why (insert nationality) food is never like the food in the original country?

once I have an italian friend, and he say's me that the food selled on italian restaurants are anything like the food in his country, also chinese food contains a lot of fat, once I read this was nothing like REAL chinese food, that chinese people use to have a healthy diet, with a lot of vegetables, also they boiled a lot of their food, a lotof the one selled In chinese resataurants is fried.

and finally

according with taco bell, this is a taco.

this, ladies and gentlemen is not a taco, these are tacos

and similar things happen wothe the rest of mexican food, not only the taco.

so, what do you think? why this thing happens?
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Last edited by andras67 at Jun 8, 2011,
Real Chinese food is like sheep heads and eyeballs and octopus testicles and shit. Who wouldn't change it?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
That's just kind of how it works.

If you cook food in another country, it's obviously going to be influenced by that country. but you can still find real *insert nationality* food anywhere. I know plenty of people who home cook real Mexican food.

And places like Taco Bell are large coorporations meant to appeal to the average American, so they are nothing like "real" tacos.
Lawl, google translate.

It's because fat makes food taste good, and Americans really like fatty foods.
Now im hungry

Real Tacos FTW

OT: Chinese take out food. Actual Chinese food can be ****ed up in the extreme.

EDIT: Didn't read the OP, and you already said that. Awkward for me. Also your writing kind of reminds me of email bank offers that I get from obscure banks in Hong Kong. Did you use google translate?
Last edited by Lost Dog at Jun 8, 2011,
Often because immigrants have to recreate their homeland cuisine using whatever's available locally. But lots of different ways. For example my economics professor used to say he misses the Chinese food in India, which developed during WWII when American soldiers stationed in the area asked Chinese chefs to recreate the "Chinese food" they were used to back home. Bastardization of a bastardization.
Quote by Lost Dog
Now im hungry

Real Tacos FTW

OT: Chinese take out food. Actual Chinese food can be ****ed up in the extreme.

EDIT: Didn't read the OP, and you already said that. Awkward for me. Also your writing kind of reminds me of email bank offers that I get from obscure banks in Hong Kong. Did you use google translate?

no, it's only that my english sucks

yeah real tacos are amazing, I think will have some for lunch tomorrow
Quote by Våd Hamster

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Quote by andras67
no, it's only that my english sucks

yeah real tacos are amazing, I think will have some for lunch tomorrow

Aw I feel bad now. I wish I knew 2 languages. If it makes you feel any better I attempted to speak Spanish while going on vacation in Mexico and the locals laughed at me

And I will also hopefully have real tacos tomorrow, im dying to have some as soon as possible. My grandparents lived in Mexico for most of their lives so they can make some excellent Mexican dishes!
It's because of the American market, really. We indulge in food so we want our food to seem exotic. So foreign food is changed to be commercially viable. Sellouts.

Seriously, have you ever had genuine Chinese food? Way different from any chain you'll ever eat at.

And Taco Bell is tex-mex, so it can't be held accountable to begin with.
Quote by Lost Dog
Aw I feel bad now. I wish I knew 2 languages. If it makes you feel any better I attempted to speak Spanish while going on vacation in Mexico and the locals laughed at me

And I will also hopefully have real tacos tomorrow, im dying to have some as soon as possible. My grandparents lived in Mexico for most of their lives so they can make some excellent Mexican dishes!

you don't have to feel bad, I know I don't speak or write english very well, also it is my fault, I have been to lazy to take the free english classes that my school offers
Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by jetfuel495
It's because of the American market, really. We indulge in food so we want our food to seem exotic. So foreign food is changed to be commercially viable. Sellouts.

Seriously, have you ever had genuine Chinese food? Way different from any chain you'll ever eat at.

And Taco Bell is tex-mex, so it can't be held accountable to begin with.

nope, I have never had real chinese food, what is it like?
Quote by Våd Hamster

Bullshit. It's not about the country. Fast food/cheap chains like Taco Bell and Olive Garden are not going to be too true to the region whose food they're "emulating." It's all about appealing to the widest possible customer base with cheap food. Why would they be authentic?

But it's quite easy to find many authentic restaurants all over America. Some of the smaller, less widely appealing cuisines may be more difficult, such as the more unusual Chinese monkey brains, etc.

Another thing is that Chinese cuisine was originally developed out of necessity, in that they had very little meat, and needed a way to increase flavor, portions, and nutrition without the abundance that America has. So many restaurants stay true to classic flavors and the roots of the cuisine, while taking part in the abundance of American society.
"Japanese" food in anywhere but Japan, that is all. . .
Quote by whitenihilist
Asada is schooling Playmadness.

Quote by Victory2134
Asada confirmed for coolest guy in here.
Quote by jetfuel495
Not as saucy, nothing is deep fried, and I don't think it's as spicy either. It's actually quite tame in comparison, but still very good in my opinion.

Not strictly true. A lot of stuff is fried. Spice depends on the region it comes from, some curries are pretty spicy. They cook with a lot of oil which is why it's considered unhealthy. But it is true they also boil a lot of stuff and do eat a lot of vegetables. So basically, it's amazing.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by element4433
Real Chinese food is like sheep heads and eyeballs and octopus testicles and shit. Who wouldn't change it?

"real chinese food". What is that? The country has about 100 different variations of real chinese food. Some of it is delicious and some of it is just weird. But that could be said for any country.

And the chinese food we eat in the west world (deep fried shit) tastes like shit.
But I guess it's funnier to focus on the few dishes that are weird and call chinese food as a whole gross and weird.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jun 8, 2011,
im chinese myself, and chinese food probably has more variety than any other sort of cuisine. Not saying its better, im not a huge fan of traditional chinese foods myself, but i could probably live off beef noodle soup, pho, and teriyaki rice

to answer your question though, foreign foods are almost always changed to cater
to the tastes of the country it's marketing to. My city has actually been completely taken over by asians though, so uuh, anybody who wants to taste some legit asian food in north america without having to go all the way to asia, come to vancouver
Maybe because it's made to be sellable to a different market. Real Chinese food might be less tasty than takeout food, but I've never has real Chinese food so I wouldn't know.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by piratemetalhead
im chinese myself, and chinese food probably has more variety than any other sort of cuisine. Not saying its better, im not a huge fan of traditional chinese foods myself, but i could probably live off beef noodle soup, pho, and teriyaki rice

to answer your question though, foreign foods are almost always changed to cater
to the tastes of the country it's marketing to. My city has actually been completely taken over by asians though, so uuh, anybody who wants to taste some legit asian food in north america without having to go all the way to asia, come to vancouver

Pho isn't Chinese....

And there are many varieties of beef noodle soup, such as the Eastern European/Jewish ones. Though I do prefer an asian twist in my beef noodle soup
meant to say asian, my bad

beef noodle soup in asia also has its roots in taiwan, like bubble tea. Some other reasons why taiwan is so much better than china !
Real Mexican food = . We had a really good restaurant in my area that was completely family owned and had authentic cuisine, but they closed. *sadface*

Anywho, some foods in other countries might be different because they need to appeal to a different culture who might not be familiar to home ingredients. For example, there are a lot of recipes that are based on Mexican food, even though it isn't the real deal. Still tastes pretty good though.

Besides Mexican and Chinese food, I can't really think of any other food I've eaten that's been reinvented. I live in a largely German town, and all the food tastes pretty spot on.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
One of sweden's most popular dishes amongst young people is a pizza that barely exists anywhere else.

It's a kebabpizza, basically a pizza with kebab on it. Absolutely delicious. That pizza does not exist in Italy at all. Might only exist in Scandinavia.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
One of sweden's most popular dishes amongst young people is a pizza that barely exists anywhere else.

It's a kebabpizza, basically a pizza with kebab on it. Absolutely delicious. That pizza does not exist in Italy at all. Might only exist in Scandinavia.

Seen it before. America has EVERYTHING. New York City is among the most, if not the most, diverse cities in the world.

Food places near me will put anything on a pizza or in a sandwich. Chicken caesar pizza (amazing, by the way, just add hot sauce), buffalo chicken pizza (I don't like blue cheese dressing so meh), to gyro pizza and sandwiches with pork roll, eggs, bacon, fries, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, and mayo.
Quote by djentman
So I was walking around China(like I always do), and I stopped by and got something to eat at this so called "American" restaurant.
I got this crap

That's not a burger mate.

???
Purple string dampener scrunchy.