Hi all, Im looking at getting some emg actives but not sure which to go with.

I play metal and they will be going in either a ibanez or a Schecter. I use a engl fireball.

What are the best options and how much can I get them for. Would I be best off trading my blackouts for them?

Thanks
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
I honestly can't say anything about blackouts because I haven't checked 'em out...currently I use emg 81 (bridge) and emg 60 (neck) which are an awesome combo. The 81 is more about the low end attack and the 60 is more of a creamy bluesy kinda sound.

you could also try out an 81 n an 85, thats zakk wylde's config.
Ye I was thinking the 81/85, but saw people used 81/60, but not sure on the difference
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
If you have blackouts now, EMGs would be a downgrade. I've had both in my Ibanez and the blackouts are the far better pup. One exception may be the new Hetfield EMGs...those look like EMGs answer to the blackouts. Haven't tried them.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
@dkunick: why do u say they're a downgrade? i just haven't used blackouts before so I'd just like to know...n yeah the hetfield pups are pretty cool
Well they might be but I want to try some new pups and get a different tone. I find blackouts very noisey
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Quote by dkunick
If you have blackouts now, EMGs would be a downgrade. I've had both in my Ibanez and the blackouts are the far better pup. One exception may be the new Hetfield EMGs...those look like EMGs answer to the blackouts. Haven't tried them.

EMG's a downgrade to blackouts.

Thats soooo subjective. Not everyone has the same ear for tone. It may be to you, but it may totally be the opposite to others. Please don't say that as if its a fact.

TS are you sure you wanna stick with Actives? There are passives out there that may actually be perfect for you.
Last edited by Syriel at Jun 8, 2011,
Yes I want actives, I have passive Im my ibby and actives in my Schecter and find that tone is abit more heavy and rounded with them, still do love my bk mm, but sound different.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Honestly the difference between Blackouts and EMGs is very little. Distorted they sound the same. Playing clean the Blackouts have a little more headroom and aren't so compressed so their clean tone is a little smoother and more passive-sounding. If you switch to regular EMGs all you'll be doing is compressing your clean tone. If you switch to EMG X-series pickups you'll get a slightly different tone balance but they have the same more open cleans/still compressed distortion as Blackouts.
Quote by grohl1987
Honestly the difference between Blackouts and EMGs is very little. Distorted they sound the same. Playing clean the Blackouts have a little more headroom and aren't so compressed so their clean tone is a little smoother and more passive-sounding. If you switch to regular EMGs all you'll be doing is compressing your clean tone. If you switch to EMG X-series pickups you'll get a slightly different tone balance but they have the same more open cleans/still compressed distortion as Blackouts.

+1

To be honest, TS, you'd probably notice very little difference. Makes it seem pointless to me.
Well from what i can tell they sound slightly different, and i find that there is alot of noise from the blackouts, or was in my epi, so they might not be in a new guitar.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Get an ISP Decimator or an MXR Smart Gate, it will cost less and solve your "noise" issue.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Got a ns-2, anyway, which would be my best option to go for
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Didn't see you have a noise gate already, have you tried dialing back your gain? Alot of people make the mistake of dialing their gain to 10 whenyou realy don't need to.

But as stated you will probably find there is little to no diffrenc in the SD's and EMG's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Isp is what everyone hear raves about, but the MXR is no slouch. I don't think eather is a bad choice.do you have your NS2 running in the X pattern that some do?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I love my isp, couldnt do without it now, but the ns should do fine I would think.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Don't get rid of the blackouts. To me they sound so much better then EMGs
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
I've got blackouts in my 7 string and they are the best actives that I've tried. I've installed hundreds of pickups in hundreds of guitars and i've tried almost everything out there and honestly, I prefer them to the emg's. Now thats not to say that one is better than the other. What I would suggest is that you try both for yourself. I'm sure that your local guitar store has guitars with both blackouts and 81's or whatever model you think you want. Once you have one beside the other, try doing an A/B.

If you aren't stuck on Active Pups, I would suggest that you try some high output dimarzios Those rocked my socks....
Last edited by ironrattlehead at Jun 8, 2011,
Well to answer what everyone has said so far, i use gain at about 2 o clock, i put the lead in to the input and output, not sure what x thing you mean.

As far as active go i have bare knuckles in at currently and i find that it is slightly lacking compared to my schecter.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
If you're getting background noise with your Blackouts then something has gone wrong in your rig. Either the wiring in the rooms you've been playing in has been dodgy, you've been playing in a room with lots of lights or computers or screens and so on or something inside either your amp or your guitar hasn't been grounded properly or it could be you're using a cheap cable. Either way, don't blame the pickups. Blackouts are pretty much the quietest pickups around. EMG X-series pickups are the absolute quietest and they're only about 1dB quieter which is such a small difference you can't hear it.
you can run guitar to input, output to amp FX send to other input, output to FX return. If you look at the Boss site you can pull up the guide to show you exactly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by grohl1987
If you're getting background noise with your Blackouts then something has gone wrong in your rig. Either the wiring in the rooms you've been playing in has been dodgy, you've been playing in a room with lots of lights or computers or screens and so on or something inside either your amp or your guitar hasn't been grounded properly or it could be you're using a cheap cable. Either way, don't blame the pickups. Blackouts are pretty much the quietest pickups around. EMG X-series pickups are the absolute quietest and they're only about 1dB quieter which is such a small difference you can't hear it.

Well i had them in my old guitar, so i might put them in my ibby and take out the bare knuckles and see what difference it makes.

I find im loosing alot of mids with them in it, would these bring more mids to it?

Put guitar input and the send to amp? Il try it, but i dont put it in the loop.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Please Look up the Boss manual for your pedal. it explains exactly how to run it in the x patern and has an idiot proof diagram
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ye that looks better il give it a try, now just to work out how to wire my blackouts in ha ha
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Let me know if it works.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i will when i have band practise next, but i will need to re think my pedal order now i think
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
just no need to spend $$ you don't need to if you can use what you already have, and maybe a couple cords you need to buy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by avenge the rage

I find im loosing alot of mids with them in it, would these bring more mids to it?
Active pickups have lots of mids, more than any passive pickup can possibly have. However they also have more bass and treble to which evens out the tone. That is why it might seem that your active pickups don't have strong mids. They actually do, it's just that the bass and treble is equally as strong as well. What you need to do with active pickups is pay much closer attention to your amp, speakers and how you set the EQ. With passive pickups the sound you're hearing is defined both at the guitar because every passive pickup will lack something and then att he amp too throught he EQ and speakers. With active pickups the tone is only being defiend at the amp stage because the pickups aren't lacking anything.

When people are unhappy with their active pickups it seems to always be a case of them not really understanding how they work.
got plenty of chords, i think i need some good patch cables, which i should be buying friday providing i can afford them.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
What I meant was my passive where lacking in mids, the miracle man seems to take mids and so does my amp and cab, so Im hoping these will give it abit more oomph
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Well if you want a ton of mids and find the Bare Knuckle Miracle Man lacking, it's because you've got the wrong Bare Knuckle. The Miracle Man is designed for a very modern Metal sound and as such it's EQ is scooped. Look at the EQ charts on their website. All you need is a Bare Knuckle that gives you more mids. I think you'd like the new Aftermath. All the advantages of actives (such as they are) with none of the sterile nastiness. The Painkiller might be a good option too. Either way, there's no way in creation that any EMG is within a million miles of being as good as a Bare Knuckle.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Well if you want a ton of mids and find the Bare Knuckle Miracle Man lacking, it's because you've got the wrong Bare Knuckle. The Miracle Man is designed for a very modern Metal sound and as such it's EQ is scooped. Look at the EQ charts on their website. All you need is a Bare Knuckle that gives you more mids. I think you'd like the new Aftermath. All the advantages of actives (such as they are) with none of the sterile nastiness. The Painkiller might be a good option too. Either way, there's no way in creation that any EMG is within a million miles of being as good as a Bare Knuckle.

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have had EMG 81's in a few guitars and I must say I really like them... You can also try the 18v mod to add some more headroom which makes the clean a bit nicer. I have played through blackouts once at a guitar shop and I didn't mind them either. I have a habit of sticking to what I know and I bought my first emg 81 for an old ibanez in 2001 and its hard to look back. The only other decent pick up ive owned is a dimebucker which i also like as a really noisey trebly alternative. I say try a few out and pick what feels right to you.
oh and on the topic of Bareknuckles... Has anyone tried a bareknuckle nailbomb? I've really wanted to give them a try since hearing about them online. I generally use emg's and 3 of my guitars have 81's in the bridge so i'm worried if I like the nailbomb i'll have way too much pick up purchasing to do.
So basically im better swapping my miracle man for a aftermath and keeping the blackouts?
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals: