Some time soon, I am planning on building a copy of a Les Paul. I have a couple books on building guitars and I have been researching the subject for around two years now. I am either going to use an ebony fretboard, my version of gibson's open book head stock. I plan on using a Honduran Mahogany body with a figured maple cap, or straight grain cap with figured veneer glued on top.
First question:
Is there a difference between a two-piece mahogany back and a one piece? On a lumber website, a two-piece of honduran is $87.50 for 3/4" x 14" x 21", and a one piece is $101.65 with the same dimensions.
Second:
Where do I get Les Paul plans for nothing that are accurate, or how much should I plan on paying?

More questions to come.
a 2 piece is more readily avaible, since you dont need to rely on 1 tree to be x wide and x long. Look at my Les Paul build, you can barely tell its a 3 piece body untill you actually look at the grain. It'll be the same tone if done properly.
The template thread is good, or you can ask your local music store to quickly trace one.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Thanks. More questions:

1. What capacitors would have the closest resistance to a bumblebee capacitor?

2. What kind of truss rods do gibson put in their Les Paul (R.I.P. the creator who would be 96 today)/ what are the best to use?

3. What is the best nut material to use?

nowa90, are you still working on your Les Paul?
Quote by fg-433s
Thanks. More questions:

1. What capacitors would have the closest resistance to a bumblebee capacitor?

2. What kind of truss rods do gibson put in their Les Paul (R.I.P. the creator who would be 96 today)/ what are the best to use?

3. What is the best nut material to use?

nowa90, are you still working on your Les Paul?

Word your looking for is capacitance. Most guitars use either .022 or .047 nf cap size.

No clue what the original les pauls use, but a double action truss rod tends to be a straight route into the neck and allows adjustment both ways.

Nut material is largely subjective like most things on guitars, but generally tusq (bone) is recommended for solid bridge guitars and graphite plastic whatever it's called is recommended for trems.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Okay.

I looked up what capacitors are used with what pups, (this was a while ago) and it said that for humbuckers (Les Pauls included) .047 and .022 for single coil. Knowing that, why are bumblebees .022mfd?
Oh.

So the bumblebees like they use on the hot mod 55 from Gibson are .047?

What is a good site to get a pre-slotted 24.75" scale ebony fretboard, and fret wire? I've heard of Stewmac, but was wondering if there was a better one.
stewmac won't sell you one.

the only place I know of that sells 24.75 scale necks is warmoth.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Yes I still am, but am waiting to get some mahogany for the neck, and to use my dads bandsaw to make the scarf joint.

Stewmac has 24.56, 25, and 25.5 scale boards, that are awesome. Just settle for one of those scales. 24.75 is actually just the name people use for Gibson scale, when its actually 24.56.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
lmii also has fretboards in whatever scale you'd like. More options then stewmac too I believe, but I don't know what the price difference is.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Next question.

What is a good place to get stains and finishes for my guitar body?