... and what do you do to know the fretboard? Memorizing scale shapes? Knowing all the notes on the entire fretboard?
I know it like the back of my hand. Learn all of the different positions of the minor and major scales. But don't just memorize them as shapes. Then just link them all together. Realize that what you're doing is really playing the 7 same notes over and over. Just in different positions. Knowing theory actually helps tremendously.
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
I know it very well, but if you point to a random fret on a random string and ask me the note, then I'll have to take a few seconds to think.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I know him. Yeah he's pretty cool, we go clubbing some times. He can drink a lot more than me, but after a few he knows I'll get cocky and take his bet.

Hope that helps.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Intimately.

For knowing it? Dinner, a movie, walks in the park.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Umm..... I know two scale shapes by heart?
And a few songs here and there. I'm comfortable with a guitar and know how to use it to make the music in my head which is exactly why I play, and to play some bad ass songs out there ;]

I'm gonna take some classes or something tho. I'll get there someday.
Quote by OliOsbourne
I know it very well, but if you point to a random fret on a random string and ask me the note, then I'll have to take a few seconds to think.

I actually used to do this with my students at the end of every lesson.
And I had them do the same with me.
I dont know it at all. I wish i did.

I know the pentatonic scale most of the way up the fretboard, i couldnt tell you which notes im playing.

I feel its whats preventing me from moving forwards with my playing. Anyone got any tips for learning?
I learned where the notes are on the fretboard (easier than you think).
Then I memorise the interval patterns for each scale and apply them.

PS. I go to pubs with my guitar all the time. She's not a hard drinker, but she can be thirsty for something other than a drink if you know what I mean.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jun 8, 2011,
Quote by OliOsbourne

This is the same thing that I do.
I only know the notes on the High E, Low E and first four frets of the EADGBE strings.

I really should learn everything huh?
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Quote by Lennon993
I only know the notes on the High E, Low E and first four frets of the EADGBE strings.

I really should learn everything huh?

Learn everything that is possible on the guitar. But, dont try to do it all in one day, month, or year. It takes many years to get everything down, so just take it slow, and have fun! Set goals for your self, after you meet one add something to your goal list. Keep tab on what you have learn, go back 6 months after you practice a bunch and see how much you have learned. You will be surprised how much you have tackled!

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci6aTve_fAU

10 minutes a day

You will know some more of the fretboard.

The next thing to learn is the cycle of 5ths, harmonizing the major scale and how to play chords that you have never seen before on the spot (consider Joe Pass' improvised chord solos). No one knows the fretboard perfectly -- it is just too much to process through every genre of music at any tempo in all keys. All we can do is peck away at it and get better so that when we want to play something that is unfamiliar we can go to the guitar and just play it.
Quote by OliOsbourne

+1

Being able to figure out a random note quickly is very useful It's the start of learning theory.

Which in all honesty is a very individual thing as to how much or how little formal theory you want to learn.

One of my friends knows a lot more formal theory than I do.

The odd thing is I'm a better player from a technique stand point. I learned a lot of actual playing technique using TAB cord charts etc. Everything from picking styles, whammy bar tapping etc, I learned by doing...

With little to no knowledge of the fancy names used in standard notation

Is knowing the notes on the fingerboard important depends on what you want to do and how much time and effort you want to invest into it.

I know pretty close to nothing about "modes" this doesn't stop me from being able to apply them as real world technique...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier