Hi all,
ive seen an add for a used les paul. Though I don't want to buy it, ive been wondering if its a fake or not. The seller sells this custom for pretty cheap ($1500) Anyone can help me judge?

Only two screws on the truss rod, and ive seen another picture where you can identify the pickups has a 490t for the bridge and a 496r for the neck. Also, the gibson logo isnt f*cked up so its kind of hard to tell. Hope this dude isnt trying to scam someone or I'll report him

Thanks for the help guys!
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
im not a big les paul guy, so dont take this for fact. but i really dont think i remember the white one having binding around the body.

also ask if those are the original machine heads. because they are definitely not gibson machines.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
It should have a 490R and a 498T pickup. It sounds like the guy wants to get rid of it. My buddy bought a PRS CU22 for $1800 and it retailed for over $3200, It looked "new" when he bought it too. people are desprate to pay bills now and if it ment I had to sell my PRS for $300 and not $1300 to feed my kids I would.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh and ask for a side view of the neck/headstock.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by whyze250f
im not a big les paul guy, so dont take this for fact. but i really dont think i remember the white one having binding around the body.

also ask if those are the original machine heads. because they are definitely not gibson machines.

All customs have binding. It doesnt look to bad. I for some reason want to say most alpine white les pauls have ebony binding. But it looks pretty legit. Id run the serial and wait for more replies before springing on it
Yeah my bad. Its had a 498T in the bridge and a 490R in the neck position
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
If you read the add it says that its a copy. Its been running on ottawa used sites for like 6 months
Fake. Gibson Les Paul Customs have ebony fretboards, not rosewood.

edit: also the center part fo the headstock is too "open" and the bottom of the truss rod cover isn't as curved as it should be.
Last edited by grohl1987 at Jun 8, 2011,
Quote by rox355
If you read the add it says that its a copy. Its been running on ottawa used sites for like 6 months

Ive seen it on ebay about a week ago. you've got a link?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
AmericanParadox............hum you wouldn't happen to be a Strung Out fan?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
AmericanParadox............hum you wouldn't happen to be a Strung Out fan?

Hehe, yep! Been listening to those guys since im 12.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by rox355
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Gibson-les-paul-Custom-W0QQAdIdZ288538665

If he is listing it without saying it is a clone report that asshole for fraud

Oh bingo, thats the same guitar. Well since the add is off eBay and now he's saying its a clone, I won't do anything. However, if I see the add again with the clone word missing, i'll surely report it.

Thanks.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
Hehe, yep! Been listening to those guys since im 12.

Yeah they have been one of my favorites since '96 when I first heard Teenage Suburban Waistland Blues. I actualy saw them like 2 weeks ago with Face to Face. Ripping!!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah they have been one of my favorites since '96 when I first heard Teenage Suburban Waistland Blues. I actualy saw them like 2 weeks ago with Face to Face. Ripping!!!

Yeah man, ive seen them aswell in Montreal. Ive been to their three shows in Quebec over the last three years.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
It looks fake. Gibson Les Paul Customs all have ebony fingerboards, not rosewood. Plus the truss rod cover looks strange.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
White LP's are hideous, thats why its so cheap.
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
fake.

for $1500 you can find a nice standard on the used market. i found a nice 1986 for exactly that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
fake.

for $1500 you can find a nice standard on the used market. i found a nice 1986 for exactly that.

Yeah, im actually saving up for a Les Paul this summer. The problem is, I wanted a white one but the only choice ive got is a studio or a custom. They don't make standard white ones. The money gap is kind of big, haha. Might settle for a black standard one after all...
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
Yeah, im actually saving up for a Les Paul this summer. The problem is, I wanted a white one but the only choice ive got is a studio or a custom. They don't make standard white ones. The money gap is kind of big, haha. Might settle for a black standard one after all...

they never made a white standard? man now that you mention it i think you're right.

i never thought about it.

(re-finish a beat up older ebony standard in white, now that would be sexy.)
Looks fake, the headstock diamond inlay doesnt look right to me. Also would say the fretboard makes me uneasy.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by gregs1020
they never made a white standard? man now that you mention it i think you're right.

Guess i'll settle for a white studio and a black standard. I'll take the pickguard off of the studio and change all the hardware for gold one. I'll also change the black knobs for gold gibson ones.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
I don't know whether or not that one is fake without seeing it more closely, but I bought a damn nice 2002 ebony standard for $1200 USD
Yeah its a fake. Its been cleared out with the link that a guy sent me. Thanks for the help though.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by grohl1987
Fake. Gibson Les Paul Customs have ebony fretboards, not rosewood.

edit: also the center part fo the headstock is too "open" and the bottom of the truss rod cover isn't as curved as it should be.

bingo
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by AmericanParadox
Yeah its a fake. Its been cleared out with the link that a guy sent me. Thanks for the help though.

Man every one you look at is a fake, , Since your budget is in the $1500 range go to a few shops and look for a used Studio or Standard if you realy want a Gibson. I would look for a used PRS maybe a CE 22/24 it will be in your price range and be of much higher quality than any Gibson under $4000.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AmericanParadox
Guess i'll settle for a white studio and a black standard. I'll take the pickguard off of the studio and change all the hardware for gold one. I'll also change the black knobs for gold gibson ones.

gold?

no j/k whatever you like obviously. no love for honey burst huh?

although a ebony (gibson doesn't make "black". ) standard and white studio would be a nice pair, you could score a legit custom for $1800-2000 imo.

and probably never worry about selling it for the same. customs have dropped from what i've seen on the used market. especially the norlin year customs, which i have no problem with. a friend has a norlin custom, and it's an insanely great paul.

good luck whichever way you go.

edit: here let me be a complete dick and post this pic of my 1986 LP Standard.

plays itself. $1500 used a couple months ago.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020

although a ebony (gibson doesn't make "black". ) standard and white studio would be a nice pair, you could score a legit custom for $1800-2000 imo.

I don't understand what you're saying? You mean buying an ebony standard AND an alpine white studio would be a good idea?

And for the custom ones, since im from Canada, they all go around $2500- $3000 used.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Some of the most telltale signs of fake Les Paul Customs are on the neck. Almost all Les Paul Customs have Ebony Fretboards ( very black in color, not brown) Mother of Pearl Inlays ( A lot smoother looking than pearloid with less ripples) and the binding goes over the fret ends. This guitar is a obvious fake.
these chinese forgery-scumbags must be doing their homework
this one is better than most i've seen
here are a couple more dead give-aways (although i have reservations about pointing them out, just in case the factories are reading up on this stuff)

1. truss-rod cover is still wrong. the top screw "bump" is too bulbous
2. tuning machine washers aren't right
3. tuning machines are wrong style
Quote by AmericanParadox
I don't understand what you're saying? You mean buying an ebony standard AND an alpine white studio would be a good idea?

And for the custom ones, since im from Canada, they all go around $2500- $3000 used.

what i'm saying is that for the price of a standard and a studio, you could get a custom.

have you checked the classifieds on thegearpage, rigtalk & mylespaul.com?

also phone every shop within driving range and see if they have any used.

that said, my old standard is just as good, (to my hands, ears, and eyes) as any custom i've ever played.

so if you find the right standard, your "custom gas" may just go away.

i'm just pointing out options, i'm not saying any one option is better than another.

good luck brother, i hope your search winds up with as good of results as mine.

Quote by gregs1020
what i'm saying is that for the price of a standard and a studio, you could get a custom.

have you checked the classifieds on thegearpage, rigtalk & mylespaul.com?

also phone every shop within driving range and see if they have any used.

that said, my old standard is just as good, (to my hands, ears, and eyes) as any custom i've ever played.

so if you find the right standard, your "custom gas" may just go away.

i'm just pointing out options, i'm not saying any one option is better than another.

good luck brother, i hope your search winds up with as good of results as mine.

Well I will probably sell or trade my ESP M-1 to get or finance the studio and for the standard i'll look on the used market.

Thanks for the help buddy and i'll keep you updated as soon as I get my hands on a Les Paul
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by burnboy85
Some of the most telltale signs of fake Les Paul Customs are on the neck. Almost all Les Paul Customs have Ebony Fretboards ( very black in color, not brown) Mother of Pearl Inlays ( A lot smoother looking than pearloid with less ripples) and the binding goes over the fret ends. This guitar is a obvious fake.

Every Les Paul Custom has an ebony fretboard...

Quote by gregs1020

They have made white standards in the past but they're quite rare and generally limited runs. You might find one on ebay every now and again