Hey all, I have a new guitar with a wider than normal neck at the nut (1.80) that is great for playing regular chords, which is why I bought it However, barre chords are a little more difficult. Do you think lowering the action would be a good idea?
-Mike
it will make it easier to push the strings down...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Yeah, it'll make the strings easier to push down, but you'll be sacrificing tone for convenience. It's just the price you pay.
Try it...
Adjust action to make the guitar more comfortable for you to play, not easier
If you don't like it low, raise it up again...done!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
Try it...
Adjust action to make the guitar more comfortable for you to play, not easier
If you don't like it low, raise it up again...done!

Can I do this myself (I have never done this)? What would be a reasonable price to pay to have a professional do it?
-Mike
It's not hard at all, and I'm sure you can do it. You need to adjust intonation as well possibly, depending on much you change the action.

That said, if you aren't comfortable adjusting things on your guitar yourself, you should probably have someone knowledgable do it for you, but you'll need to be there yourself for the process though, since you're the only one who can say if it's good or not.

I can't quote a price sorry, I haven't the slightest idea...but probably whatever their lowest fee is for doing things on guitars.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Are we talking an acoustic or an electric here? Electrics tend to have highly-adjustable bridge/saddle assemblies, but if you're having trouble with lower-position barre chords then the action at the nut is likely too high.
Adjusting the action at the nut is the same with either acoustic or electric, and involves properly filing the nut slots with appropriately-sized nut files.
Or, if the nut can be easily removed, the entire nut can be lowered by sanding with a sanding block and great patience.
Doing the individual slots is easier; you can work on one string at a time and you don't have to remove the strings, just loosen them.
However, you must maintain the proper break angle and use the right-sized file.
Best to go to a technician if you are not familiar.