Page 1 of 6
here's nintendos new console

i havent decided if this is a huge gimmick or slightly cool, i have a feeling hte lag will be far worst than that of the kinect.

graphics are said to be about on par with current graphics of x360 and ps3, so pretty much a generation behind again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

the controller:

front faceplate:

goes to market for christmas 2012
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Jun 7, 2011,
Nintendo and their innovations
I think it's cool, and word is they're aiming for an older audience with more violent games. Probably gonna have a big pricetag though
...Yeah, we've already had a few pages of discussion about it in the gaming thread.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
This actually looks kind of cool...

Dunno.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by necrosis1193
...Yeah, we've already had a few pages of discussion about it in the gaming thread.

^This^
XBL: Kgrimes2
Steam: The_Anfauglir
Gamecenter: Kgrimes2
Wii Friend Code: 4970 3999 0634 0858
Twitter: KevinGrimes2
something as big as a new console deserves a thread that will be seen by more than the avid gaming thread readers, atleast imo.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
But why is the controller so big?

You don't need a TV?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
But why is the controller so big?

You don't need a TV?

small games can be played on it similar to a tablet is the word

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I just want it to not turn into a novelty item like the Wii.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
The new Wii doesn't look all that sleek, though. Hopefully it'll get a makeover before release.
XBL: Kgrimes2
Steam: The_Anfauglir
Gamecenter: Kgrimes2
Wii Friend Code: 4970 3999 0634 0858
Twitter: KevinGrimes2
This is Project Cafe right?
It's supposed to be far more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3

Not too keen on the controllers mind you. Especially with that massive screen

In fact:
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 7, 2011,
The new controller is an awesome idea. The amount of ideas that can be applied to this is staggering. It's basically a DS but with console games, and the fact that this will still work with the Wiimote+Nunchuck, opens up even MORE possibilities.

I don't think anyone has seen the full system yet. (all the pictures i'v seen of it have been front facing.) but i'v not seen any Gamecube memory card or controller ports, which is disappointing, but not unexpected.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I heard, and it's awesome. I'm just worried about how much it's going to cost, and the batteries the controller is going to use up is going to be piss annoying.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by JimmyBanks6
graphics are said to be about on par with current graphics of x360 and ps3, so pretty much a generation behind again.

If the screen on the controller has graphics to match the 360 then that's actually pretty damn impressive.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Watched the conference. The thing looks like it's going to be amazing, although I can't say I care for the name The controller does indeed support 1080p.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
i was stoked until i found out xmas 2012.... i really wish they'd dev games and release systems closer to their release dates. after waiting for a year and a half the people like me who get hit with initial excitement end up not caring 18 months later
Meh. It's a cool idea but I'm sure it would annoy me. Everybodyelse in my family would love it, though. I'd rather save money to buy the Playstation four in a few years. I prefer Sony's consoles to Nintendo's, to be honest.

Edit: I do not intend to start some stupid console war with this post.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by z4twenny
i was stoked until i found out xmas 2012.... i really wish they'd dev games and release systems closer to their release dates. after waiting for a year and a half the people like me who get hit with initial excitement end up not caring 18 months later

it gives them time to redesign that controller
which they really really need to do
Quote by Ichikurosaki
they call it that cuz when u see it u do a U TURN LOL

It looks very gimmicky but what do you expect from Nintendo? They're never going to try and take on the PS3 or 360 at their own game (pun very much intended). If they do it well, so many things could be applied, like a constant interactive HUD for RPG or even just action games. It also means games are not limited to just one set of controls.

Could be a lot of fun! If you don't like that sort of thing, there will always be Microsoft an Sony, or indeed the old Wii.
Wait until little kids leave those controllers n the floor and start running around in the dark.

*CRUNCH* there goes the screen.
Quote by greenelephants

It looks very gimmicky but what do you expect from Nintendo? They're never going to try and take on the PS3 or 360 at their own game (pun very much intended). If they do it well, so many things could be applied, like a constant interactive HUD for RPG or even just action games. It also means games are not limited to just one set of controls.

Could be a lot of fun! If you don't like that sort of thing, there will always be Microsoft an Sony, or indeed the old Wii.

i could of swore a while ago nintendo announced they were dropping the childy gimmicks and were going to release a more "hardcore" console, as it were

then they give us the wii 2

honestly, it doesnt bother me, ive never liked nintendo much in the first place, i just find it funny
I support Nintendo getting away from the crappy niche market they've been aiming at, but I'm defs not a fan of the controller. I'll buy it regardless for Zelda and Super Smash Bros though, who am I kidding.
I haven't been playing much video games lately, but I may think about getting this. Of course, I'm far too biased, having been a nintendo kid since the SNES.
Quote by Crofty89
If the screen on the controller has graphics to match the 360 then that's actually pretty damn impressive.

The controller streams games from the console, it doesn't actually have that graphical and processing power itself. Still it'd be cool if there is no lag.

I agree with Ichi though it is too big and extremely ugly. I don't think I'd ever get used to using it as a regular controller.
what's the point? the n64 was their best console and was completely revolutionary. nothing will be able to top that. games all follow that pattern now - especially games like mario and zelda which just build upon their initial 3D success.
it's been like 15 years since that console came out and the games are the same and play the same. only graphics are updated and a new controller style which actually sucks the fun out of video games by making you use too much effort. it's a computer game - you want to play an hour here or there to wind down after school/work.
saying that, zelda looks mighty fine in hd. i wouldn't mind playing twilight princess like that as i've yet to play it.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
I don't get why everybody passes innovation off as a gimmick.

Honestly, the same thing happened when nintendo announced the wii and it turned out to be a massive success, both in sales and in practice. Admittedly, when the wii was first introduced it had a few kinks, and developers have sort of slumped off development of hardcore games for the console in favor of...well...shit, but that isn't my point.

The sheer functionality of motion controls that the wii gave - especially when the motion plus was introduced - was sooo much more liberating than a standard controller. Honestly, after playing metroid prime on the wii (or any fps for that matter), I have a huge problem with using a gamepad for fps games. It just feels so natural to just point and shoot compared to fiddling around with joysticks on conventional game pads. Whether you like the system or not, you have to admit that it was revolutionary, and i don't see motion controls going away any time soon.

I have to admit though, when I first saw the Wii U I though it was going to be complete shit (and it may very well turn out to be) but after seeing the video of some of its applications, I have extremely high hopes.

In addition, if it weren't for nintendo taking these sort of risks, it is likely that we wouldn't have any development within gaming at all. If you look at what sony and microsoft are doing with their consoles, they are pretty much just making them more powerful and giving them better networking capabilities which is the exact same thing that has been going on since gaming was introduced. It's true that they are certainly joining in the race for motion controls but this was only after the wii proved to be such a success.

So in short, it may or may not be a gimmick but either way, I think that nintendo is on the right track, and I have a lot of respect for what they are doing.
The Wii was a gimmick because it didn't actually do what it was supposed to do. The original motion control was pitiful yet it still managed to become a selling point in spite of the systems dated graphics and non existent third party support.

The Wii U on the other hand looks like it may add some features that are beneficial to gameplay by giving added control possibilities and new game modes that are made possible by the controller. I'm not sold yet but it has a lot more potential than the Wii ever did.
Quote by superunknown

The sheer functionality of motion controls that the wii gave - especially when the motion plus was introduced - was sooo much more liberating than a standard controller. Honestly, after playing metroid prime on the wii (or any fps for that matter), I have a huge problem with using a gamepad for fps games. It just feels so natural to just point and shoot compared to fiddling around with joysticks on conventional game pads. Whether you like the system or not, you have to admit that it was revolutionary, and i don't see motion controls going away any time soon.

I agree. Wii fps games are actually pretty good if you adapt to the pointing, and then it is all reflexs and you instinctively turn. If this new system is actually a serious system, and not just a gimmick, it will blow the current systems away. Pretty soon you might see sony making controllers with screens on them, taking nintendos innovation and modding it slightly. *cough*playstation move *cough*
Quote by anvil is god
I agree. Wii fps games are actually pretty good if you adapt to the pointing, and then it is all reflexs and you instinctively turn. If this new system is actually a serious system, and not just a gimmick, it will blow the current systems away. Pretty soon you might see sony making controllers with screens on them, taking nintendos innovation and modding it slightly. *cough*playstation move *cough*

Sony already has a trick up their sleeve with the PSVita which will effectively be able to do everything the Wii U does when coupled with the PS3. They could steal the march on Nintendo if the Wii U takes its time to hit the market.
Quote by muffinduck01
but i'v not seen any Gamecube memory card or controller ports, which is disappointing, but not unexpected.

So?

Seriously, every Gamecube made is still alive, short of the bombed Gameboy, they're the finest example on Nintendium. Anyone with Gamecube games can still run them on a genuine Gamecube instead of relying on backwards compatibility.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by untalented
what's the point? the n64 was their best console and was completely revolutionary. nothing will be able to top that. games all follow that pattern now - especially games like mario and zelda which just build upon their initial 3D success.
it's been like 15 years since that console came out and the games are the same and play the same. only graphics are updated and a new controller style which actually sucks the fun out of video games by making you use too much effort. it's a computer game - you want to play an hour here or there to wind down after school/work.
saying that, zelda looks mighty fine in hd. i wouldn't mind playing twilight princess like that as i've yet to play it.

(Hey troll,) I'm a N64 fanboy too, and if that's the kind of gaming you're into, then that's fine. Hell, play any of those games on the virtual console with a gamecube controller, or use the original. You miss three points.

1. The reason that people want more games and game systems is because theres more puzzles, more challenges, more control schemes, more opportunity to recreate graphics standards, more opportunity to open the market to a new game type. You can't expect gaming to evolve by staying at consoles from 15 years ago.
2. The games are supposed to play the same, moving with two analog sticks and four buttons is what we're accustomed to, it's the software and how they use these to create new challenges for gamers as well as having new motion and tablet controls that allow the market to move.
3. It's a video game, sometimes you want to play a hour or two to solve puzzles, but you've obviously never played a game like Heavy Rain or Fallout 3 where the choices you make as a character affect your character, where the experience can be as tear drenching as a movie or as aggravating as tetris.

You should have a more open mind to the direction gaming is going, it's not just about making games and franchises anymore, we can feel emotions through games, we can challenge players by unheard of concepts (ever play portal? the first time you play it will make you think).

Educate yourself.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G