I am looking for a bone saddle/nut combo. Not too expensive. I've seen some as high as $60 plus. I've seen cattle bone & camel bone so far at reasonable prices. Some don't even say what kind of bone it is. What is the best type for the least amount of money for inexpensive guitar?

ALSO...how do you determine the pin size you need?

I've seen complete bone sets from Hong Kong reasonably priced. Anyone ever purchase from the other side of the world?
I have buffolo bone saddle, nut and pins on my guitar, and they're all nice and clear, helping bring out the zingy brightness on my otherwise dark sounding cedar top guitar.

I got my whole set for £30 (English), which seems to match up to what you pay in dollars. Just make sure you know what you're doing, when you change your hardware though.
Mate Im just in the same process on a Dobro I have (broke the nut taking off the strings go figure must have been weak) I looked at the Honk Kong combos, & decided against them. as they were allready shaped & slotted, call me crazy but if fitting a new nut saddle or bridge it IMHO needs to be taylored to the individual guitar. So with that in mind I would suggest Stew Mac as I have purchased untold guitar parts & complete kits from them & have complete confidence in what Im buying & that if it is incorrect they will change it (for the cost of the post)
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Vintage_Bone_Nuts.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=250

petscar the bridge pins sizing them is done by the angle they are generally
3 degree or 5 degree are common bridge pin sizes. The angle on the pin matches the angle on the inside of the bridge plate so that the string when inserted will jam under the bridge plate & not move.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jun 7, 2011,
I use doggie bones from Petco... You can buy a nice big one for about 5 bucks and get enough material for dozens of nuts and saddles...

Bone is bone, pretty much. "Exotic" materials are, in my opinion, merely an attempt to withdraw more of your money from your wallet.
Hard to disagree with the above post... Just buy a standard item from StewMac.
Yep BONE IS BONE (well not quite true Im not putting my bone on there) lol. I have used a toothbrush handle as a nut, I have used a piece of a Playstation 2 casing as a saddle. & a piece of a stainless steel Bar-B-Que mate tool as a saddle, granite for a nut, whatever does the job is my ethos.

Oh I have pics of each of the saddles/nuts made out of the above mentioned stuff. In case you think Im full of it lol
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
HINT: If you drop the different saddles on to a glass counter, you can hear the different densities of the material. cheers
Last edited by tuxs at Jun 7, 2011,
some bone even from the same animal is more porous and some is much less porous. you want your nut and saddle with as little porosity as possible. the reason that a lot of acoustic guitar owners go to bob colosi for bone nuts, saddles and pins is that he doesn't use the more porous parts of the bone - people i know get much better results from his stuff. http://www.guitarsaddles.com/
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Likely you wouldn't want to use rib material..... Doggie bones are from the heavy leg bones of cattle and are about as dense as it comes.... They are also dried and sanitized and ready for cutting.
I just made a nice little curved nut for my first attempt at a cigar-box fiddle... Turned out quite well and sounds remarkably like a fiddle!