Hey UG,

So I'm looking for a new amp...i currently play a Fender Blacktop Strat (great guitar btw) thru a marshall MG10CD with a boss ds-1 and ernie ball wah. I'm looking for something that can play all kinds of rock, classic, funk, punk, into the heavier side but not quite metal. Coheed, Red Hot Chili's, Led Zepp, and Iron Maiden are a few bands. I was looking at a new tube amp, but someone recommended i get a power amp and a cab. Budget is 700 USD or less, and i prefer new. All input is appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by Saworetu at Jun 8, 2011,
Jet City 20 Watt (Can't remember the exact name)
Blackstar HT20
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Haze
Egnater Tweaker
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
You don't say how much you want to spend.

The easy answer is a Marshall 2203, which is basically a JCM 800 reissue. Those are around two grand new just for the head. If you have the cash that is where you likely will want to go.

If that's a little too expensive, you can perhaps try an ENGL Screamer Series ($1299 for the head alone), which will give you all the beef you need for Maiden and Zep, but the cleans are merely okay. The best cleans for the Chili Peppers type riffing is a Fender DRRI, a Hughes and Kettner Statesman and a Vox AC15C1 or an AC30. The H&K's crunch, though, really needs a pedal to boost it, but the price is very good, too, and it has the best cleans of any amp anywhere imho. The DRRI is pretty much a classic rock type amp, so anything heavier you need the Engl, the Marshall or a Mesa Dual Rectifier.
@CrawlingHorror, TS said he had a budget of < 700 USD.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Egnater Rebel 20 or 30, the 30 has two channels so those clean RHCP tones can be had alongside some mean classic gain.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...