Hey this is a big question for me about if it is necessary to have a hard case or a padded cover for my Peavey 6505 when moving it around say bringing it up from my basement and putting it in my car and and driving out to jam some other place is it an absolute must?

Will the tubes break eventually from doing this or anything? because i'm not particularly worried about the hardware on the amp as i think i will position it carefully in order not to break it, but spending over $100 bucks just doesn't seem worth it please get back to me with your ideas.

Also which tubes are the ones that need to be replaced say if your amp stop working is it the preamp tubes?
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Tubes are remarkably tough. It isn't that easy to break a tube. Unless you take them out of the amp and throw them at a concrete floor they aren't going to break. Shaking the amp around can sometimes make a tube rattle out of its socket but the tubes themselves rarely break.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

The output tubes are the usually the first to go but a total failure in any tube can completely kill the amp in most cases.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've been transporting tube amps in a car uncovered a few times a week for a few years now and haven't had any problems. I did have a power tube fall out of its thirty-year-old socket once, but it didn't break.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Cases in my opinion are only for people who do significant travelling with their gear. They protect from cosmetic damage and impact damage. Most impact damage you will probably encounter will be fine. Amp headshells are extremely tough.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
Cases in my opinion are only for people who do significant travelling with their gear. They protect from cosmetic damage and impact damage. Most impact damage you will probably encounter will be fine. Amp headshells are extremely tough.

Or if you have roadies lugging your gear around. Some of the things I've seen roadies do would give you nightmares.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Or if you have roadies lugging your gear around. Some of the things I've seen roadies do would give you nightmares.

May we have an anecdote?
OK. I watched a roady loading the harp section for a Yamaha Electric Grand into a rather large truck. It was in a roadcase with casters. The truck was angled slightly downhill. He just got it up the ramp and then pushed it and let gravity do the rest. It sailed down into the truck and crashed into a 4x12 hard enough to move it about a foot - and it was in a roadcase with no wheels!.
I remember thinking, "that's gonna need tuning when they unload it." Had it been my piano that roady would have been eating through a straw for weeks. It was only luck that it didn't hit something more fragile.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Damn.

I think as long as you're the one looking after your gear it's not really necessary. The only damage the amp will get will be cosmetic, and that'll just give it some mojo.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I wouldn't travel with my Silvertone unless it was in a fightcase haha, the thing feels like it's made of cardboard.
ok good to know i dont have to dish out that much cash yet. Thanks for the advice and tips, and wow wouldn't think some roadies would be that hard on the gear, must be the constant job of always doing it and just wanting to get the job done with.
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321