I'm looking to spend $2000-2500 on a new guitar/amp combo to play in my house to company a 75 Watt bass amp or an acoustic drum set played by others. I want to practically live with this guitar in my hands so it needs to be comfortable. I love the feel and sound of a custom 24 (probably the thinner neck and body) but it would blow my budget all on the guitar portion of the setup if I got the standard Custom 24. I like the idea of a Mesa Boogie 5:25 amp or something similar. Pretty small but with awesome tone is the ideal. Will the SE Paul Reed Smith give me the sound I crave? I want the versatility to play Blues, Rock, and some Metal (I have pedals) and other stuff to make me a well rounded musician. My favorite tone is from the band Opeth.

Edit: Used is fine, I live in the United States in a medium sized city.

Can you give me any advice? I love you guys by the way <3
Last edited by Aegaris at Jun 7, 2011,
go to a guitar shop. explain what you want. try their suggestions.

you really have a very broad series of desires, and its gonna be tough to help you out unless you can really narrow it down. go to a shop and see what you like and what you don't
Quote by krehzeekid
go to a guitar shop. explain what you want. try their suggestions.

you really have a very broad series of desires, and its gonna be tough to help you out unless you can really narrow it down. go to a shop and see what you like and what you don't

Alright, good advice. I do have a shop in town that I love to support too.
I've found (from owning them) that the SE series is super versatile. I use mine in a lot of different settings. I lead worship for my church and school, and these guitars provide a fantastic clean tone and a wonderful crunch tone for softer distortions. As a hobbyist, though, I play hard rock and metal. Through my Mesa (or any Mesa with a gain knob and/or a boost) this thing can handle both beautifully. It's truly an amazing guitar.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
If you like Opeth buy a Laney GH100L/GH50L/VH100R. They're not that expensive, they sound great and you can get them with EL34's or 6L6's. I've got EL34's in mine and the amp sound amazing.

One thing to remember is that the Laneys are louder than hell so you might wanna buy a Laney LC30/LC50 which is basically the same amp but it's a combo.

And if you decide to go with the Laney, you'll be left with about $1800 and with that you could probably get a used Custom 24 or buy the SE version and get some new pups or something?
unless the shop is very, very good (to the extent of being so nice it's almost shooting itself in the foot), if you ask them for help you run the risk of their selling you what they want rid of, rather than what you want.

Much like lawyers, never ask a question in a shop to which you don't already know the answer.

i'm not that fussed on the ses... i mean they're alright, but with your budget i think you can do a lot better.

maybe look into some smaller brands? there are bound to be some smaller custom shops in the US with good prices.

save around $1000-$1500 for the amp, depending on the tones you want.

Quote by Gibson785150

One thing to remember is that the Laneys are louder than hell so you might wanna buy a Laney LC30/LC50 which is basically the same amp but it's a combo.

nah not really. they're completely different.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You should beable to find a used CU 22/24 for around $1500 if you look hard enough. Have you even thought of the CE 22/24 they are great and are the same as the customs only they have a bolt on Maple neck. You can find them used for around the $1000 area some times they can go for as little as $700. Even the Mirra is nice if you can ever find one in stock to try-out. Look at Used Mesa's the DC series is great and is the precurser to the Rectofier. My budy has the DC-3 combo and it will do Blues to Metal with out a problem. You can find them at pretty diecent $ if you look.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
unless the shop is very, very good (to the extent of being so nice it's almost shooting itself in the foot), if you ask them for help you run the risk of their selling you what they want rid of, rather than what you want.

Much like lawyers, never ask a question in a shop to which you don't already know the answer.

i'm not that fussed on the ses... i mean they're alright, but with your budget i think you can do a lot better.

maybe look into some smaller brands? there are bound to be some smaller custom shops in the US with good prices.

save around $1000-$1500 for the amp, depending on the tones you want.

nah not really. they're completely different.

you have had bad shop experiences then? I find that it is important to find salespeople that you genuinely trust and who take the time to listen to you
Gibson SG Standard or any similar guitar and a Mesa Dual Rec with matching cab should serve you well.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

You better buy a nice amp, like Mesa Mark IV (too expensive for you, I think), or Marshall (JCM900 or JCM800 or something like that). Then buy a decent and easy to play guitar with good pickups.
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
Anybody who's recommending 50W+ guitar amps to compete with a 75w bass amp has obviously never had to compete with a 75w bass amp.

Depending on the speaker arrangement of the Bass Amp, my 30w Solid State practice amp can overpower it easily (1x12 Peavey Combo is unheard, but with a 4X10 extension cab the bass dominates). Anything more than 20 or 30 Watts tube would be overkill, and a 100w Marshall head is ludicrous.

I always thought the only question you could ask is; "Do you have _______ in stock?"
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
^ nah you can ask whatever you want- advice regarding gear, what other gear they think will also do what you want, etc. etc.

Quote by krehzeekid
you have had bad shop experiences then? I find that it is important to find salespeople that you genuinely trust and who take the time to listen to you

oh i've had good shop experiences too- I'm not saying that all guitar shop workers are crooks. But I've been told enough guff that I err on the side of caution, and advise others to do the same.

Like, some ridiculous levels of BS. I mean I play my cards pretty close to my chest, normally. If I catch someone lying to me I'll very rarely even let on that I know. But some of the ridiculous things I've been told in guitar shops shocked me so much that I had it out of me before I even realised. "LOLWUT?" sorta springs to mind...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?