I'm okay with triplets/sextuplets/"dodecatuplets", but many solos from my favorite players have small runs that are grouped up in 5 or 7 notes per beat (along with other numbers). When I see these I usually freak out.

How do I practice these five or seven-note runs effectively? Or are they just "mistakes" that are played at high speeds (I often see them in Gilbert and Vai solos)?
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Definitely not mistakes. These guys are known for this kind of stuff.

Bust out a metronome and start slowly. You'll pick up on it quickly.
M.e.t.r.o.n.o.m.e :d
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Alright, that is what I had in mind, thanks
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
It's probably worth saying that unless we're talking specifically about Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, John Petrucci or Frank Zappa it's not a mistake but it's not strictly intentional either.

You'll likely find that during a lot of solos that have odd groupings like that, they're just playing and going for a feeling or getting a specific note on a specific beat and the rhythm just came out like that.

That's not to say it's not worth working on more unconventionally grouped playing, it very much is (just look at the guys I mentioned), but it's definitely something to keep in mind when looking at other people's work.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.