Hey guys I recently got a Keeley 4-knob compressor; I used it on my own and I thought it made my current set up sound much more articulate (my understanding that a compressor should make the quiet sounds more pronounced and round off the loud sounds), but today I used it for the first time with my band and I was so bummed out to hear how thin and flat my guitar and amp were compared to the rest of the band, regardless of how much I tweaked the compressor (or used other effects with the compressor). I am currently using a Vox AC15 C1, which I've read adds it's own level of compression, with an American Strat with active EMGs. My question is that if the amp is already compressed, might the compressor pedal be "over-compressing" the signal, and would this be responsible for the thinness of my sound? I also think the battery to my pickups might need to be replaced...
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Try replacing the battery first. I must say, that's an interesting rig you have there. I don't know that the amp would add any significant compression unless it were high-gain.
heheh thanks.. yeah I'm going to replace the battery as soon as I get home from work tomorrow... unfortunately I don't have an extra 9 volt anywhere in the house and it's already late... I hope that's the issue... I was really excited when I got the Keeley, but now I don't know =/
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
well let me know about that, I'm in the market for a good compressor pedal.
will do... I used to have the Visual Sound Route 66 compressor/overdrive; it was an okay pedal: the overdrive was pretty much an extra loud tubescreamer (which i liked), and the compressor was decent but somewhat noisy and it picked up interference from my Whammy pedal (it had something to do with the specialized AC adapter of the whammy) , so I eventually got rid of it. I'll let you know how the Keeley handles once I can use it properly =)