I hope this is the right place to post this question..

I hear a lot of words thrown around to describe different guitar sounds, like 'loose' and 'tight' for the low end, 'big' or 'small' for the sound in general, and I just don't fully understand it. I understand 'thin' vs. 'full,' but not those others.

So could somebody maybe post some links or something to what they would consider a 'loose' sound and a 'tight' sound in regards to low end, and also links for 'big' and 'small'?


Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
RedWirez Impulses
Loose is when the low end seems like it is not "Defined". Tight is when the low end is there but it is more "Defined". Big means that the sound seems to engulf the imediate area, it sounds "bigger". These are my understanding of the words. Anyone else?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate