hi ,i have digitech gnx4 and i know it's not built with new technologies, but do you think it's still good for practicing and jamming with friends?or i must plan to upgrade to newer multieffects or single pedals?i think it's tone is a bit digital and i'm planing to buy a pair of yamaha hs50 monitors to play gnx4 through it,does it increase the tone quality?
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
if you like it then that is all that matters!

does your avt150 have an effects loop? if so, plug the gnx4 into the fx loop return and that will bypass the preamp of the marshall. then you just have a clean poweramp to run the gnx4 amp models through.

Also, try getting some more info in here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415782

These guys may have some experience with the gnx4.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
It's not necessary to upgrade unless there are features in newer units that you want. If you get a good tube amp, then you can use the GNX4 with the amp model turned off and use the distortion stomps for boosting and adding distortion. The GNX4 is more powerful than the latest RP1000 in terms of features.

You can assign up to three parameter changes to each control switch or the expression pedal on the GNX4. For example, with one footswitch press you could toggle the gain from 30 to 70, turn the chorus off, and change the delay time from 100msec to 500msec. This would be impossible with the RP1000.

You can still use amp models to get tones completely outside the range of your amp. I have a GNX4 and like it a lot, but it can be tough to tweak the amp models. The best upgrade IMO would be a HD500. It would hard to get rid of the GNX4 for home practice because it's the only multifx that synchonizes the drum machine with the loop/recorder and the recorder is extremely powerful.

It's unfortunate that the basic architecture of the GNX4 was dropped. With only minor programming changes it could have the power of the $500 RC50 or Boomerang loopers.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 8, 2011,
i really like the gnx4 and it's featurers but my concern is that i think maybe i miss much tone quality compared to gt10 and rp1000 multi effects.
i didnt try them but can you tell me is the tone difference between gnx4 and those Very much
that i need to upgrade my unit?
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
If it's strictly tone and nothing else the RP1000 is a better unit. I have both an RP1000 and a GNX4. But if I were to go for a tone upgrade over the GNX4 I would get an HD500.

What kind of amp models are you looking to improve. The Digitech community web site has some presets that might help get you to where you want to be. There is a guy neamed "guitar1234" or something like that. He created the MFX Supermodels and has posted some of his presets there. I would look into that.

Edit: Here's the web site...

http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guitar_list_patches.asp?productid=199

Look for patches by guitar3456
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 8, 2011,
yes i have some mfx supermodels but when i record through gnx4 usb i'm not happy with the record quality
maybe my problem is that gnx4 usb record is not good enough,if i plug the gnx4 output to an audio interface like m audio profire610 or mic the power amp wll i get a good tone?
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
I have a GNX3 and I would take it over the RP 1000 any day. The featurs that are on the GNX series is years ahead of the RP line. Oh and I got mine for free, found it in my garage a few years ago, with no power cord. I still have no idea when or where it came from though killer score for me!!

The POD HD seems to bet the go to multi FX now. I have never used one though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate