And by any gear, I mean that I don't have a drumset, no practice pads and not even drum sticks! That's because I'm a guitarist but I think good drumming is awesome, but I suck. So I want to practice, yet I don't want to spend money on a drum set, because i want to buy new guitar gear...

Things I have seen so far:

-Listen to a song, tap along with your foot, let the song keep playing but turn the volume off, keep tapping your foot, turn the volume back on and see if you are still in sync with the song.

-Buy a practice pad, wich would mean for me that I of course also have to buy drumsticks.

-Tap along with a song, it can be with your hands or your feet, or both.

-

-

-

any suggestions?
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Have you ever played drums before? I went through a period of not having a drum kit, so I'd practice by sitting and tapping on my thighs with my hands and my feet on the ground. Basically whenever I was listening to music and not doing anything else I'd be practising drumming. Although I don't know if this really works if you've never actually used a drum kit before, because you're not familiar with what hand and what foot should be doing what. This doesn't help with technique either, more with learning beats and keeping time.

Honestly dude, there's no better way to learn than behind a kit. I know this probably isn't an option for you, but should the opportunity arise, buy a kit. It's the only way to really get the technique down, because try as they might, practice pads just don't give the same response and bounce as real drums. Plus, an actual drum kit is infinitely more satisfying than a practice pad, which will make you want to keep playing.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Jun 8, 2011,
Air drumming....Make shift drumset from buckets

Seriously, just make a "drumset" from buckets, I did it and it wasn't like the real thing but at least you are hitting something other than air or your body.
is an electric drumset good enough to learn to drum on? a set for like 500 dollars perhaps?
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Get a practice pad and sticks. -$30 get a snare book - $10 Learning all the rudiments - Priceless! Now your done!
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by bartnijman
is an electric drumset good enough to learn to drum on? a set for like 500 dollars perhaps?

If you're restricted in terms of noise output then it's probably the best option i would say.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
An electric kit for $500 would probably be shit-awful, if worse comes to worst you could just bang on the pads though

If you know what the actual groove is rhythmically then you can just tap out the rhythms with your hands and feet, like on the desk and floor and stuff. I do that all the time and it actually does help.

You'll never develop chops that way though, just coordination/independence basically. But yeah.
Quote by Steve08
An electric kit for $500 would probably be shit-awful, if worse comes to worst you could just bang on the pads though

If you know what the actual groove is rhythmically then you can just tap out the rhythms with your hands and feet, like on the desk and floor and stuff. I do that all the time and it actually does help.

You'll never develop chops that way though, just coordination/independence basically. But yeah.

My Alesis was around 5 and a half, and its got a great sound...

... Of course, it is the Studio USB, and I'm running it straight into SD2.0.
Practice rudiments with your hands, practice beats with your hand, try coordinating feet and hands. Just tap your hand on your legs or on your desk or on your pillow. Be creative!

P.S: That's what I'm doing. Except I have drumsticks and only drumsticks, I use my bed to practice. Seriously, they're like 5$.
I'm sick of all
Your hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy
To get me through the day

LONG LIVE DREAM
^thats what I do when I don't have my kit handy. You do need to practice on a kit sometimes but getting the coordination of feet and hands along with getting the basic rhythms can be done, in a pinch, with simply tapping on your legs or tables and the floor.
Not taking any online orders.
You could just do what I do when I practice a song on the Quints for Marching band;

make up a set on the floor/wall with duct tape, and tap along to a song. it'll at least give you a sence of direction when you try for a real set.
Powdered Doughnuts make me go nuts!
I don't have kit in my house (its at my rehearsal space), so to practice I just set up pillows at different heights and locations in front of me and assigned each one in my head to be a different drum. Then I played, and tapped my foot. Drum sticks are only $5 to $10 bucks. Buy a pair, and then do this. You'll at least develop limb independence and a sense of rhythm this way.
Tapping does massivley help. I have a full drum set but often tap throughout the day (just with my hands and feet - imagine you're playing a full kit).

I learnt to play Bonham triplets this way!

Sam
Quote by Steve08

Not necessarily. I sometimes see Roland and Yamaha electric sets on Craigslist, for about $500. Occasionally for less.
(C4C) Here's the thread for my loopy loop, "We Began." It's kooky... CLICK
Hi bartnijman,
Checkout Drum-A-Long by Rhythmic Magic / everything you need to get started.
Even comes with a PATENTED play-by-numbers system, professional sticks, one of a kind drum set practice pad and a play-a-long CD.
If you can count to 4, you can learn to play the drums.
I developed it for my new drum students just getting started.
Great for any musician wanting to play the drums or get better at rhythm.
Video: [forbidden link]
Available At: [forbidden link]
Making the world a little better one question at a time.
Can't we all just drum-a-long?

Richard,
I'm just starting to play the drums and Frank Fakinos sent me one of those drum along pads for my Birthday. I think it's really cool. - Tyler-age 11
pillows are ok, but you'll develop really bad grip techniques if you do only that. A drumstick should be very loose in your hand, like its on the verge of getting dropped, but you'll no doubt develop huge ham fists bashing away on pillows all the time. It's ok for strength and speed, and bad for grip.

Buy a practice pad, because that's what it's for, and learn a few paradiddles. Just being able to play those and sound even will keep you busy for a long time. You can also get quite far just by tapping your feet up and down as if you are playing double bass. I drive the guys at work nuts doing that. I'll build up some stamina, and also help you work on getting it even. Don't Only do these things though, because you'll again start learning bad technique.
Even the cheapo ekits should be good enough for what you need starting out. Practicing air drumming won't help with the kick as you need a real piece of hardware to get the feel for it. You can also get one of the practice kits which are just padded practice pads aligned at level for where you'd have your drums.
I guess you can try tapping on stuff... but it's really not the same thing. You need sticks, at the very least.

Still... you wouldn't expect to be able to learn guitar without having a guitar, would you?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Whatever the case, I'm sure he has either figured out a way, or given up by now...seeing as it is 2 years later :p
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
Whatever the case, I'm sure he has either figured out a way, or given up by now...seeing as it is 2 years later :p

Totally didn't even notice that. Standby while the banhammer is dealt to the spambot.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hi
Whatever in case you want to practice the drumming without any gear then you should try this following tips:

Listen to a song, tap along with your foot, let the song keep playing but turn the volume off, keep tapping your foot, turn the volume back on and see if you are still in sync with the song.

Buy a practice pad, wich would mean for that of course also have to buy drumsticks.

Tap along with a song, it can be with your hands or your feet, or both.

I hope this will helpful to you
Quote by bartnijman
And by any gear, I mean that I don't have a drumset, no practice pads and not even drum sticks! That's because I'm a guitarist but I think good drumming is awesome, but I suck. So I want to practice, yet I don't want to spend money on a drum set, because i want to buy new guitar gear...

Things I have seen so far:

-Listen to a song, tap along with your foot, let the song keep playing but turn the volume off, keep tapping your foot, turn the volume back on and see if you are still in sync with the song.

-Buy a practice pad, wich would mean for me that I of course also have to buy drumsticks.

-Tap along with a song, it can be with your hands or your feet, or both.

-

-

-

any suggestions?

I have developed a video course for people just like you who have no equipment. I believe you can develop the muscle memory and the coordination needed to play the drums just by using your hands and your feet. It's called 'Learn to Play the Drums without a Drum Kit' and it's on a learning platform called Udemy.com

The videos start of very basic but get very challenging and almost 1200 students have already signed up (as of March 2015).

I am just about to start video recording another course on playing with a drumkit too so if you get good with not using any equipment then you can progress onto this for free.

Udemy is a great site anyway for learning loads of different things, not just my course, but, if you're interested here's a link for money off so check it out and enrol!

Long link:
https://www.udemy.com/learn-to-play-the-drums-without-a-drum-kit/?couponCode=NINET33N

Short link: bit.ly/1xEyRH0
Last edited by billy_baker at Mar 27, 2015,
I feel a drumkit purchase lurking in my future. My teachers in elementary school would make me sit back from my desk because I was always drumming on it. ..... And then I picked up the cello. Which I don't regret at ALL buuuuuut...

I feel like I'm ready to get a kit. I still "drum" on the counters or with pens or whatever. Not to toot my horn but rhythm is something God blessed me with, and a love for loud things as well. It's just waiting to happen.
Agile AL-3010SE Goldtop
Carvin 4-string kit bass
Stradivarius copy cello
-><-