Page 1 of 5
Hey there writers of UG! This is for you. We've been hosting an ongoing competition for short stories! We're hoping that this thread will continue on. If you've any interest in writing, even if you've never tried, this is where to start! We will tell you how to do better.

The first one went very well, with 25 entrants and three judges, and the winner was dann_blood. The second round went just as well, and Sir Anonymous was crowned victor. In the third, Neopowell the PUSO was first place finisher. In the fourth round, webbtje took first place. In the fifth, Todd Hart pulled an upset for first with his first entry into this competition. The 6th round found vintage x metal victorious. The 7th was thebaron####. The most recent competition crowned mesopotamia (spelling?) first place finisher. All the threads can be found in the searchbar, and you can read the old stories in the threads and see old results there as well.

This tenth round will be Drabbles, unlike previous rounds.

The last few rounds we used 500 words, but this time the limit is 100 words. There is no cap on entrances, but you're limited to one story per user.

We need judges, however. Go ahead and volunteer to judge.

There is no theme necessary.
I love how the list only goes up to 8.

I may enter this round, 100 words sounds quite fun.

However, I'll have to wait till after the 26th, until then I need to revive.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
this sound interesting, I have wrote a couple of decent short stories, but shit, they are all in spanish, english is not my native language, and I don't even know how to write in English perfectly, and my vocabulary is limited, so I think I will pass for now.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Google translate? The only problem could be it taking you very literally.
100 words? This will take a lot of thought...
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I may try this for fun. I've only written one short story for my writing class but I may try again.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Todd Hart
Google translate? The only problem could be it taking you very literally.

I Don't know, google translate have disappointed me before, especially in grammar.

maybe I should try, excuse me, where I have to send the story?

how many time do we have to deliver it?
Quote by Våd Hamster

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Well if you like (and if it's within the rules) you could ask someone to go through it and alter any grammatical anomalies caused by Google Translate.

And as for time, the competition is usually open for about a month, but it's often delayed, so don't worry about having to rush or anything.
I don't post too often, but I'd be willing to be a judge. I'm finishing up my second year at Ohio University for a Creative Writing major, if you want any qualifications.

EDIT: Reason I'm volunteering to be a judge and not entering is cause I, admittedly, blow at writing stories, lol. I'm gonna be an editor.
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Last edited by Justin_43130 at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by Todd Hart
Well if you like (and if it's within the rules) you could ask someone to go through it and alter any grammatical anomalies caused by Google Translate.

And as for time, the competition is usually open for about a month, but it's often delayed, so don't worry about having to rush or anything.

nice, I'm in
Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by andras67
nice, I'm in

Well you should ask CaptainCrunk if you can have a person edit for you first.
100 words? -ponders- that's pretty dang short but I'll give it a go.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
I may have just written something genius for this in the past 5 minutes or something really, really horrid that will sink to the bottom of the barrel.
Quote by Todd Hart
I love how the list only goes up to 8.

I may enter this round, 100 words sounds quite fun.

However, I'll have to wait till after the 26th, until then I need to revive.

I realized that we'd be having a very long list of winners if I kept typing them that way. If anyone wants to make a list I'll paste it in there instead
Quote by Justin_43130
I don't post too often, but I'd be willing to be a judge. I'm finishing up my second year at Ohio University for a Creative Writing major, if you want any qualifications.

EDIT: Reason I'm volunteering to be a judge and not entering is cause I, admittedly, blow at writing stories, lol. I'm gonna be an editor.

You're a judge, but you'll actually have to pay attention to the thread. If you lurk a lot you'll be fine.
Nathanial Crowe looked at his feet. He was not one to stand up to authority, and he sure as hell was not going to try today. He had been beaten.

“Beaten by the best, lad,” he would be told later by the interrogating officer at the station just before he turned on the tape recorder. “He’s got us all beat and there’s not a fuckin’ thing we can do about it. I’m sorry, son. I really am.”

Senior Sergeant Doyle cuffed Nathanial and threw him down.

“No use in running, boy. I got you beat – I’ve got them all beat.”
I guess I'll follow then. Mine's somewhat of a poem.

The Old Bell Tower

It's ten o'clock, and yet another mundane day must begin.
Let the old bell tower grasp again the life I live.
If only I were dreaming... I'd have the very thing I desire.
Choice.
Pure choice.
But no matter.
I have the patience.
Tonight I'll awaken once again.
Those bells will lose their grasp.
I'll experience the breath of life again.
My only hope this time is to remember...
Remember the feeling of absolute power I so yearn.
I often choose my words wisely to describe this feeling...
But no matter what, however, I always end just one short.
I'm in a heavy editing process right now. Trying to make every word important and interesting in this word limit is quite fun.
I looked up at her. She tended her lips to stay perfectly red, like two cartoon leeches curled into a sinister smirk, despite all the cigarettes and lack of fucks to give about other matters.
‘What are you thinking about?’
‘I don’t really know, Katie. Are you still living with Emily?’
‘No, she’s not the most tolerant person. Anyway, it’s Kat, remember?’
‘Is that what you go by now? ‘
‘You’re always so snide.’
‘I don’t mean to be.’
Her eyes flickered sadly. I really don’t mean to be, Katie.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Recycling an old piece. I don't care though... it's one of my favorites. Written as a narrative in "poem" style.

Quote by ZanasCross

---Of the Fourth (Mechanism)---

He stumbled forward,
face alight with joy or starvation.
Exhaustion, his name.
His hands he called, “macabre”
his feet, grace…
until he fell.

. . .

The sabbath matron asked his name,
no answer, so she wiped his brow:
"Lord, let him come back to me."

"Ke…Kenneettth."
His head rest in her lap,
basting in the light of the lord,
pounding.
"Where are you from, Kenneth?"
Muttering. "F…fourth mechanism."

"You devil!" the matron screamed, "Anti-Christ!"

Rugged mouth corners twitch,
eyes wide,
This is not Kenneth.
Muscles bulge,
The fourth mechanism had come,
the quake had arrived,
the gears of hell were in motion.

100 words, if you don't count the three dots that are signifying a time lapse. Word does... but I tend not to.
She looked at the entity that swayed back and forth. After a few hours everything was still. There was no one, only objects. It wasn’t the room it was before.
“Why?”
It used to be filled with the weight of the universe. It used to be filled with memories.
“Where does it all go now?”
The last thing she remembered was regret. The only thing she’ll move on with is regret.
“Will they remember?”
All of her inquisitions about how everything could have been bearable through time came true. With that, she withered away.
“Why did I tie that noose?”

Something I just wrote down a few mins ago. 100 words on the dot.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
This is a shorter re-telling of an older short piece that I've cut down into a hundred words. I'd write something new, but there's just something about this one that I really like. (copyrighted to me, myself and I, don't steal or **** with. I'll find you.)

"Everyone has burdens," he says, "In their minds. All of us. But everyone's burdens look different. Some people's are in sacks or in bags and some people have whole houses. We carry them on our backs, like horses carry people or turtles carry shells," he says.
"What does yours look like brother?" she asks, eyes full of awe.
"Mine is a bicycle," he says proudly.
"Why a bicycle?" She inquires, confusion creeping into her wide-eyed young face. "Because," he smiles, "That way, after I carry my burdens all day, I can put down my bicycle and ride into the sunset.”
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
'I look down at his dismembered body, I can't even stand to look away. "What have I done?" I say to myself. My girlfriend is in a ball in the corner, she's sobbing loudly. "How could --" She starts to say, but I cut her off, "It was kill or be killed." A thought pops into my head, if she says anything I'm going to be executed. "Just like it is now." "What... No you can't!" "I love you," I say as I begin to carve her face'
you're a stone fox
We were walking through the park, just the two of us, in a deafening silence. Both of us too angry to admit how wrong we were, oh how stubborn young love can be. You could have cut the tension with a knife; and, to my surprise, somebody did. A figure darted through the bushes to where we stood and cut us both down too quickly for me to respond. After that, I cant recall anything. She was gone from my life, and I never, to this day, got to tell her I was wrong.

Sorry for no indent, garbage keyboard... Constructive criticism? =)
I Had No Sig Once.

?
Quick entry; 81 words and subject to change.

“I’m a monster, got a messed up teenage head, TEENAGE MONSTER! California born and bred,” He sang to himself as he walked into the shop.

It happened quickly. He looked up as a large man looking the other way collided with him, sending them both tumbling to the floor. Before he knew what was happening the shopkeeper was by them restraing the man and pinning him to the ground.

“You stopped him!” he said “You’re a hero son, a teenage hero.”
Quote by Nemo306
We were walking through the park, just the two of us, in a deafening silence. Both of us too angry to admit how wrong we were, oh how stubborn young love can be. You could have cut the tension with a knife; and, to my surprise, somebody did. A figure darted through the bushes to where we stood and cut us both down too quickly for me to respond. After that, I cant recall anything. She was gone from my life, and I never, to this day, got to tell her I was wrong.

Sorry for no indent, garbage keyboard... Constructive criticism? =)

I really like the premise. It could become a little better.
I shall judge.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by captaincrunk
I kinda knew 70% would end up murder/rape stories with such a short limit. You'd have to write American Psycho or Fight Club to win with one of those though, judging from past results.

I'm in the 30% bitches! Crunky thinks I'm special.

"I feel a little flush... but so satisfied."
The Dancer

The bed was cold. I couldn’t feel the cold, but I knew so. The doctor entered and sat down in one swift motion like a dancer. He cupped my hands. I couldn’t feel him cupping my hands, but I saw him do so.

“I’m sorry,” he said. He was sorry, but he had said ‘sorry’ too many times for it to mean anything. “You are now paralyzed from the neck down.”

The news crashed over me like a breaking wave. I had lost what made me feel alive. I had lost my freedom. It was why I became a dancer.

Here you are, one hundred words exactly (excluding the title).
I have the basis of mine I think but it just doesn't satisfy me. I can't get the depth I want. There isn't enough beneath the words.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Mmmm. This is an idea that came to me a while ago, and I couldn't work it into any of my longer projects. Not sure how well it works as a drabble.

Knockety-knock.

She was alone in the house. The battles had somehow spared her street. Two weeks had passed since the state of emergency had been declared. She felt ill at the sight of a tin of Baked Beans. Which was lucky, because she was down to the last two.

There was another knock on the door. Familiar. Knockety-knock.

Clutching a kitchen knife, she opened the door.

He was wearing two leather coats and had a gun clutched in his left hand.

"Hey. Come to rescue you."

"Do you have any idea how ridiculous you look?"

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
I think I'd like to do this. I used to be really into writing, before being an engineer consumed my time. So I'll give it a shot. If you're going to make criticism (please), do it harshly and with no regard for my feelings. All the best writers were miserable, after all. I'm not giving my mind any extra time to ruin this idea, here it is:

“You are the chosen one.” Their words, spoken long ago, ring in my ears like the bullets that dare not touch my flesh. The crackle of flames, sizzling impotently in the rain. The roar of cannons, buried by cheering crowds behind me.

I am the chosen one. The final steps, so long in preparation. But time, that traitor, moves faster now. So I sprint. That for which I had been chosen, here at last--

A sting. Silence. Wet… not from the rain. Time falls into whimpering confusion; space collapses upon me in a blackening shroud. “But I am… the chosen…”
98 words, 100 including the title.

Quote by Dear Huginn
When we first met, you and I, you were confused.

You had lots of questions. Many 'who?s' and countless 'why!?s'. The odd 'when?', even, but mostly you asked 'how!?'

Looking back, I'm sorry I didn't have an answer.

I didn't disappoint you, did I? I tried not to.

I sewed clothes to keep you warm, arranged events to keep you busy and painted a starry-night for you to sleep beneath.

You'd never been happier, but it was watching you grow that gave me the greatest joy.

I just want you to know I'm proud.

Love from your author.

It's liable to being edited, so don't take this as my final submission.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Jun 9, 2011,
Here mine

"Dark room"

Just him. In a dark room. Listening to old jazz records. Mimicking every single note as if Coltrane played them himself. The music would pour out of him as if it was blood flowing from his fresh cut wrists. Filling his surroundings with its red stains.

Just her. Sitting in her dark room. Thinking it through. Scared. she has no power. thinking How much she missed him. She has decided to leave. And soon enough, blood would pour from her wrists as if it were music, and she were him. Filling her surroundings with musical genius.
A sigh.
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Page 1 of 5