Is it foolish to pay more for your amp than for your guitar? Mesa Boogie 5:25 Amp with SE Paul Reed Smith Single cut used for $500 and upgrading the pups to the higher end PRS ones for $120 per. So my amp would be $1500 and my guitar would be about $700. Is that normal? I would like to eventually get a US made PRS...

Edit: added dollar signs
Last edited by Aegaris at Jun 8, 2011,
yeah thats pretty normal, most guys guitars cost less than their amp ide say. i know mine does
Quote by JesusCrisp
It's actually better than the other way most of the time.

I disagree. I've heard plenty of average guitars sound good through a nice amp, I've never heard a nice guitar pretty up a shitty amp.

I think you're doin just fine.
well my main guitar was about £600 and my main amp was £250, but i got it from ebay and it would be worth a lot more brand new but yeah, a mediocre guitar through a good amp seems to be what the majority of people do until they can afford both a high end guitar and amp
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Wolffgang
I disagree. I've heard plenty of average guitars sound good through a nice amp, I've never heard a nice guitar pretty up a shitty amp.

Read his post again. You're agreeing with him.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
that's fine.

i mean if you want to get a us prs later, just save up more (unless there's some reason you can't).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's fine.

i mean if you want to get a us prs later, just save up more (unless there's some reason you can't).

The only reason I'm not getting one now is because I'm dieing to play with something (I don't have a setup besides acoustic atm) and I only have $2300 : )
i have a $2600 PRS and a $2100 MESA. the best thing about the amp is that my other guitars sound better out of it as well.

to sum it up...... all guitars are different, but most people cite their amp as the root of their tone.
The majority of UG'ers don't recommend new amps before all else for no reason. The amp is the majority of your tone, the speakers are also a huge factor in your tone. The guitar is just the icing on the cake, it puts that final touch onto your overall tone.
Yeah that's totally normal. I have a $1000+ egnater, $500 schecter and $300 Michael Kelly so it's quite common.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
It depends on how much money you're spending on the amp.

If we're talking brand new prices of amps:

0-£500 - your amp should be more expensive than your guitar.
£501-1000 - your amp should be a little more expensive than your guitar.
£1001+ - it doesn't matter anymore.

^ roughly speaking. Things may vary and this doesn't account for used prices.

Also the problem with this, and which I'm sure we've all suffered from (especially when starting) is that it seems intuitively wrong to spend more on the amp than your guitar. Plus when we buy amps we set them up and they sit in the corner. You don't get the same hands-on thing you do with guitars. Messes with our minds.

Then we found amps with t00bz and that all changes.
Last edited by Duv at Jun 8, 2011,
^ yeah.

though at the very lowest price range personally i'd say you should spend more on the guitar. A £200 or £300 guitar is generally (barring a kickass deal) a lot better than a £100 one, while a lot of the cheaper amps (things like the roland cube and vox valvetronix) are perfectly acceptably for messing around with at home. Also that £300 guitar (assuming you're judicious in your purchase) will make a perfectly acceptable spare guitar when you upgrade (say if you need a spare for gigs), and that cheap modeller will still be useful even when you upgrade to tube amps for late night playing or other times you need to play quietly but want something a bit more fun and inspiring than playing unplugged.

As opposed to the other way round where you more or less have to dump the £100 starter guitar as it's not worth upgrading, and that £300 amp isn't all that great anyway (obviously there'll be some exceptions).

Generally you want to be making the least upgrades possible, and when you do upgrade, hopefully you can still hang onto your previous gear as it's still useful. Or if not it's good enough kit that you can sell it for a reasonable amount.

Personally I'd say (prices are total budgets, i.e. for both guitar and amp):

£0-£500: spend more on guitar

£500-£1000: about an even split

£1000+: whatever you like (as long as you're not spending less than the previous category's even split on one or the other- like don't get an SLO and pair it with a squier affinity ).

Obviously the type of stuff you play will play a pretty large part in your decision too- it's hard to get good cheaper high gain tube amps, whereas some of the cheaper more vintage-voiced tube amps can be pretty decent for the money. Also if you want a guitar with a floyd, you don't want to be cheaping out on the floyd otherwise you might as well not bother. Etc.

Quote by Aegaris
The only reason I'm not getting one now is because I'm dieing to play with something (I don't have a setup besides acoustic atm) and I only have $2300 : )

ah ok.

well i mean you could always split the budget around 50:50 and get a nice guitar and amp.

though the other school of thought might be to get a kickass amp with a decent guitar, and then get the kickass guitar later (or vice-versa, kickass guitar and decent amp). Because if you get a pretty good guitar and a pretty good amp you might end up upgrading both down the line.

Though spending a ton of money is no guarantee you'll be happy either.

****in' Voltaire was lucky he didn't have electric guitar purchases to contend with.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 8, 2011,
I think that's pretty normal, and smart in my opinion. I don't see myself ever spending more than $1000 on a guitar, but I'd spend $3,000 on an amp tomorrow if I had the money.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah.
though at the very lowest price range...

****in' Voltaire was lucky he didn't have electric guitar purchases to contend with.

Yeh that's probably a fairer assessment.

The only other variables are the fact that some people, beginners especially, don't know what they should buy.

My first amp was a Marshall MG30, and because that was 30 watts I thought I needed a fair amount of wattage even though I didn't. I ended up getting a 40W Marshall tube that was way above what I needed at the time.

I mean put it this way - I bought a Vibro Champ clone for £150, and the little t00b amps go for less than £200-£250 now. Buy one of them and a Fender MIM or something of that price range and you're pretty set. There is no way I would've bought a 5W amp when I was first starting out though because of my n00bishness.

It's basically just a case of working out what you need and buying it as soon as possible in your guitar-life. Which is why I think TS should get a great amp, an acceptable guitar right now and then get the badass PRS. Makes more sense in the long-run.
This way is what I'm about to do, when I finally go to my local shop this weekend. It generally works well this way as the amp provides most of the sound, and the guitar creates the sound, so it should be that the most comfortable guitar played with the most ass-kicking-est amp in your budget should sound better with the most ass-kicking-est guitar played through an amp scraped from the rest of your budget. Ya doin fine. Relax.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by Wolffgang

Depends on what price range you are talking about and how good you are/how bad you suck at dialing in the amp.
That's why I said "most of the time".
Quote by Duv
Yeh that's probably a fairer assessment.

The only other variables are the fact that some people, beginners especially, don't know what they should buy.

My first amp was a Marshall MG30, and because that was 30 watts I thought I needed a fair amount of wattage even though I didn't. I ended up getting a 40W Marshall tube that was way above what I needed at the time.

I mean put it this way - I bought a Vibro Champ clone for £150, and the little t00b amps go for less than £200-£250 now. Buy one of them and a Fender MIM or something of that price range and you're pretty set. There is no way I would've bought a 5W amp when I was first starting out though because of my n00bishness.

It's basically just a case of working out what you need and buying it as soon as possible in your guitar-life. Which is why I think TS should get a great amp, an acceptable guitar right now and then get the badass PRS. Makes more sense in the long-run.

yep, i agree
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah that's what I got going on.

Paid $600 and $250 for my amp/RP1000 and paid $440 for each of my PRS.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
One amp of excellent quality should cost more than one guitar of equal excellent quality, until the Custom Shop threshold has been reached.

Example:

Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster = $1500 new
Metropoulos 10,000 Series Amplifier = $2699 new

Gibson Customshop 60 Les Paul VOS = $3299 new
Metropoulos 10,000 Series Amplifier = $2699 new

There are amps that sell as high as $4,000, but they are few (though legendary). Generally an amp should cost more than a guitar unless the guitar is a Custom Shop/Private Stock, and the amp is not exorbitantly expensive.
Quote by Wolffgang

You didn't hear my strat through my old FM212R. I actually got compliments on my tone from blokes using rivera's and AC30's. Do not underestimate what an amazing guitar can do. If you can play better and more comfortable you will sound much better.

That being said TS it is fine to have a guitar cheaper then your amp.
Quote by Duv
Which is why I think TS should get a great amp, an acceptable guitar right now and then get the badass PRS. Makes more sense in the long-run.

I think TS needs to review his guitar choices... he's getting a PRS SE (700 quid) not an American PRS. IMO, while the PRS SE is a pretty good guitar... I'm not sure it makes for a good beginner's guitar, esp if he's gonna upgrade it eventually.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
in theory, better amp but that is in theory. my main guitar is worth more than the amp i use the most (88 fender strat + deluxe through peavey valveking 1 x 12) i just found that the VK in combination with that strat gave me the sound i wanted. as long as both guitar and amp are decent then you will get a good tone. no hard and fast rules, i mean what works is what works so never let price be a decider over your ears. i do agree that up to a certain point a "better" amp will give you a good sound even with a mediocre guitar. your sound will always be limited by the weakest link in the chain.
yeah.

any of these generalisations are rules of thumb at best.

and i agree wholeheartedly with the "weakest link" description- i've been saying that for ages. You have to look at the whole picture.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Aegaris
Is it foolish to pay more for your amp than for your guitar? Mesa Boogie 5:25 Amp with SE Paul Reed Smith Single cut used for $500 and upgrading the pups to the higher end PRS ones for $120 per. So my amp would be $1500 and my guitar would be about $700. Is that normal? I would like to eventually get a US made PRS...

Edit: added dollar signs

I'm pretty much the opposite...

PRS - $2700
G&L - $1400
Blackstar HT-40 - $700

I'm perfectly content with what I have right now.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5