hi all, its really late and im in a bad mood so im not gunna have any great wordy way of putting this. basically i come up with loads of ideas (ie. 2 verses or a chorus) for a song and then never finish them. i just can't. i can never get the arrangement sorted, specifically the second or maybe third part to a song which turns it from a catchy part or two into a proper piece. a friend of mine has this come completely naturally to her and i was half inspired and half depressed by jamming with her because of how easy she made it look. i asked her and she didnt really seem to have any method or anything, it just came to her. so i was wondering if you guys knew any non standard chords which could be used in a song without turning it into some jazz fusion thing or whatever. cause she seems to use a whole bunch of weird chords which don't come up on chord finder websites or anything.

i don't know. i probably haven't made any sense even. but what kinda chords do you guys like to throw into your songs as a main chord, not just as a passing one. ie. no Cmaj -> Cmaj7 type progression things, what ones actually work in their own right?
I don't know if this is really technically 'right' in the standard musical sense, but the way I go about it is just building my own chords I guess you could say. [somewhat stepping over that whole music theory thing since I'm far too lazy to sit down and really figure that out, though I do have a basic knowledge].

But anyways, what I'll do is just after coming up with the first couple parts, then I'll either sing a vocal melody and find root notes that support that melody, or I'll pick some random root notes and tailor a melody to fit. From there its a matter of trial and error of listening to the root and adding certain notes to get the sound that I can hear. I don't know if its the most practical but it seems to work for me.
Good luck sir!
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
How many complete songs have you learnt?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by kthxbi
that'll be 0

Well then it's no surprise that you have problems writing them. That other girl, can she play lots of other artists songs and remember them off the top of her head? Well she can write them too because she's used to playing them. Easy.

Learn some songs.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well then it's no surprise that you have problems writing them. That other girl, can she play lots of other artists songs and remember them off the top of her head? Well she can write them too because she's used to playing them. Easy.

Learn some songs.

that's a good idea. i'd never really thought of it like that at all. i'll do that.

thanks man.
Quote by kthxbi
that's a good idea. i'd never really thought of it like that at all. i'll do that.

thanks man.

That's cool. Start with easy songs before getting hooked up on Dreamtheater and the like. If you have a good grasp on your chords you should be able to learn a couple by the end of the week.
Soundcloud