I've been using a DD-7 for almost two years and only just a few days ago realized how much I love analogue delay when the feedback is cranked to that it provides a constant drone in the background without crowding out the dry signal.
But the tone of the DD-7 isn't that great and I've been planning on replacing it for anything better.

Just a few months ago I was obsessing over real tape machines (almost bought an echoplex), but found out Fulltone is planning on making a (cheaper) new and improved version of the EP-3, so I kinda swore off the whole thing to wait.

So here's where all my wondering comes together:
- Would a tape delay be able to provide that same disintegrated horizon line that analogue pedals do? Or does the feedback function lean closer to digital delays, where repeat signals don't lose their shape and so would crowd out the signal.
If the answer would persuade me to look into other pedals...
- Is anyone familiar with the tc electronic flashback delay, and is the analogue function any good on it? I'm kind of pitting that against the MXR Carbon Copy, which seems to be the most revered analogue delay atm. But the flashback has the advantage of versatility, and up to 6sec of delay (one feature I'm looking to upgrade over the DD-7's 3 seconds). The flashback has the whole toneprint bonus, and it uses stereo; even though the CC is mono, if the tone is really that much better than the TC electronic one, I would be interested.

So to boil it down, can anyone point me to an analogue delay they could recommend with possibly an upwards of 5-6sec delay time on some feature? Tap tempo or an external footswitch would also be nice.
5 - 6 seconds? You're looking at a digital delay there aren't you?

Also since no budget.

Fulltone Tube Tape Echo
http://www.fulltone.com/tte.asp

Eventide Timefactor
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TimeFactor
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Ah, sorry. Budget wise, I'm only looking to shell out > $400 for a real tape echo unit, and since I'm defaulting myself to the future Fulltone EP3 (probably will never come out,
http://www.fulltone.com/cshframe.html
been like 5 years since he first talked about it ).
I know that long delay times would only come with a digital delay, but if the tone of a certain analogue pedal is really to die for, than I would be fine with a short delay. The only thing that really gets me if phony tape echo simulators that apply a chorus modulation to the repeats in an attempt to simulate wow & flutter. Real tape delays are (preferably) more subtle.
I kinda stole my friends pitchfactor and was really disappointed with it, which turned me off from spending big on the timefactor.
I like the MXR Carbon Copy analog Dealy
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I actually just found this thread comparing the flashback with the MXR
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88675

a lot of people have phrased the concept I mainly want out of the pedal as an "padded ambient cloud-effect" that just lingers in the background.
They all say on the MXR it always gets out of control, "you need to watch the volume or else your speakers / eardrums go. "

I feel like if the feedback was just slightly off maximum this would be solved, right?
Do you have any experience with it stonyman?
There are not many delays that can go up to 6 seconds. For your budget do you really mean more than $400? Or did you mean < $400?

If you want a tape delay, the Roland RE-501 is the best one I've played. Binsons sound great too.
Imo the carbon copy is a horrible analogue delay. There are cheap analogue simulator delays which sound better. For me by far the best analogue delay i have heard in person is the maxon AD999Pro. It sounded better then the DMM to me.

If you are set on tape look into the empress superdelay. I think pro guitar shop have a custom version which is tweaked a little to sound more convincingly like a tape delay.
hmmmm difficult one, if you wanna spend a lil more cash(which i know you dont, but you never know if you'll enjoy these more)

try an empress vintage modified superdelay, it is the most insane delay pedal ive played... the normal empress superdelay is gr8 but the tape echo sucked so proguitarshop got together with empress to create the vintage modified... check the video, its a digital delay but replicates analog, and tape amazingly.... but far the classiest pedal ive ever played, you can do stacks on that... price is $449 here, try ebay, you could get a decent price for a mint one
http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-delay-pedals-c-602_9/empress-vintage-modified-superdelay-p-1335

For a top of the range PERFECT analog delay try a Diamond Memory Lane 2....
$600 but the nicest classiest full analog tap tempo delay you'll find it also seems pretty versatile.... again check ebay... when fulltone comes out with that tape echo, just resell it on ebay
http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-delay-pedals-c-602_9/diamond-pedals-memory-lane-2-analog-delay-pedal-p-790
Its tone is said to be amazing

EDIT:
Also, if both those are a problem Diamond has made the Jr version of the Diamond memory lane 2... its called the Diamond Memory Lane Jr. (no kidding). It offers longer delay time than the memory lane 2... Im not sure if it is full analog but it is made to sound like one, just smaller... its price is $279.... i havnt played on one yet but i have a friend who is planning to by one and pretty much anything Diamond does is CLASSY here is the link
http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-delay-pedals-c-602_9/diamond-memory-lane-jr-p-2936

Hope you find what you want
Last edited by Serial 177 at Jun 8, 2011,
Thanks for all of the responses.
*I follow ProGuitarShop religiously*

Kind of my whole stance is, if I'm going to take a leap on any pedal, I want it to be the extreme of it's category (like if I wanted digital, I would get the DD-20; if I wanted analog, I would rather have the CC over an imitation). That said, my issue with the empress super delay (I've been eyeing it down for a loooooooong time) is that it would be a whole lotta bucks for a jack of all trades. I've heard a lot of people say even the vintage modified does a lackluster job at tape simulation (and if I wanted a tape delay, I should just sit it out for the fulltone SSTE - I'm masochistic that way).
But back to the " I would rather have the CC over an imitation" comment I just made. I also just found out that the flashback does up to 6 seconds in each mode (including analog, but not slapback) which is a huge bonus. And you have all the people raving about it's tone - but I'm entirely skeptical of guitar center and musiciansfriends reviews.

BUT, one sick trick I just came up with to hold this all over me is that the summer NAMM is one month away, and maybe I could suppress my GAS that much longer (which is all I'm really looking for, excuses to not spend money).

From the demos I've heard, both the malekko 616 and the diamond delays have too, I don't wanna say crappy, but the modulation doesn't sound "right" for me.

One thing I'm really interested in is the live qualities of each delay type, like in person a analog delay should almost have a corporeal quality over a digital simulator, and a tape delay more so - hence my skepticism of compromise too.

EDIT: Is the moog any good?
Last edited by Lrn2play at Jun 8, 2011,
wait over 400 bucks and analog for 6 seconds with a tap tempo and pedal options? do you realize your asking for something that pretty much doesnt exist?

other than dropping 1000 or so on a real tape echo (imo dumb. big, expensive, have to be maintained and cleaned. its a mofo) then i would search for the finest analog boutique pedal you can buy. i would start looking at analogman, diamond, t-rex (digital, but amazingly analog sounding), lovepedals (gen5 and echobaby), moog (perhaps not analog but amazing top notch pedals by anybodys standards), maxon, fuchs plush series,

other options are delay processors and modulators like eventide, carl martin, hughes and kettner tube driven delay simulator, and TC electronic.

everything i listed goes from about 180 to 700. if you can get a good delay sound out of something i lised, well, you have no idea what your doing. some of the best guitarists in th world dont even use the stuff i just listed.
Sorry yeah the whole > $400 was a mistype. I was thinking "nothing > 400" but didn't type it.
Wait no, what I said was I would only shell out over 400 for a real tape unit, not analog or digital.
Quote by Lrn2play

From the demos I've heard, both the malekko 616 and the diamond delays have too, I don't wanna say crappy, but the modulation doesn't sound "right" for me.

The 616 modulaation is defiently a weird (and not very useful) one, unless you wanna feel seasick pretty quickly.
Quote by joe_k
Imo the carbon copy is a horrible analogue delay. There are cheap analogue simulator delays which sound better. For me by far the best analogue delay i have heard in person is the maxon AD999Pro. It sounded better then the DMM to me.

If you are set on tape look into the empress superdelay. I think pro guitar shop have a custom version which is tweaked a little to sound more convincingly like a tape delay.

lol you got that right. i have the wamplers analog echo. great delay that wont' break the bank
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
For <$400 you can get some nice delays

Strymon El Capistan - great tape modeller
Strymon Brigadier - great digital delay
Empress VMSD - good tape modeller and some other stuff
Diamond Memory Lane 2 - good analog delay that gets a lot of love although I didn't think it was that awesome
Diamond Memory Lane Jr. - digital delay that mimics an analog delay pretty convincingly.
Wampler Faux Tape Echo - good tape modeller
Skreddy Echo - good tape modeller but not worth the price IMO. Build quality isn't that great but it sounds pretty good.
Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man - great analog delay. Not much features though.

None of those will get you 5-6 seconds of delay though.
I tried the Empress Super Delay and I found the Eventide Timefactor to be more versatile and better sounding.

Just my 2cents.

Altho that said, I quite dislike analog delays these days... so
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
el capistan
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣