIT: I hate metalcore now for the record; I just wish I could write more metal. I used to listen to a lot of different stuff, now it's pretty much all black metal and power metal, with a bit of deathcore. Also some post-rock and IDM, but mostly the metal.
>feelsbadman.jpg
sunbather is shit
Last edited by beefcake122 at Jun 7, 2011,
I am only capable of writing Thrash and Death Metal songs. Looks like you're SOL.
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Since I got a new acoustic 3 months or so ago, I pretty much stopped listening to metal altogether and definitely stopped writing it. Focused on a lot of folk, a bit of blues, some indie rock etc. Since it's easier to record an acoustic, I had more motivation to write. As of the last couple of weeks, I've got back into metal, and am writing far more proficiently and maturely than I was before. It's not just about teh br00tz. If you can write a good riff on acoustic..or even on a piano, then chances are it will sound good through a Triple Rec. A lot of musicality and forethought goes into the best metal riffs.
TS tune your guitar down to drop G and do the following things in various patterns: chug, djent, woo.

E.G CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG WOO! DJENT DJENT DJENT

Remember you have to set a metronome and play in 13/8 time.

Or you could just you know... listen to lots of different metal bands and find out what you think is a way of riffing and use that as inspiration until you find your own metal style?
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
I could do a whole rant about your silly little thread and your newfound musical education, but it would be pointless. I will however say this for the amusement of others: listen to ts's "solo in D" and chuckle.
Quote by Harmonius
Well it's like this for me. Before I wasn't so keen on pop songs because I was a die hard grunge fan with Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains being my favourite. I started listening to a lot of Chinese Pop music about 3/4 years ago (I disliked it growing up) and now I can't even begin to understand why I ever preferred rock music over Chinese pop/RnB/Rap. I now exclusively listen to Chinese music and prefer to keep it that way. I'm not so keen on English music anymore because the quality, as far as I'm concerned, is not there. English music has lacked a lot of ballads and melody which I seem to prefer now. English music to me is too bland and I disliked it whenever someone recommends me something or I hear something English.

This is solely my opinion.

Wow, Marty Friedman is on this forum?

But seriously: cover alot of songs from different styles. I did it (and I absolutely hate playing covers) but it really improved my play and songwritingskills.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vixen
Ibanez RG7321
Cort G210
Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Goldtop
Laboga Mr. Hector
Randall 4x12
Boss MT 2
Boss BD 2
Boss DD3
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Saint78
I dont listen to A7X if that's what your saying. I was attempting to piss off fanboys.

Quote by Colgate Total
I have my girlfriend's Facebook password. Which means she clicked "Remember Password" when she logged in on my laptop. Which means this is a test. That bitch.
the butthurt a7x fans are gathering, ready to enter the pit to defend their beloved group.

(Invalid img)
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
Quote by SheKILaDZE
I could do a whole rant about your silly little thread and your newfound musical education, but it would be pointless. I will however say this for the amusement of others: listen to ts's "solo in D" and chuckle.

I listened to it as well and chuckled.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Once you realize that metal sucks, you'll be like, "Wow, metal sucks.".

So, I would become a douchebag?
How about this? Send it to 10 of your friends. See what they say about your stuff. Let them comment anonymously by setting up some online notepad thingy.
If that's too hard, just post them online.
Worship black metal terror and goat penis reprisal black ejaculation over holy *****.No false, only black,ever black.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by skylerjames13

So did I.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by Alex Vik
It's quite possible that your metal riffs don't seem as awesome after listening to all sorts of good music now.

This man makes a good point. My advice? Learn more classical music, as it's the best guitar music to be played.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
....so basically your question is how do you become more br00t4l again?

That's hilarious.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by skylerjames13

Whats sad is I did too. I made that before I learned any music theory whatsoever.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Xiaoxi
....so basically your question is how do you become more br00t4l again?

That's hilarious.

If this be the case, I have the treatment.

Get these following discographies:
Devourment
Begging For Incest
Abominable Putridity
Necrophagist
Decrepit Birth
Cannibal Corpse
and throw in some Quo Vadis for some melody.

Learn the music from these bands, and feel the coursing brutality through your veins. The metal shall come young grasshopper.

Also don't take advice from Jack Black. He be a false prophet.
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Quote by Metallicaxp
If this be the case, I have the treatment.

Get these following discographies:
Devourment
Begging For Incest
Abominable Putridity
Necrophagist
Decrepit Birth
Cannibal Corpse
and throw in some Quo Vadis for some melody.

Learn the music from these bands, and feel the coursing brutality through your veins. The metal shall come young grasshopper.

Also don't take advice from Jack Black. He be a false prophet.

You can skip all of this and just take steroid. Same thing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2