Page 1 of 4
How do you feel about people on the street begging for money?
Last edited by mizxou at Aug 11, 2011,
there are these weird creepy 80's looking hobo-punks that are always asking for a spare "buck" locally. It's creepy stuff, especially when one of them ask for change, and if you say no, the other one will wait around a corner...just waiting (they only come out at night...seriously haha)
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
ITT: TS is a heartless douchebag incapable of sympathizing for people in such a horrendous economic circumstance that they must subject themselves to asking complete strangers for money.

Oh, the humanity!
Quote by mizxou
How do you feel about people on the street begging for money?

I really hate it and think it should be illegal. There are so many drug addicts and drunks who get probably 100% of their money to buy alcohol or drugs from begging, if it was illegal they would have to find another way to get money. Of course many of them would steal, but then many would get arrested because they're stupid.

Does anyone else think it would be better if it was illegal to beg? And can anyone explain why it isn't illegal?

Who ****ing cares what they spend it on? What were you going to do of such critical importance with that 75 cents?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by blackflag49
Jesus, have a heart. It's humiliating to beg.

I don't doubt that...for a second. But TS's point is that they only want it for necessities anyway, a là drugs or booze anyway, so for those, hell yeah should they feel humiliated, if they've let themselves be plowed into the ground by their own addictions.
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by coco-loco
I don't doubt that...for a second. But TS's point is that they only want it for necessities anyway, a là drugs or booze anyway, so for those, hell yeah should they feel humiliated, if they've let themselves be plowed into the ground by their own addictions.

It's not your job to cast aspersions on them. And they should feel humiliated because they fell victim to addictions?

You're as heartless as TS is.
It is illegal to beg in communist Denmark IIRC. I don't feel bad about it though, as the only reason you'd beg here is if you'd choose to. Living off welfare is almost luxurious conditions.
Quote by Vornik
Who ****ing cares what they spend it on? What were you going to do of such critical importance with that 75 cents?

Seriously? I mean, why the **** would you give a stranger money for something which isn't good for them anyway, or the thing that actually made them get there in the first place...and now, I know that there are beggars on the street which aren't addicts or dodgy at all, and for them, I sympathize, but for the rest, I have much less sympathy for, though I confess I don't like seeing them out there...(for their sakes)
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by coco-loco
Seriously? I mean, why the **** would you give a stranger money for something which isn't good for them anyway, or the thing that actually made them get there in the first place...and now, I know that there are beggars on the street which aren't addicts or dodgy at all, and for them, I sympathize, but for the rest, I have much less sympathy for, though I confess I don't like seeing them out there...(for their sakes)

Just because they're addicts doesn't mean they're not people, you know.

Addictions are a horrible thing, and who are you to judge people who fall victim to them? You don't know how they got there, or why they started doing drugs. I'd much rather these people be begging than stealing or mugging.
Fun fact: not everyone living on the streets is addicted to drugs. Crazy, right?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by coco-loco

Do you have any statistics to back up your assertion that a significant amount of beggars are using the money on substances? Moreover, do you have any statistics to back up your assertion that they became beggars after being ravaged by addiction? Do you even understand that at a certain point, drugs or alcohol become a necessity?
Yeah, let's throw them in prison or fine them. That'll solve the problem.

Idiot.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by Rogue Hermit
Fun fact: not everyone living on the streets is addicted to drugs. Crazy, right?

Some are even mentally ill.

I have had to beg, it sucks. It extremely embarrassing, and people will let you know you are worthless. Luckily Im not in that situation anymore, but if you see someone down on their luck, toss em some change, what does it hurt?

OT: I busk around alot with my friends now. Playing music for cash once in a while is a fun way to get a nice meal/booze :P
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Ok,for some reason no one else has mentioned this so i'll be first to say it.
Its B.E.G.G.A.R.=Beggar!
Anyway,back to the topic.Yes,i think it should be illegal too.If you look deep inside the system you'll find that there are actual agencies who 'hire'these people who are looking for money(and they obv come from a background where they're facing financial stress to the point they'll do anything for money).These agencies put them on the streets and make money off them.It is true!
You can only feel sad for their state and be infuriated with the fact that why they never take the chance to do something else in life.If begging is made illegal,the streets will definitely be cleaner and safer but then, where do they go?Govts.should come up with a plan where they can 'hire'these people and put them to good use.
That's how i think it can be done!
RAH.

Jesus Christ. Hear me out:

I don't think Beggars are bad people, right?

EDIT: Oh, and definitely don't believe that it should be a crime to beg. That's ridiculous.

I don't want them to be thrown in prison.

And I certainly never said that beggars all addicts. If I'm an idiot, then you're clearly not reading my posts properly. Idiot.

Oh, and also, no I don't have statistics...I'm 15, yeah? I'm arrogant, stupid, and an attention *****. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Right?
Quote by slash_GNR666

Last edited by coco-loco at Jun 8, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah, let's throw them in prison or fine them. That'll solve the problem.

Idiot.

If done right it will solve the problem. It's not just a matter of throwing them in prison, it would be about making a program where the end goal has them working a job and living somewhere and showing those who are addicts how to be functioning addicts.
If they legitimately cannot find a job and they need to beg in order to survive and people are willing to give they money I don't see why it should be illegal. No one's forcing you to give them money.

And there are plenty of drug addicts who need rehabilitation who are not beggars, as well as many beggars who have never used drugs in their life.

anyway, I usually give them my change if I have any
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jun 8, 2011,
I give sometimes, I prefer not being nagged for it, one time I was at mcdonalds with my mates and this guy is walking around asking for change.

He comes up to our table while we're busy eating and just starts small talk, It annoyed me because it was pretty redundant having a chat cause everyone knows what he wants I was about to spot him the change and as he starts shaking the change in his hand he goes...

"Hey man you got 5 bucks I'm really hungry..."

5 bucks?

The guy went straight for the juggular, like come on...I told him to go get bent...my lunch only cost me 4 bucks, he already had between 5 to 8 dollars in change, I guessed he wanted cigarettes but who knows but man was he keen.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by coco-loco
RAH.

Jesus Christ. Hear me out:

I don't think Beggars are bad people, right?

I don't want them to be thrown in prison.

And I certainly never said that beggars all addicts. If I'm an idiot, then you're clearly not reading my posts properly. Idiot.

Oh, and also, no I don't have statistics...I'm 15, yeah? I'm arrogant, stupid, and an attention *****. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Right?

No, but you're making a generalization on all beggars based upon those of them who are addicts. And I'd like to know where that stereotyping of yours is coming from, because it's not logic. If you had statistics to back you up, that would be another matter.

Oh, and I was 15 not too long ago. That's no justification for classism.
Quote by mizxou
If done right it will solve the problem. It's not just a matter of throwing them in prison, it would be about making a program where the end goal has them working a job and living somewhere and showing those who are addicts how to be functioning addicts.

Ah, thanks for enlightening me. I was unaware 'making it illegal' actually meant 'creating a job placement program designed to help them attain financial stability'
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
I give sometimes, I prefer not being nagged for it, one time I was at mcdonalds with my mates and this guy is walking around asking for change.

He comes up to our table while we're busy eating and just starts small talk, It annoyed me because it was pretty redundant having a chat cause everyone knows what he wants I was about to spot him the change and as he starts shaking the change in his hand he goes...

"Hey man you got 5 bucks I'm really hungry..."

5 bucks?

The guy went straight for the juggular, like come on...I told him to go get bent...my lunch only cost me 4 bucks, he already had between 5 to 8 dollars in change, I guessed he wanted cigarettes but who knows but man was he keen.

Later that day:

Quote by StewieSwan
Ah, thanks for enlightening me. I was unaware 'making it illegal' actually meant 'creating a job placement program designed to help them attain financial stability'

Someone never learned how to read between the lines in English class....
God, I'm glad to see some people are beginning to agree with my side haha.

And since when did UG members not read other posters posts properly. (A tongue twister right there...)
Quote by slash_GNR666

Don't come to Boston then. Shit ton of them. The other day someone had a sign that said "spare some change to fuel my alcholism."

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by coco-loco

Because I'm an empathetic person. Whether or not I give them $2 won't affect any addiction they might have.
Quote by coco-loco

Right?

.... Okay.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by Xiaoxi
Don't come to Boston then. Shit ton of them. The other day someone had a sign that said "spare some change to fuel my alcholism."

I'd buy that ****er a beer
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
Yeah that's right, I stabbed him.

Well survival of the fittest and all that
Quote by Xiaoxi

The classics "I bet you cant hit me with a quarter / Ninjas killed my family" are always wonderful
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Most of us are living 1 paycheck away from being homeless. Think about it.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by trueamerican
No, but you're making a generalization on all beggars based upon those of them who are addicts. And I'd like to know where that stereotyping of yours is coming from, because it's not logic. If you had statistics to back you up, that would be another matter.

Oh, and I was 15 not too long ago. That's no justification for classism.

More like Assism

It's really just my own personal opinion, and I seriously didn't expected to get hounded down upon it, so for that, I'm sorry if I've caused great offence or anything, for that wasn't my intention. And as for stereotyping, where was I stereotyping? If you're referring to the "If they are druggies" or whatever comment, then obviously my point didn't come across properly.

I personally don't do drugs, though I have nothing wrong with them. At all! Some of my buddies at school do drugs. Now, if I am against them, I wouldn't' be buddies with the buddies I have haha.

And I know that drug addictions, like most other addictions don't just start off with a person going "Gee, I feel like doing drugs today. I'm gonna go gemme some", I know that, and I know that there are numbers of reasons for addictions starting, some of which are semi-legit by my standards.

So I'm not saying that ALL beggars who do/have done drugs should be "thrown in prison", at all. It was just a scenario I was giving.

Sorry if it came across poorly, and for causing offence.
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by Vornik
Most of us are living 1 paycheck away from being homeless. Think about it.

I'd rather not.
Do you guys ever actually give money?

I don't. Boston hobos are the goddamn worst. They are all 2-faced. They suck up so much to you when they see you, but the moment you tell them no they start hurling insults at you. One time I got into a fight with this tiny black dude who had an obese black dude backing him up because he started yelling racial slurs, and I have an extremely short fuse for that. Since it was right in the middle of downtown where everyone can see, I felt safe enough to punch the small dude in the face and the big one started coming at me. Luckily the police showed up and arrested them before he could do anything.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by RPGoof

That's really cool I'm serious haha. If he really did relapse though, that's awful, really.
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by Xiaoxi
Do you guys ever actually give money?

Nope. I don't see the point in perpetuating the problem- instead of actually trying to turn the problem around, the small amounts a beggar will gain in Denmark will only be enough for him to stand in the same spot the next day. It's pointless really, given the rather extensive options for governmental help.

Also, I never have small change anymore, everything goes on the Visa card
Page 1 of 4