Obviously a distortion pedal is essentially a gain pedal, a part of that being that the volume of the signal is boosted. What I don't understand is why the signal from one guitar is boosted more by the distortion than another guitar.

So if the level knob on my dist. pedal is set to 12 o'clock and results in the correct amount of signal boost for Guitar A, how come the same setting on the pedal boosts the signal from Guitar B almost twice as much?

Obviously the two guitars have different pickups, but both are humbuckers, and have a similar clean level, although Guitar B is slightly lower level which makes even less sense to me... Can someone please explain why two guitars react differently to the same level of distortion??

Thanks
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Quote by beckyjc
You said it yourself, different pickups.

Different output, different response to gain, different tonal qualities.

Nah.

I'm leaning towards magic as the explanation.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Ascendant
Magic? Uh, no, it's obviously the power of god.

But God doesn't exist, so it must be magic.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'm gonna go with magic as my answer

But seriously, so it is just that different pickups respond differently to gain? Can you explain why that is? Sorry I just like to understand how stuff works and this is beyond me :P
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Quote by makutoid
I'm gonna go with magic as my answer

But seriously, so it is just that different pickups respond differently to gain? Can you explain why that is? Sorry I just like to understand how stuff works and this is beyond me :P

Not the pickups respond differently to gain, but other way around.
Stronger pickups produce stronger ("louder") signal which overdrives amp/pedal more.
For test set the amp clean and switch between guitars.
You'll how much one is louder than another.