Page 1 of 3
So, I'm a amateur guitar player/enthusiast for years. Never owned an amp, only had a decent distortion pedal which I connect to a dj mixer ( ), with a ts to double mono ts cable. I can even adjust the sound with the eq on the mixer...
All this running through a pa amp to my trusted Alesis monitors.

I've always loved it, totally satisfied. Replaced the humbuckers to JB's and the old MT2 by a MXR Fullbore Metal recently, but basically same thing.

Am I missing something here? Why is everyone so into "amp modelling" these days? Have all of you played these special amps so you know their typical characteristics? To me it all sounds like subtle nuances in distortion/overdrive. Sorry if I offend.

Love to be enlightened.
The good ones like the Axe FX let you get close to or nail the tone of several different amps. Instead of buying a bunch of different amps, you can buy one rack unit and have a wide variety of tones.
It's more useful for studios, session musicians, or anyone who needs a wide array of tones, but doesn't want to cart around 20 amps and cabs.
All that I know is I'm never getting a modeling amp again. I heard they don't take pedals to well and who needs a modeling amp when you could get a mfx unit with the amps inside.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
My friend has one and it sounds awesome. Tosin Abasi even used one to record I heard as he liked the tones :p
It's really just because good tones can come from modellers for little money. Not everyone can afford to go out and buy a JCM, Dual Rec, and a VHT to get their tones.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by darkwolf291
They don't take distortions and the like too well, but wah and stuff go fine with then in my experience.

Does a cube 15x take mfx unit well?
Quote by JagerSlushy
It's really just because good tones can come from modellers for little money. Not everyone can afford to go out and buy a JCM, Dual Rec, and a VHT to get their tones.

+1
Some one who gets why.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by kutless999
All that I know is I'm never getting a modeling amp again. I heard they don't take pedals to well and who needs a modeling amp when you could get a mfx unit with the amps inside.

Um, someone who can get a modeler that doesn't actually need pedals *cough*Axe-FX*cough* And they honestly usually take most pedals fine (spiders need not apply to this category, they're terrible)

Modeling is really just computer simulations of other amps. They're quite useful if you need a whole ****load of tones and don't have the space/money for a bunch of tube/analog SS amps. Considering an Axe-FX plus a decent power amp and cab has more than enough versatility for nearly everything, for less than what it would most likely cost for a number of tube amps that it provides.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 8, 2011,
Quote by oneblackened
Um, someone who can get a modeler that doesn't actually need pedals *cough*Axe-FX*cough* And they honestly usually take most pedals fine (spiders need not apply to this category, they're terrible)

Modeling is really just computer simulations of other amps. They're quite useful if you need a whole ****load of tones and don't have the space/money for a bunch of tube/analog SS amps. Considering an Axe-FX plus a decent power amp and cab has more than enough versatility for nearly everything, for less than what it would most likely cost for a number of tube amps that it provides.

Would a cube 15x take an rp355 well?
Because if you don't have much money and just want a practice amp at home with a lot of different decent sounds then a decent modelling amp is a pretty good choice. Some are crap but you get some cheap nice ones like the vox valvetronix series and the roland cubes.

Then the really high end stuff like the axe fx is good for studio use or just people who want loads of different options for sound.
Quote by kutless999
Would a cube 15x take an rp355 well?

provided you aren't using time based effects on the RP355, it should work fine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm not a fan of modeling amps. From what I can hear they steal so much from a guitar's natural tone. Modeled effects are okay (some sound to digital though) but for modeling amps and cabs...ehhhh not so much.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Quote by Darth_jacob22
I'm not a fan of modeling amps. From what I can hear they steal so much from a guitar's natural tone. Modeled effects are okay (some sound to digital though) but for modeling amps and cabs...ehhhh not so much.

clearly you've never tried a good modeler/modeling program/plugin. I honestly can't tell the difference between the Revalver Mk. III.V 6505+ and my 6505+. They're that similar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
clearly you've never tried a good modeler/modeling program/plugin. I honestly can't tell the difference between the Revalver Mk. III.V 6505+ and my 6505+. They're that similar.

I'm not convinced on the "amazingness" of modeling amps. A few neighbors have some high end modelers (such as the Revalver) and I'm still not convinced (and these guys and gals worship these amps).

If they're for you than thats great, but they're simply not for me.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Last edited by Darth_jacob22 at Jun 8, 2011,
Quote by Darth_jacob22
I'm not convinced on the "amazingness" of modeling amps. A few neighbors have some high end modelers (such as the Revalver) and I'm still not convinced (and these guys and gals worship these amps).

If they're for you than thats great, but they're simply not for me.

They're probably just shit at eqing them
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
i will take my dozen or so tube heads and dozen or so cabs that i have in my studio, and if need be haul two heads to a gig with one or two cabs, i will do that. no modeling BS for me. thats just my opinion though. take it for what its worth.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by oneblackened

I agree to that... the ReValver Mk 3 is one of the more powerful modeling software on the market right now.

TS, I know you're happy with your tone, but at least do try to check out and try something like the Vox VT, Peavey Vypyr, Line 6 Pod HD.

Or if you wanna use a computer, try the ReValver or Guitar Rig.

Any of these will be able to model the tones of most amps fairly accurately. True that they do rob some dynamics, nuances and feel from your playing, but the returns in terms of tonal accuracy is usually work the sacrifice.

Bottomline: if you don't know if the modelers are good, go try one and decide for yourself.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
All of the recordings on my profile are done with PodFarm, and the most recent with PodFarm 2.5 because it's much easier than micing up one of my amps at 11pm at night. I think they sound fine
i like my modelling amp, and it goes well with a slight overdrive from my screamin blues but it doesn't really get along with my little big muff sadly.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by ragingkitty
I agree to that... the ReValver Mk 3 is one of the more powerful modeling software on the market right now.

TS, I know you're happy with your tone, but at least do try to check out and try something like the Vox VT, Peavey Vypyr, Line 6 Pod HD.

Or if you wanna use a computer, try the ReValver or Guitar Rig.

Any of these will be able to model the tones of most amps fairly accurately. True that they do rob some dynamics, nuances and feel from your playing, but the returns in terms of tonal accuracy is usually work the sacrifice.

Bottomline: if you don't know if the modelers are good, go try one and decide for yourself.

I have 3.5. It's got a Diezel Herbert Model. Awesome stuff.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Darth_jacob22

Play a Line 6 Vetta, then say that again...

Cheap modelers, sure, are pretty terrible, but the higher-end stuff actually intended for musicians and not for bedroom kids? Hell, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68y1gjEHiBM
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ that's awesome!

My Vypyr haz a diezel model 2
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play983752

I had a vypyr, but I realized I really didn't need all those tones.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I know. I still suck at that

If I could tighten that up it would sound riotous.

To be fair i suppose it's only a tone demo thing and the tone is really good for a vypry :O And tbh with double tracking i find it hard to do anything like that without a drummer. Like, i find it way harder to play anything in time properly to a click track, it has to be at least a drum machine sound or something.
Quote by Raijouta
Play a Line 6 Vetta, then say that again...

Cheap modelers, sure, are pretty terrible, but the higher-end stuff actually intended for musicians and not for bedroom kids? Hell, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68y1gjEHiBM

That is surreal... and honestly the AxeFX still tricks me into thinking I'm hearing a tube amp rather than a modeller.

Hey 311, I heard your clips in the last NAD... hmm... that makes it so tempting to get a Vypyr just for the heck of getting one haha.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Until it breaks.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by ragingkitty
That is surreal... and honestly the AxeFX still tricks me into thinking I'm hearing a tube amp rather than a modeller.

Hey 311, I heard your clips in the last NAD... hmm... that makes it so tempting to get a Vypyr just for the heck of getting one haha.

Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment (tonally).
Quote by Pat_s1t
^ I'll buy another one

Axe FX 2
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by darkwolf291
They don't take distortions and the like too well, but wah and stuff go fine with then in my experience.

+1

It also has to do with budget you get a lot of value out of something like a Vox Valvetronix amp VT20/40+ has the same amp models as the Valvetronix ST.

Matter of fact the controls are almost identical.

The only difference is the expression pedal on the tonelabl is more flexible than a separate wah.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Zoot Allures
I've never heard any axe fx clip that i've thought sounded particuarly good tbh, the violin one is cool but i'm talking about more 'generic' stuff i suppose, a typical crunchy distortion for instance.

Brootz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5gry9SYPcE

Cleans to low gain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZuy_uC82BQ

Brian May: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0FDLPqcgd4&feature=related

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

They're all in pretty poor quality tbh, webcam mics or similar. I'd like to hear a properly miced up demo , i did hear one earlier somewhere and i wasn't impressed, some of those sound alright but it's hard to tell due to the recordings not being very good.
Page 1 of 3