Hey guys, I've had some David Gilmour single-coli EMGs that I recently dropped into an American Strat. Now I currently have the battery under the pickguard in the pot cavity in the body, but the battery has finally ran out and I have to switch it... I'm wondering if anyone has a neat way of allowing access to the battery without doing something drastic to the guitar. I've tried fitting the battery in the tremolo claw cavity, and I thought about making a hole in the pickguard or trying to fit the battery in the input jack cavity, or as a last resort, route a hole in the back of the guitar (which I don't really want to do, but eh...). I have a little battery holder case thing that I was originally going to route into the back of an old MIM strat to allow easy access to the battery, but I ended up getting the Am. strat and I'm hesitant to take a tool to it... Any ideas?
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Maybe just tape it to the guitar? i know it sound retarded, but until you come up with something better, maybe that would just be easiest.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You could route a hole for a battery box in the pickguard.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

thanks for the responses guys... for a while I did have the battery taped to the outside of the pickguard, and then I had it in the trem claw cavity (although it rendered the trem useless)... I also thought of putting the battery box in a hole in the pickguard, but it'd look kind of weird. I'm liking the one with the special hole in the trem cavity that jj posted... I just have to balls up and do it and hopefully not do any collateral damage to the guitar =P
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Quote by cheeekens
thanks for the responses guys... for a while I did have the battery taped to the outside of the pickguard, and then I had it in the trem claw cavity (although it rendered the trem useless)... I also thought of putting the battery box in a hole in the pickguard, but it'd look kind of weird. I'm liking the one with the special hole in the trem cavity that jj posted... I just have to balls up and do it and hopefully not do any collateral damage to the guitar =P

Since this is an American strat, I would take it to a local guitar shop/tech and see if they can do it for you. Or if you're tight on cash, ask for some tips on how to do it.
You might regret doing it yourself if you manage to damage the guitar just for a battery route.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Yeah I'll probably take it to a shop once I have some more cash... I'm in between jobs right now so I'm not going to have a steady income for about 2 months...
^ Yeah, it'll be best to wait it out til you have the cash. In the meantime, just replace the battery like you've done in the past. And when the time comes, take the guitar to your local shop and have the routing done.
Best to be safe than sorry.
What's wrong with having it under the pickguard? You only need to change batteries every 9 months to a year... it's not like you need constant access to it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What's wrong with having it under the pickguard? You only need to change batteries every 9 months to a year... it's not like you need constant access to it.

Well for starters, If the battery starts to die a little after he puts a fresh set of strings on, he'd have to take out the pickguard to change the battery. Meaning he'd have to take off the strings or loosen them so much they might as well be off the guitar.
All that can be avoided by having an easy access compartment for the battery.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Well for starters, If the battery starts to die a little after he puts a fresh set of strings on, he'd have to take out the pickguard to change the battery. Meaning he'd have to take off the strings or loosen them so much they might as well be off the guitar.
All that can be avoided by having an easy access compartment for the battery.

True, but if you change your strings on a regular basis, you can guesstimate when you need to change your battery, and then just do it during the closest string change. I just don't see how you can justify routing into an American Strat for something so trivial. It's like a 2 minute process, even if you have to take off your whole pickguard.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
True, but if you change your strings on a regular basis, you can guesstimate when you need to change your battery, and then just do it during the closest string change. I just don't see how you can justify routing into an American Strat for something so trivial. It's like a 2 minute process, even if you have to take off your whole pickguard.

i kind of agree.
and i dont know if i would route out my strat.

but i also kind of hate taking off my pickguards a lot.

the screws can strip, wires can twist a little, and i'm always worried about a stray scratch from a screwdriver.

that sort of thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah it's just a pain to relax all the strings (or take off all the strings) so I can take off the pickguard to access the battery; because I have a trem bridge, messing with all the strings at once sends the trem bridge out of stability and I also have to re-adjust my neck a little. It's not like when I change strings one by one (which more or less helps maintain the stability of the trem bridge and the neck tension). This past time I just relaxed the strings enough to where I can lift the pickguard enough to reach in for the battery. That in itself took less than 5 min, but readjusting the trem bridge and neck took about another half hour and I'm still tweaking it because it's not quite like I had it set up last time. Once I have the neck and bridge set to a certain tension that I like, I don't like to mess around with it, which is why I would want to find another way to store the battery... but I agree, I don't really like to do any irreversible mods to a guitar.... I'm even tempted to just go with passive pickups...
^ so an hour process tops. Not really a big deal. You're only changing the battery once... maybe twice every now and then a year. Chances are on that infrequent a basis, you'd have to do all that for some other reason anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X