I know it's not safe vise-versa, but yeah.

Not that I have to, but just wondering. I've got a Fender Rumble 15. I use it when I bring it over to my dad's house and I play a guitar through it. I only use it cuz it's very light and portable (I'm sounding like a commercial.)

Simple question, yes-no answer

Thanks
Guitar through a bass amp: fine.
Bass through a guitar amp: Huge problems.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by kaosxrocker
Guitar through a bass amp: fine.
Bass through a guitar amp: Huge problems.

LMAO Trust me I know that second one

I have a blown Peavey Vypyr 15 because of that...

RIP Vypyr... you'll never be the same
Quick question just came across my mind...

Would playing an 8 string guitar through a guitar amp cause a problem, due to the guitars pitch going to nearly a bass's low e string (Or in the case that they drop tuned it, it would be exact same pitch)?

And what about the same deal but just a 7 string?
Quote by Shayden2008

Would playing an 8 string guitar through a guitar amp cause a problem, due to the guitars pitch going to nearly a bass's low e string (Or in the case that they drop tuned it, it would be exact same pitch)?

:O

that IS a problem..

is there like some pedal that can send your lows to one amp and your high/mids to another?

that'd be kinda cool...
Quote by DisasterMatt
:O

that IS a problem..

is there like some pedal that can send your lows to one amp and your high/mids to another?

that'd be kinda cool...

invention time. lol. jk
Nah, low tunings won't hurt an amp. Like, low bass strings go down to 80 Hz or so so you get all the rumble and low end. A guitar's low B (or F#) will focus more on the upper harmonics of those lower notes, so the sound won't be as muddy. They design pickups like that so even though the note is low, it's crisp and cuts through. So admittedly, it will be worse on the amp than a standard 6 string, but nothing of concern

EDIT: And that "invention" you guys are looking for is called a crossover...
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by ampoverload
invention time. lol. jk

NOT JK!

We must save the amps!

MARTY! WE'VE GONE FORWARD IN TIME!
Quote by Shayden2008

People play 8s with a guitar amps all the time. Its no problem.
Quote by nedthehead
Nah, low tunings won't hurt an amp. Like, low bass strings go down to 80 Hz or so so you get all the rumble and low end. A guitar's low B (or F#) will focus more on the upper harmonics of those lower notes, so the sound won't be as muddy. They design pickups like that so even though the note is low, it's crisp and cuts through. So admittedly, it will be worse on the amp than a standard 6 string, but nothing of concern

EDIT: And that "invention" you guys are looking for is called a crossover...

A low E on a guitar has a fundamental at 82hertz, usually guitar amps make 164hertz (the second harmonic) louder than 82 hertz but still there is an 82 hertz fundamental.

A low E on a bass guitar is 41 hertz (half of 82, so one octave lower) and bass amps generally will put out the 82hertz second harmonic louder but there is still the low 41hertz fundamental there too. If you tune a guitar down into the bass register you would still have the same fundamental for whatever note it was and thus should be able to damage the amp. Although, thinner strings and maybe different pickups may cause much less of the fundamental bass to be heard and thus would be less damaging to the speakers.
I and the entire doom and stoner rock community has been doing it for years. It's not just allowed, it's encouraged.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by DisasterMatt
NOT JK!

We must save the amps!

MARTY! WE'VE GONE FORWARD IN TIME!

When this thread hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious shit!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Playing a guitar through a bass amp is ok and will sound amazing if the amp is good.

Playing a bass through a guitar amp is not recommended, but will be fine if you play at low volumes. I did it a couple of times without problems.