So I go to UG seeking gear advice on how to get a better metal tone, and I get nothing but gear geeks telling me the key is swapping my ss amp and pedals for an EXPENSIVE tube amp. So, I've heard it before adn know the arguments well and have owned expensive tube amps long ago when credit cards were my thing, but had to pull out the classic "Dimebag used an SS Randall and sounded ungodly" and guess what?? I get the same gear dorks telling me Dimebag's tone sucked...

Sorry but gear is a means to an end and I can't see how anybody who claims to like metal can't just fall on their knees and worship Dimebag...and his tone, which is the same thing. If you like a musician, it's a given you like how his/her instrument sounds, period.

I put it to you people.
This will get closed soon.

For good tone, listen to Electric Wizard - Return Trip. Hear how the stupendous amounts of distortion actually work toward the atmosphere of the song? That's how it's supposed to be done.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
his tone in the eighties was nice, his 90s tone did suck tho you gotta admit, far to much gain, i mean listen to walk, its just a noise

EXPENSIVE tube amps my ass, mine cost £250 and sounds great
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Last edited by RetroGunslinger at Jun 7, 2011,
Just because you like his tone doesn't mean people unanimously 'fall on their knees and worship dimebag' and calling people gear geeks is just comical.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
i love dime's tone. solid states are the way to go if you're looking for that kind of tone or most any kind of raw metal tone IMO. as long as its a good SS. I've heard good things about the ibanez tbx150h and randall G2 series and g3 series
I like Dimebag's guitar playing... but I can say that he didn't have the best tone... I mean... that is sort of what he wanted anyways, just really loud extreme guitars and crazy effects.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
I hate Dimebag's tone
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Quote by robbo546hall
Just because you like his tone doesn't mean people unanimously 'fall on their knees and worship dimebag' and calling people gear geeks is just comical.

Well there are a lot of people who'd rather concentrate on the gear than the music. I was kinda doubting my sound, despite never having gotten a complaint about it. And figured since I have a little spare time I'd ask other metalheads what they think about the highly subjective subject of what is good sound?? Pantera has many a fan worldwide several years after the fact and have probably ascended to the realm of classic, so if you like em, obviously you like Dimebag's sound.
People have opinions, TS. Deal with it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
His tone was garbage. So was Randy Rhode's for that matter. But both are amazing players.

Jesus Christ man. Blasfemy is all I have to say. You don't like Randy's tone either??? What do you like? From your picture of Slash I'd say him. That's ain't metal, he's a poser. How dare you call yourself a metal fan.
Quote by gypsyblues
Jesus Christ man. Blasfemy is all I have to say. You don't like Randy's tone either??? What do you like? From your picture of Slash I'd say him. That's ain't metal, he's a poser. How dare you call yourself a metal fan.

GTFO troll
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
His rhythm tone sucked if you sit through CFH and scrutinize it. If you leave it be and listen to the album without devoting yourself to picking out every detail, you'll realize that it was actually pretty perfect for their style. It's a unique tone. His lead tone is killer, but the rhythm tone on CFH wasn't the greatest. Kinda like Randy Rhoads' rhythm tone back in the day.

Honestly though, I ****ing love his tone. It's 100% badass american haha.
Quote by gypsyblues
What are you like 13 years old? Haha

And you don't act like one?

Quote by gypsyblues
Blasfemy

ಠ_ಠ
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by RX120D
His rhythm tone sucked if you sit through CFH and scrutinize it. If you leave it be and listen to the album without devoting yourself to picking out every detail, you'll realize that it was actually pretty perfect for their style. It's a unique tone. His lead tone is killer, but the rhythm tone on CFH wasn't the greatest. Kinda like Randy Rhoads' rhythm tone back in the day.

Honestly though, I ****ing love his tone. It's 100% badass american haha.

Well I guess scrutiny just isn't something I do when I'm absorbing by favorite guitarists' music and I don't know if it's correct or proper, but Randy's sound was amazing, always. And it has influenced several generations of players since. Once upon a time distortion was undesireable, now it's the norm. But the norm today is people playing tube marshalls and boogies. Anybody with a different tone is catalogued as "bad." But usually the greats are received badly at first. Wait a generation or two and they become classics.
his tone was way too thin and sounded pretty fake, so I can't stand it. Jon Schaffer on Days of Purgatory had a killer tone IMO.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Lolol, his tone was terrible.
It was like listening to 1,000 people all scraping forks and knives on dinner plates.
That hurts just thinking about it, and is why I try to avoid Pantera at all costs.
forget amps and forget dimebag, just do yourself a favor and get one of these:
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Dime loved his Transistor amps... he hated the Valve warmth... which made it Buzzsaw like and nasty.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Metal_Head1
Hehehe
Also, who the hell are all these people?^^

These are the flies that shit threads like these attract en masse.
Dimebag was probably the best guitarist the Rolling stones ever had. His tones and playing laid the groundwork for great bands like the Beatles.
Quote by ampoverload
i love dime's tone. solid states are the way to go if you're looking for that kind of tone or most any kind of raw metal tone IMO. as long as its a good SS. I've heard good things about the ibanez tbx150h and randall G2 series and g3 series

You can get just as good or better out of pretty much any tube amp depending what you buy.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
His tone suited the band perfectly. Given that they are the most terrible metal band ever.

Awful tone, awful playing for an awful band.