I own a 65 watt crate combo amp and i love the way it sounds, but when I turn the volume up to around 11 o'clock the built in 1x12 speaker just cant handle it and it buzzes and clips out constantly. This is a problem when I am jamming with my friends in our band as 10 o'clock is not loud enough to be heard over the drums. So my real question is, can I separate the head section of the amp and connect it to a 4x12 cabinet in order to use the head to its fullest potential at higher volumes? If I can could anyone help to explain the things I would need to do to create the separate "head" and to make it compatible with a common 4x12 speaker cabinet? By the way the amp already has a built in speaker out 1/4" jack on the front section. In case that is something I can use to connect to a cabinet. Thanks in advance UG.
Well take a cable from the speaker out on the Combo and plug that into the back of a 4x12.
Your amp probably has an external speaker put on the BACK (it' never in the front)
Just plug in an extension cab there, just make sure you check the impedance (if your amp need a 8ohm cab, don'T connect a 4ohm cab cuz it will damage your amp)
Also i don't know what model you have, but it also possible that your power amp clipping and not your speaker.

The best would be to just swap the combos speaker to a better, louder, more sensitive speaker like the celestion Vintage 30. That would be the best (and cheapest) solution
I know it seems strange but this model actually does have the speaker out jack on the front. The users manual I found online also says that when using the speaker out jack it can connect to any 4 ohm or greater resistance cab so I've solved that problem. Does anyone know if i can just convert the head of the combo into just a head easily to avoid the bulk of carrying the entire amp everywhere?
i have got to make a tutorial for doing this. i've done it four times. i'm going to go to the pawn shop this week.
Quote by xGeeTaR4LiFEx
I know it seems strange but this model actually does have the speaker out jack on the front. The users manual I found online also says that when using the speaker out jack it can connect to any 4 ohm or greater resistance cab so I've solved that problem. Does anyone know if i can just convert the head of the combo into just a head easily to avoid the bulk of carrying the entire amp everywhere?

I have done it and it is very easy.....one problem with doing it is the combo will have the transformer on the bottom of the chassis so when you mount it in a head sized housing it will have to be at to the top of the unit instead of how they usually are at the bottom (so if you think of a marshall, all the controls are below the logo....but your controls will end up above the logo)
^ it's hardly a problem though really??

Seeing as that's how they're house in the combo anyway?
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
If your talking about doing this:

then yes it is entirely possible. Took me a whole 20 minutes. Only difference with this one is i had to wire the speaker leads to 2 output jacks to be used with a stereo cab.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by sytharnia1560
I have done it and it is very easy.....one problem with doing it is the combo will have the transformer on the bottom of the chassis so when you mount it in a head sized housing it will have to be at to the top of the unit instead of how they usually are at the bottom (so if you think of a marshall, all the controls are below the logo....but your controls will end up above the logo)

Not all heads are like that. Really turning a combo into a head is more of a cabinetry excersise than an electronics one. There will be 2 leads going into a speaker in the combo as well as an external speaker output so you can just stick both of them at the back and give yourself 2 outputs.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by sytharnia1560

That is no problem. I could always just pull emblems off the combo and make a custom head that looks professional. It's just needs a standard head housing so it shouldn't be too big a deal. All I'll need is a metal grille or something to make it look nice. Thanks guys!
Yeah its not hard at all bro like i said took me 20 minutes. just cut, re-attach and wire up.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Wait wasnt there a super kick ass tutorial by cedricsmods about this same thing?
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Quote by MickAlmighty
^ it's hardly a problem though really??

Seeing as that's how they're house in the combo anyway?

Not sure why I used the word problem...your right it isn't a problem ....it's just that i'm so use to it being the other way round with my marshalls and blackstar that when I converted one I was like WTF
Quote by Fridge101
Wait wasnt there a super kick ass tutorial by cedricsmods about this same thing?

There is. I was going to suggest it to TS.
Where is Cedric anyways? I haven't seen him around for a long time.

It seems there's a new Combo to Head thread almost every week now. Popular mod these days.

EDIT:
Amps look sexier with the controls on top. Look at any Ampeg amp, vintage of course. They're so sexy that I can no longer invite women over to my house. They just orgasm and make a mess.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
The best would be to just swap the combos speaker to a better, louder, more sensitive speaker like the celestion Vintage 30. That would be the best (and cheapest) solution

The vintage 30 is only rated for 60W, running a 65W amp through that may cause some issues. probably wont run (what i assume is) a SS amp at full power, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

as for transfering your amp to a head form, the first step is to find the wires from the amp output to the speaker. should be two of them. next you need to detach those wires from the speaker. make sure you mark which goes to positive and which to negative, i typically just use a little piece of tape as a label. then you attach those wires to a mono jack, with the positive to tip and the negative to ring.

after that, the whole thing is just moving it to a new enclosure. you remove the screws holding the controls and circuits to the wooden box its in, and carefully pull it out. my old crate had a reverb tank or something below the speaker as well, so you have to check for that kind of thing when taking everything out. then you just build a new box to fit everything.