I've recently become the recipient of a guitar with a most illusive brand. Being a complete beginner, I'd really appreciate whatever information anyone can give me. Her sticker says "Guitarras Anotha Calidad Colon 310 Tel/Fax 01 (423) 525-0588 Paracho, Mich. Mex"

According to Google Maps, Colon 310 is an address in Mexico, but 423 is a Chattanooga, TN area code but the ten digit phone number doesn't pick up anyways. Like I said, I know very nearly nothing about guitars so would be very grateful for any information anyone can give me about this one. I can only guess that it needs nylon strings, and I've heard that some guitars need help with humidity? What?
Quote by recyclability
I've recently become the recipient of a guitar with a most illusive brand. Being a complete beginner, I'd really appreciate whatever information anyone can give me. Her sticker says "Guitarras Anotha Calidad Colon 310 Tel/Fax 01 (423) 525-0588 Paracho, Mich. Mex"

According to Google Maps, Colon 310 is an address in Mexico, but 423 is a Chattanooga, TN area code but the ten digit phone number doesn't pick up anyways. Like I said, I know very nearly nothing about guitars so would be very grateful for any information anyone can give me about this one. I can only guess that it needs nylon strings, and I've heard that some guitars need help with humidity? What?

I came across this on another website.

"Probably a cheap student classical model. A quick search turned this up:

I got a Torre guitar from a friend a few days ago and I found out (from a guitar builder) that my Torre guitar is build in Japan in the 60-70´s. The label inside reads Torre supremo, guitarras de calidad, dallas 4440 london. 4440 is the model number. Dallas is John E Dallas who worked for Arbiter company."

I know this isn't exactly the same, but it was the best comparison I could seem to find? It came with the attached pic.

Oh, also, I put "guitarras anotha calidad" into Google translate, and apparently it means "another quality guitar". Hope this helps some.
Attachments:
Fd93351.jpg
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Last edited by FirstDegree at Jun 11, 2011,
Your guitar is from a town in central Mexico called Paracho. The 423 area code is the area code for the stateof Michoacan, where Paracho is located. Colon 30 is also an address in Paracho. Just about every town and city in Mexico has streets with the same names. So, dial the number with 011-52- before the area code, and your call will likely go through. If you don't speak Spanish don't bother. Few of the luthiers in Paracho speak English. It is far off the tourist path, so English isn't really required .

The Anotha brand is a brand of guitars manufactured in Paracho, and intended for sale alrgely within Mexico. Their intro level guitars retail throughout Mexico for about 600 pesos. I cannot tell you if yours is an intro level guitar or something higher quality from them, or if they even make anything high end.

Over the years I have owned several guitars from Paracho, ranging from low-end beaters to concert quality guitars. I have even visited the town. It is a humble place with a strong history in stringed instruments. Indeed, the local economy depends on the sale of the guitars, violins, guitarrons, requintos, bajos, bajo-sextos, etc. that are made there. Many luthiers are 4th, 5th, and even 6th generation luthiers, and they make their instruments using time honoured methods.

It is likely that it needs nylon strings. Most of the basic guitars made in Paracho do. Don't go cheap on your strings. Invest in good quality strings. It wil make your guitar sound a lot better. Paracho is located high in the hills, in a cool, arid area. YOur guitar, like all guitars should be kept humid. Purchase a humidifer for it if you don't have one.

I have always found it useful to change/upgrade the tuning heads on my Paracho guitars. I have fund that many luthiers there cheap-out on the tuning heads. This is an easy upgrade you can do yourself. It will help your guitar stay in tune, and make it easier to tune.

Hope this helps.
Quote by FirstDegree
Oh, also, I put "guitarras anotha calidad" into Google translate, and apparently it means "another quality guitar". Hope this helps some.
Someone says, "the label inside the guitar says, guitarras de calidad".

"Calidad" translates directly into English as, "quality" "De", is "of" or "from".

"Anotha", is another story entirely, and I think it's a proper name, or a coinage. I don't recognize it as being conversational Spanish, but my knowledge is limited.

However, "otro(a)" means "other" in Spanish. When prefaced with any of these articles: un, uno, or una, it literally becomes, "an-other".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 14, 2013,