Ok so i learned to play the main riffs for Metallica's Seek n destroy apart from the solo and the faster bit as im not advanced enough or confident enough in my bluesy techniques enough yet to give it a pop. But anyways im trying to learn to count.

I can play along to the track fine and in time but when i try and count it out loud or in my head i can barely play a note lol it throws me right out of the window i just screw it up entirley even at the start on the intro ill try it super slow and im still not cracking it.
The tracks in 4/4 so ill usualy try count 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. you know what i mean.

I know some will say i dont have to do it but i WANT to i beliave if i can learn to count stuff properly then ill be able to improvise a million times better and play harder stuff better too.

i would appreciate it immensly if sumone could assist me with this on exactly how to count the piece especialy the intro. all constructive critisim and advice ect is realy appreciated thanks for your time.
metronome
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
you could do what i do and count by headbanging or tapping you foot or clicking your teeth and not count in numbers
Quote by AtTheGates\m/
you could do what i do and count by headbanging or tapping you foot or clicking your teeth and not count in numbers

Thanks m8 i kinda do that already but i realy want to be able to count it out loud for a more solid mental grasp of the timing.

(edit) I can feel it but i cant physicaly count it its weird and hard for me to explain but counting it out loud is a challange for me its like the rubbing your hand and on your belly in oppasite directions sort of thing. i realy feel i have to break that boundry.
Last edited by asmileyfish at Jun 7, 2011,
i tap my foot, pretty much constantly when playing guitar. it really helps, also maybe download the guitar pro of it, and put the metronome on and play to that.
Quote by wozzsta
i tap my foot, pretty much constantly when playing guitar. it really helps, also maybe download the guitar pro of it, and put the metronome on and play to that.

Thanks but im too poor n cant afford the program.
Quote by asmileyfish
Thanks but im too poor n cant afford the program.

Tuxguitar is free and opens GP files.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Tuxguitar is free and opens GP files.

thanks ill check that out now
Ok i downloaded the tux guitar program and i noticed the measures are numberd so do i count the measures like 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and.... not the notes within it?
I've posted this link a solid 30-40 times... and I think this will be exactly what you need.

Its a lecture by Anthony Wellington and Victor Wooten talking to a class about time. He splits time into 16 sub divisions and has the class identify and play each sub division.

This is a way to visualize time... but the ultimate goal is to be able to feel each of the subdivisions without even thinking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/antwellington#p/a/u/0/8Sw_trDFJw8
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
I've posted this link a solid 30-40 times... and I think this will be exactly what you need.

Its a lecture by Anthony Wellington and Victor Wooten talking to a class about time. He splits time into 16 sub divisions and has the class identify and play each sub division.

This is a way to visualize time... but the ultimate goal is to be able to feel each of the subdivisions without even thinking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/antwellington#p/a/u/0/8Sw_trDFJw8

Thanks for that ill go watch it now. im sorry m8 i didnt see it before

this tux guitar program is awsome too.
IMHO, your best off just getting a metronome. I can't count and play either, I concentrate too much on my counting and not enough on my playing. Put a metronome on though and I can play in time to that fine, I'll usually just count what bar I'm on doing that, and event then I'll only do count that when I'm playing something that repeats, or when there's several bars of rests.