Hey I've always been kind of old school with recording and preferred to just use my 8 track but I've recently snaked me a copy of ableton live offline and I'm loving everything except for the fact I don't know much about the whole midi thing and/or guitar to computer cables so I was wondering if anybody could recommend me some quality stuff I could purchase to make this as painless as possible, thanks in advance

...By the way what're you guys' thoughts on ableton live opposed to fl studio (fruity loops is getting fancy) I got me a copy of fl studio 9 for shites and giggles but this ableton binge has kept me from checking it out in too much depth
I use Ableton Live, and I love it. Some of the built in effects are fantastic, plus I've just used it to a point where I'm comfortable with it.

Midi is basically just a generic file that contains the notes and tempo of a track. This is useful because you can use a free program such as TuxGuitar to write drum, bass, or synth tracks and then export them as a midi file and stick them in Ableton. In Ableton, you can then set the various instruments to play said tracks, use the drum rack to construct your own drum set using samples, and tweak them with effects to your heart's content.

But as for suggestions for you, it depends on what you plan on recording and your budget. You can get an interface (which just plugs into a USB port) pretty cheap. I recommend a Lexicon Lambda (or Omega, depending on your budget) or a M-Audio Fast Track MKII or whatever. Both of these have phantom power, which can power any of your condenser mics. I think you can find those interfaces used from about $90-120 pretty easily, and they work well. If you want to record live drums or such, you'll need something with many more inputs, and I suggest the Tascam US-2000 from personal experience. I found it for $350 new, you can probably get it cheaper used.

Hopefully this helps. I assume you have a mic since you've been using an 8-track, and you would hook it up the same way to the interface. You can also investigate amp sims with an interface; there's a great thread on them in this forum, I suggest you take a look at it, as they're extremely useful.

Hope this helps.
CrossBack7 covered it well -- all I have to say is that I'm not too sure a Tascam US-2000 can track all of its inputs into separate audio tracks if it's a USB. I think you need Firewire to do that, like a Presonus Firestudio. You just want to be sure you can mix your drum tracks after you've recorded them (if that's at all what you are going to do!)
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by KeeF23

...By the way what're you guys' thoughts on ableton live opposed to fl studio (fruity loops is getting fancy) I got me a copy of fl studio 9 for shites and giggles but this ableton binge has kept me from checking it out in too much depth

I have converted all my work to FL Studio as its finally advanced to the stage where it makes sense but that is just my opinion. I use to use Cooledit and Cubase back in the day, but I like the way FL is setup. It works great for me.

I have Ableton Live (came with my newest interface), but I haven't even really used it once.

In reality just find one you want to use. With plugins there isn't a lot you can't do in any of them. (Except FL doesn't have the easiest automation of tempo changes to understand.)
Last edited by FireHawk at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by derekgray
CrossBack7 covered it well -- all I have to say is that I'm not too sure a Tascam US-2000 can track all of its inputs into separate audio tracks if it's a USB. I think you need Firewire to do that, like a Presonus Firestudio. You just want to be sure you can mix your drum tracks after you've recorded them (if that's at all what you are going to do!)

Lol, how would that even be possible? Of course it can. I can promise you that it can; I own one.