Hey, I just won a Peavey 5150 212 combo on ebay. $525 and $40 shipping? from new hampshire to nebraska on a 90 lb amp? someones generous, but im not arguing.

Anyway, the seller said that the preamp tubes had under 5 hours on them and had fresh Sovtek 6L6 power tubes.

The question i'm asking is will it be ready to go once i get it and get it set up? I've never had a pure tube amplifier before. in other peoples experience, how do you usually ship amps to keep the tubes from getting all busted to hell? should i take it to the shop and have them check out out before i even think about turning it on, on can i just fire it up once i get it and see how it works?

I'll be playing an ibanez EX160 with a dimarzio x2n and a hondo H1 with the bill lawrence ( bill & becky) l500xl. both pretty high output pickups. i guess ill find out how much of a gain ***** i really am...

I just won it and it'll prolly be at least a week til it gets here! its gonna be a long week.

any other advice or information that would be good to know with the 5150? or just anything concerning a new used amp shipped halfway across the country...
if satan lived in heaven, he'd be me
The Bill & Becky 500 pup is not the BLUSA L500XL, you know right.

Anyways. Just go ahead and turn it on. Of course check FIRST that the speaker cab is firmly attached and inserted.

Unless you have any reasons to believe there might be significant wear and tear, there's no reason to bring it to the tech. Just remember to flip the power to "On" for about 30 seconds before flipping the Standyby to "On". You need to give the power tubes some time to warm up or you'll wear the power tubes down real fast.

Most tube amps ship with the power and preamp tubes inserted. No real reason to unplug the tubes unless you believe there may be more than the occasional bump. That said, does shipping include insurance?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm guessing that everything will be good to go right out of the box. As the person above me mentioned, make sure you flip the switch that says POWER at least 30 seconds before taking it out of standby. And yeah.. ragingkitty's post pretty much covers it all.
It should be good to go right out of the box.

A couple things though. If you don't own a noise suppressor of some sort, go out and get one. You need it with these amps. I use a Boss NS-2, because it's the best value NS out there. The best you can do is probably 2 ISP Decimators, and next best would be an ISP Decimator G String - these pedals will cost you though. If you can't afford them, go with an NS-2.

Secondly, be prepared. This amp is hands down the heaviest piece of gear I've ever encountered.

Not as important, but an EQ and an OD go together with this amp like butter and jelly goes with toast. I use a Boss GE7 and an Ibanez TS7. The most popular combination is probably an MXR M-108 and an Ibanez TS9. There's lots of options out there, and while you're waiting, you can start looking into them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
just make sure the speaker load is connected before turning it on otherwise you run risk of damaging your OT. nevver run it without a load (speakers).

i would make sure all of the tubes are seated prior to turning it on. just give them a gentle wiggle to seat them, a few times i have had a tube amp shipped where one tube is a little loose when it comes.

also whenever i buy a tube amp that gets shipped by the previous owner, i request that they pull the power tubes and bubble wrap them, and index them (V1, V2, etc) and just throw them in myself with a little bit of deoxit, takes all of three minutes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ragingkitty
Most tube amps ship with the power and preamp tubes inserted. No real reason to unplug the tubes unless you believe there may be more than the occasional bump. That said, does shipping include insurance?

Sure, most companies who ship their amps also use packing materials that exactly fit around their amps in the box, not bubble wrap, newspaper, packing peanuts (which are completely useless), sponges (yes, I've had a guy use sponges as padding - They were actually quite effective! ), or whatever other random junk people have lying around that they like to throw in when they pack stuff.

People on eBay can't pack for shit and tubes should ALWAYS be removed from the amp, individually packed, then placed back inside the amp with padding around them. Unless the amp was new, every single amp I've had shipped to me that the seller didn't take the tubes out and pack individually, arrived with shattered glass inside.

P.S. Tell the guy not to use UPS and use FedEx instead. UPS could care less about your gear and will destroy it if it's not properly packed; and then not give you any refund on your insurance. Not to mention, they will charge a premium price and take longer to get it to your house than FedEx will.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 8, 2011,
Ive bought quite a few used amps of ebay that shipped with the tubes in them no problems.
Its only a problem with ups or fed ex lol.
usps is cheaper and better though seriously imo of course!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
yeah shipping is insured, USPS expedited.

i have a mxr fullbore metal pedal, but thats definitely a distortion rather than an overdrive, and the tone quality is prolly similar to the 5150 (balls out distortion) so thats prolly not the best option.

so an actual overdrive, versus a distortion, would be better? i was under the impression that this amp already had plenty of gain, and i already have pretty high output pickups. wouldnt i just be able to switch channels to lessen the distortion?

basically why would i need an overdrive/distortion if theres already plenty of gain and i have the footswitch?
A lot of people like to throw in a Tubescreamer (Maxon or Ibanez. TS9, 808, 7 whatever) in front of the 5150 to tighten up the gain channel.

What is done is to dial the gain to 0, but max out the volume. That will give the full signal strength, without adding more gain to the OD channel. As the TS design as a bass frequency bump... it will ground some of the lower ends so your sound is "tighter".

Alternatively if you want to go the booteek route... get a NOC3 Pure Drive, it is basically an upgraded TS with a knob which allows you to vary / determine the amount of bass frequency to ground.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by electric wizard

basically why would i need an overdrive/distortion if theres already plenty of gain and i have the footswitch?

just to tighten up the sound on your high gain channel. you'll want an overdrive as opposed to a distortion pedal with the 5150. if you're looking for a budget pedal, check out the ibanez ts7 or digitech bad monkey (especially if you can solder, both of these are great pedals to mod). A bit higher budget: an ibanez TS9 would be a great choice too.
I really wouldn't bother getting a boost unless you have the money to buy a nice noise gate, because you're going to introduce a tone of noise to that amp if you use one. It CAN improve the tone, but personally, I find that I like the tone of my bias modded 5150 without it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
so basically something to boost the volume of the signal without distorting it so it drives the amp harder? so would like an eq with a variable gain boost work to kill two birds with one stone in that i could boost it, and q it to get it sounding tighter? would like a clean boost pedal achieve this?

and to lessen noise, is the ISP decimator pretty much the top contender? does anyone who has one know if it acts like a noisegate and cuts it under a certain point, or like filters out the hiss somehow? and for a solitary unit, is the regular decimator or the Gstring decimator better? are they capable of like a near instant clamp down so you could pull off that whole start/stop dimebag thing?

i feel like a valley girl lol

edit: ive been reading a lot of good things about the digitech hardwire cm2 overdrive, that they can pull off a lot of the same tubescreamer business and more, at a pretty decent price. does anyone have any experience with one of these?
Last edited by electric wizard at Jun 10, 2011,
ISP is best out atm, its an actual gate, none of that BS SC hum stoppers.

if you are looking for a good OD pedal, one of my favorite TS type is the BBE green screamer, it works great for boosting and last time i checked you can buy one off of ebay from a liscensed dealer for ~$50. that would do better than the digitech IMO. if i am using an OD to boost an amp i usually have the vol at 75% and the gain at 25% and tone to taste.

the OD is really to tighten up the bass and hit the front end of the amp harder, gets you a little extra punch to your tone.

also i am sure you have heard this, but 5150's have way more gain than you will ever need, IMO there is no need to go past noon on the gain.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/