if a song is in A minor I know you can use A minor to solo over all the chords, but can you also use do the same using the E minor pentatonic scales but resolve on the a notes within them??
Quote by Unreal T
if a song is in A minor I know you can use A minor to solo over all the chords, but can you also use do the same using the E minor pentatonic scales but resolve on the a notes within them??

Well...yes, but why not just play the A minor scale?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
If you play ANY scale over a song in the key of A minor, you will always be playing the A minor scale or the A minor scale with accidentals.

The E minor pentatonic notes are within the scale of A minor. If you use the E minor pentatonic over a progression in A minor, you'll just be playing the A minor scale, nothing more. No accidentals etc.

Also the key determines where the song resolves, not the scale played over it. No matter how hard you try, a song in the key of A minor will always resolve to A.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Unreal T

Well let's look at the difference? What are you actually doing when you play the notes equivalent, but not functioning as Em Pent...

In Am, the notes of the E Pent minor would basically imply upper extensions. The 5 and b7, the 9th, Root and the 11th.

No conflict. But you aren't playing E min pentatonic functionally, you're just playing upper extended voicings in Am. (until the chord changes)

Best,

Sean