So yeah,

Everybody guitarist knows that sticking an OD pedal in front of a tube amp improves the tone. It's magical! It adds a slight boost while tightening the sound it up, good for metal or solo boosts.

So here's the deal with me: at lower volumes, my amp (Jet City 100w), like a lot of tube amps, sounds fizzy and weak at low volumes, and is somewhat loose.

Throwing my TS-9 in front of it fixes that, but it also boosts the mids, which is a problem for me because my amp is already has a very midrange-based sound, and adding more mids to it makes it sound tinny and snarly like a Marshall JVM, which I really don't care for. Turning the mids down on my amp fixes this, but that makes it to where I'm scooping the mids. And mid-scooping is for fags.

So, what overdrive pedal is there that works the same way as the tube screamer, but doesn't add a significant midrange boost? My budget is unlimited but I would prefer the price to be reasonable. Nowhere over $300.

EDIT: DAMMIT WRONG FORUM! Mods please move this to GG&A. Forgive me, please.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jun 8, 2011,
Wait, it fixes the problem, but you don't want to do it because "it's for fags"?

I hate mid-scooping with a passion. But spending money needlessly is worse than mid-scooping, especially if this is the rare occasion where scooping gets things fixed.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Wait, it fixes the problem, but you don't want to do it because "it's for fags"?

Pretty much.

But also at higher volumes when I just need a slight gain boost for solos without any EQ change. At high volumes for my rhythm tone, my EQ is fairly balanced and my gain is decently high, but really not that high at all. I just need an extra touch of drive for solos.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Pretty much.

But also at higher volumes when I just need a slight gain boost for solos without any EQ change. At high volumes for my rhythm tone, my EQ is fairly balanced and my gain is decently high, but really not that high at all. I just need an extra touch of drive for solos.

There is a difference between scooping out all your mids (like fags) and just cutting them back. Save yourself some money and stop worrying about what other people think. just my .2
So basically you're just asking for a list of every overdrive and boost pedal there is on the market, Because a TS-9 minus the upper-mid spike = every other pedal out there apart from other TS-9 clones.

Sounds like what you want really is a flat boost either from an EQ pedal or something like the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. If you really want to use some of the transistor clipping that an overdrive pedal gives you then you'll want any overdrive pedal at all that offers independant bass and treble tone controls, which will let you smooth out your tone as you see fit. Digitech make a lot of pedals with two or more tone controls.

Bear in mind that guitar is a mids-heavy instrument and mids is where all your definition comes from. Even with a clean and totally flat boost it will still sound like the mids are being increased more than the bass and treble. You can't get both a boosted sound without having a mids-heavy sound. If you don't want your tone to be so dominated by the mids then you'll either have to scoop them on your amp and lose response and sound like an ass or you'll need to find out a way to get the tone you want without a boost pedal. Higher output pickups, higher gain amp, you could try different tubes, whatever.
"scooping you mids is for fags" is not the proper way to think about this...

theres a big difference between scooping your mids at low volumes to make your tone closer to what it would be at a higher volume.. people hate on scooping the mids when the tone well, HAS NO MIDS. and therefore you sound like a huge ass.

if you already have an amp that has strong mids and a ts9, than you can do one of four things.
1. turn the drive to 10 or 11'oclock. on the ts9.( i do this all the time playing in my bedroom)
2 turn your mids down. the mids arent scooped if you amp has so much mids to begin with.
3. get a power attentuator
4. or just play louder

not like you going on stage cranking the amp to the max with the mids scooped.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
You stated in your first post that the TS9 adds mids. So you're not scooping mids if you turn the amp mids down, because the mids are being supplied by the pedal.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.