Page 1 of 2
right now i have tons of picks in my room and the edges are all flat thus making it hard to play. should i throw them away?
I would. I hate to do it because it seems like a waste, but it just bugs me too much when my playing is hindered because my pick isn't sharp enough to my taste. I'm very anal about my picks. haha
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
just let them frolic about in random locations, one day they'll all disappear on their own.
Give them to your girlfriend so she can make jewelry.
Smile when you say that.
Keep using them, ya pussy.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Quote by milliorn
File them a new edge if you wish to keep using them.

+1 I do that too.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Throw them when they snap or get chips in the sides that get caught while playing. Or whenever the f you feel like it, picks are cheap
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
the pick troll will surely come along sooner than later and nab them.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I'm saving enough to melt down and make myself a guitar-woman with Tortex breasts and a Gator Grip arse.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
when you've chewed them enough
my jazz iii pics are my chewing gum substitutes
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
I have a teapot that I keep guitar/music junk in - picks of various ages/brands/thickness, slide, adapters, allen keys, receipts and god knows what else.

When a pick needs to be retired it goes to the teapot just in case one day I have nothing else to pick with. Funnily enough I have picks in there from when I was 15 - from the Stubby experiments, a metal pick, thick ultex-es etc - but I manage to lose the ones I use every day. Effin Jeffin pick goblins.
I don't know about you, but every pick I've ever owned has disappeared long before I had the chance to wear it out.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by milliorn
File them a new edge if you wish to keep using them.

that sounds like a good idea file them with what?
Be lucky you've managed to keep them until they went dull... I lose mine after about a week of playing.
I'd personally throw them away or file them down with a fine file/sandpaper.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PUNKSTER93

This is going to blow your mind but...................................wait for it.......................................wait for it..................a..........................file or sandpaper as raging kitty says.
WHOA
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jun 8, 2011,
Use sandpaper... a file may be too rough for you to control your shaping of the pick.

In any case, you'll need some fine grade sandpaper to smooth out the pick after the shaping.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Use sandpaper... a file may be too rough for you to control your shaping of the pick.

In any case, you'll need some fine grade sandpaper to smooth out the pick after the shaping.

Damn u had to ruin my post edited
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by PUNKSTER93

Emery Board.
Hmmm, mine never get dull. The pick knargle nabs them long before...to make a nest out of...or whatever.

But I assume that if mine ever did get dull, I'd just throw them away or in an "everything under the sun" drawer/basket like grandparents have.
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
Quote by PUNKSTER93

Fingernail filer, since I use .50mm-ish pics which are easy to file down. Now if they are bigger then IDK because I don't use anything bigger. You can use a razor like for a box cutter I suppose. Dimebag and later on his tech would cut grooves into his pic and file them down but he used really heavy pics from what I read. You could use sandpaper which be the preferred method, but I never have any around, and forget to by some for the time arises. I rarely file them a new edge anyhow, I just get the nicks out from string scratching. Most my pics break fast because of the thinness I use.
Last edited by milliorn at Jun 10, 2011,
just play with them. i have picks that are almost round and it doesn't bother me.

or +1 to give to your GF to make jewlery. my fiancee does that and enjoys it. she likes the ones with the most wear anyways.

and if you want to get rid of them, just leave them around all over the place, they will disappear soon enough. thats what happens to mine, and i don't even want them disapperaing.

and i have tried sanding a few. take a belt sander, lock it int he on position lay it on its back and sclupt away.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I use the blue 1mm dunlop picks, and as a rule of thumb I throw them away once the turtle design is worn off and the surface starts to become smooth where the pick is held.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
I wedge my pick between my butt cheeks when not in use so I know where it is. I wouldn't recommend doing this with a glass slide though cuz if you forget and sit down well.....

I just buy a few new one there's something fun about buying a new pick for some reason.... small things please small minds I guess.
^ Oh shit, here come the gerbils. Is your name Richard Gere?

OT: Picks are cheap, really cheap. It's a no-brainer, toss 'em.

No reason to get sentimental about something that's as disposable as a Dixie cup. You have served your purpose little pick, you have exhausted your usefulness, now go away.

You guys actually file those little shits down?
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Im completely amazed that more people dont reshape their picks once theyre worn
I got a pack of small files at harbor freight for $3 and I use them to file the edges and keep them rounded or change the pick shape if I dont like it

Ive been using this medium fender pick for like 4 months
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
When playing live, a pick will usually last me a couple of songs before I throw it (I play primarily surf and rock n roll music). I just buy a big bag of them and stick 'em all down my mic stand at the start of the gig, refill stand during interval if needed.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by warlockking
I use the blue 1mm dunlop picks, and as a rule of thumb I throw them away once the turtle design is worn off and the surface starts to become smooth where the pick is held.

I use the yellow ones and if i threw them out everytime there was no turtle, they would only last me about a day.
i just keep em around for jam sessions and give them to friends when i don't want them anymore. i use the dunlop 1.00 mm to but i would have to pitch so many after the turtle comes off. i used to use a shitload when i had .12's. They shred picks like hell.
you dont toss v-picks haha. 4 bucks each but easily the best picks ive used. and it has like 3 sides to use to yeaa
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Start using nylon picks. I can't get them to wear down to nubs and I play extremely hard.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
some picks just dont last long too which sucks. like right now im using the dunlop nylon .73s and they last me at ideal sharpness for a week each, plus i lose them really easy

EDIT: am I the only person who thinks nylon picks arent very lasting?
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Jun 12, 2011,
Page 1 of 2