hey folks

I'm currently doing a higher diploma in guitar and am 7 weeks in. One string I keep getting told is I need to improve my strumming. They say I need to strum bigger, stronger and more confidently. Bigger movements and stronger sound.

Have you guys got any hints and tips that can help me out? Like practice routines and advice. Video and web links would be great.

This is mainly for acoustic style strumming and funk. I'm terrible when it comes to funk.

I need to become a better rhythm player!
Last edited by jkielq91 at Jun 8, 2011,
Strum bigger, stronger, and more confidently? They told you exactly what to do already! Strum a wider path, maybe you don't always hit all the strings. Strum stonger to get a full, rich sound. Be confident! No one wants to watch a ninny play music.
Quote by sglover34479
Strum bigger, stronger, and more confidently? They told you exactly what to do already! Strum a wider path, maybe you don't always hit all the strings. Strum stonger to get a full, rich sound. Be confident! No one wants to watch a ninny play music.

but do you have any tips for practising this.
About 80 percent of guitarists have this problem. It's a subconscious thing that guitarist will stay inside the box and not fully express themselves. Yes, It's a ninny disease.
That is why Satriani is so much better than Malmsteen.
Satriani varies his picking attack and phrases whereas Malmsteen just mindlessly shreds.

Look up Tommy Emmanuel. He will serve you well on the Acoustic.

And most importantly: Man up and play loud and proud!
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by seeneyj
About 80 percent of guitarists have this problem. It's a subconscious thing that guitarist will stay inside the box and not fully express themselves. Yes, It's a ninny disease.
That is why Satriani is so much better than Malmsteen.
Satriani varies his picking attack and phrases whereas Malmsteen just mindlessly shreds.

Look up Tommy Emmanuel. He will serve you well on the Acoustic.

And most importantly: Man up and play loud and proud!

aha

yeah quite a few people in my class have this problem it seems. I'm fine with soloing loud and proud, I'm not a shredder of such but I'll show off my lead guitar for all to see.

Thanks for the tips.
One thing I think may be contributing is something I suffer from at times.... which is almost a kind of fear of doing something wrong that sounds terrible....so to counter the fear you play almost apologetically.... as though you are trying to be quiet enough not to make a loud mistake. My first tutor used to tell me to be more confident at strumming.... making me play louder....
Once you do youll find the sound you produce kind of encourages you to continue in a more confident mode....
Its not necessarily bad technique...more like not having enough confidence to go for it.
I was surprised at just how good my acoustic sounded when I attacked the strumming with confidence and enthusiasm....
Im sure other players have experienced something similar....
I agree. But I also think its partly because before this course I was self taught, and when your self taught you dont know about it if your not doing to right, and their is no one there to correct you. Its happened with a few things (connected to my picking hand).