Hi, I'm new on UG and am buying a new electric guitar. So far I've picked out the amp and multi-effects pedal : zoom g2.nu. But I can't decide on which guitar to go with. My playing style is mainly heavy,thrash and death metal and a bit of avenged sevenfold, but I also like hard rock\bluesy stuff like guns n roses, alter bridge. Oh and I also listen to a lot of bucket head, joe satriani, type stuff so the neck needs to be smooth. I need a versatile guitar. So far, my choices are :

Schecter Damien Elite FR - $730 (I have to import it)
Jackson Dx10d - $560
Jackson Wrxt - $ 620
Schecter Damien 6 fr - $600 ( the one that looks like Batman's guitar)

What are the pros and cons of these guitars? Which will be suited for my playing style? Which is best quality? And I've been saving up a lot for this one and don't want to regret spending too much and I don't think I'll be able to buy another guitar for quite some time
firstly do you really need a tremolo? They are very time consuming to set up and change strings on unitll you get used to them. I wouldnt reccomend one for your first guitar unless you desperately want one
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
go with the damien 6 fr. that was my first electric guitar and has far surpassed my highest hopes for it. the only problem is that if you change tunings a lot then the floyd rose is gonna be a problem otherwise if you're like me and just stick to one tuning its perfect.
I don't mind, I know the floyd rose is really complicated and time consuming to set up, but I don't want to miss out on dive bombing, sooner or later, I'm gonna have to learn how to set up a floyd rose, so why not sooner? XD and how come everyone's going with the damien 6 fr? why not the elite? what's wrong with it? Is it that they're not worth the money($730) ? and is it true that the schecter necks are really thick? my hands are reasonably big, I wouldn't have a problem would I?
which amp have you picked out, out of interest?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Forget the tremolo for your circumstances its really not a good idea you wont be able to change tunings easily which a lot of bands you listen to while use different ones.
TBH get a hardtail.
You can always get a guitar with a floyd later. A hard tail will be handy to have. I've learned this from experience.
If it's your first guitar or you want simplicity, get the hardtail version of either of those Schecters.
If you know what you're getting yourself into (changing tunings with a Floyd is a beginner's nightmare, my local guitar tech charges 20% extra for a full set-up if you have a double locking trem, etcetera), the Schecter Damien 6 FR is a good bet.

Importing a guitar can get expensive.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
well, I'm just gonna buy some 20w practice amp because at gigs we're gonna be supplied with amps, and my drummer has a really good amp, so I won't be spending too much on something to practice with at home.

as for the floyd rose, can you suggest some videos from youtube or something so that I look into how hard it is to tune, so that I at least get an idea of how tough its gonna be. Oh and for slayer songs, won't I need a tremolo?
Quote by soon2shred94
well, I'm just gonna buy some 20w practice amp because at gigs we're gonna be supplied with amps, and my drummer has a really good amp, so I won't be spending too much on something to practice with at home.

as for the floyd rose, can you suggest some videos from youtube or something so that I look into how hard it is to tune, so that I at least get an idea of how tough its gonna be. Oh and for slayer songs, won't I need a tremolo?

There's a sticky on how to set it up.
Click here to go to that sticky.

It's not so much tough as it is repetitive and tedious to get exactly right.

PS. Another reason Floyd Roses are generally a bad idea for beginners is because on the cheap guitars beginners often buy, they're crappy and won't stay in tune.
The guitars you listed have decent Floyds though, so if you know what you got yourself into you'll be fine with them.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jun 8, 2011,
its really confusing :|
what are fine tuners? How do I know when I've set it to middle position?
Quote by soon2shred94

On this picture, #4 is one of 6 fine tuners. The picture is of a Floyd Rose Pro, but they look exactly the same on every other dual-locking bridge.

Take one string off, play with the now-unused fine tuner until you've found the highest it will go and the lowest it will go. The middle position is exactly inbetween the two.

It's really a lot more intuitive than you think it is, you just need to experience it instead of hearing me ramble on.

EDIT IT IN: If you're that confused, are you sure you want a Floyd? People will forgive you for not being able to go "wheewheewhee-booooommmm" during your solos and outros.
Quote by soon2shred94

right here... this is when you know you shouldn't get a guitar with a Floyd Rose.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
the tuning part seems pretty easy, I've watched a video on it and the sticky, I get it now. But what is intonation? I don't understand anything on that part :\
Avoid the Floyd. If you don't have any experience in setting them up, you're going to hate them. Get a fixed bridge for now. It will be a hell of a lot easier to set up. You will have more time to play and less time being frustrated trying to set it up properly.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 8, 2011,
Quote by soon2shred94
the tuning part seems pretty easy, I've watched a video on it and the sticky, I get it now. But what is intonation? I don't understand anything on that part :\

Intonation is effectively where the harmonic nodes are placed on the guitar strings. Varying the length of the string will change that slightly - that's what intonation is. It has to be accurate or the fretted notes will fall out of tune.
Intonation will work very much the same on any guitar - you move the bridge saddle back and forth until the 12th fret harmonic (you hold your finger on the string at the 12th fret without applying force and pluck the string) is in tune with the 12th fret played normally.

I still say you should avoid the Floyd for now, people will forgive you for not being able to play a Slayer solo just yet. If you get experience with a hardtail, you can reconsider whether or not you want to go "wheewheewhee-booooommmm".
then do you tune the fixed bridge the same way as you would an acoustic guitar? and once you get it professionally set up, and you want change the tuning, suppose from standard to drop d, do you have to do the intonation thing all over again?
Quote by soon2shred94
then do you tune the fixed bridge the same way as you would an acoustic guitar? and once you get it professionally set up, and you want change the tuning, suppose from standard to drop d, do you have to do the intonation thing all over again?

Generally if you change tunings the intonation stays correct.
On an acoustic guitar, there isn't exactly much to set up about the bridge - you'd have to place a piece of wood veneer under the bridge saddle to change the string height of most acoustics, for example. On an electric you can just use the screws in the saddles - those are the parts of the bridge that the strings will touch, by the way.

To set intonation there will be screws at the back of most non-locking bridges.
ok, so once I get a floyd set up properly, and then a while later, I want to change the tuning, all I have to do is loosen the locking nuts, then wind the tuning peg till I get the desired note?
Quote by soon2shred94
ok, so once I get a floyd set up properly, and then a while later, I want to change the tuning, all I have to do is loosen the locking nuts, then wind the tuning peg till I get the desired note?

And there's the problem with Floyd Roses. Once you change the tuning, the bridge will raise or lower itself to compensate. Getting the bridge to sit correctly afterwards involves removing the backplate and using the screws in the cavity to change where the spring claw sits (and with that how much tension is on the springs, and how the floating part sits when you don't touch it). Getting that just right is crucial to having it stay in tune, and is a f*ckload of trial and error.
Quote by soon2shred94

thing is if you add together the cost of a multifx and a crappy amp you could maybe get a pretty decent amp. a lot of the modelling amps have a fair few fx built in, so you don't really need the multi-fx pedal anyway. something like a roland cube 30x, for example.

regarding the floyd- generally it's a good idea not to get a floyd for your first guitar, for the reasons mentioned.

However, if a lot of the stuff you want to play *needs* a floyd, then it might be ok. My first guitar had a floyd. However, you want to make sure you get a guitar with a good floyd (as the cheaper ones are generally rubbish), and that costs money...

Quote by PsiGuy60

PS. Another reason Floyd Roses are generally a bad idea for beginners is because on the cheap guitars beginners often buy, they're crappy and won't stay in tune.
The guitars you listed have decent Floyds though, so if you know what you got yourself into you'll be fine with them.

i dunno, i mean i don't much like the jackson jt580lp...

Quote by soon2shred94

no you have to rebalance the whole trem
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go with Jackson Dinky (Jackson Kinky)
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
wait a minute, is it true you can do dive bombs with a pedal? even if you have a fixed bridge?? can the zoom g2.1nu which has a pedal, create that effect? O.o
because if it can, I won't need a tremolo
i've never really tried the whammy pedal or similar, but from what i hear, it doesn't really sound the same. I mean if you do one dive bomb every 2 months then it might suffice. But if you do it a lot...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?