Good evening. I listen to a lot of metal, specifically Nevermore, and I know Jeff Loomis uses the harmonic minor and diminished scale/locrian mode a lot. I have been incorporating them into my playing, but I may need some more ideas. I use nat/harm/mel minor, diminished/Locrian, blues and phrygian scales most often when making heavier music. Are there other scales out there I could learn that sound sad/evil? Or perhaps certain key modulations that would sound well in context to the scales? Anything would be greatly appreciated. P.S. A lot of the metal music I've been making would be band music with a singer, so too many crazy modulations might be a challenge for a vocalist.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
If you're already using the scales that your favourite guitarist uses and can't get the same sound, it's quite obvious it's not the scale that's the problem, but the note choice you're using. Try to think more about the music you're creating instead charging through random patterns on the fretboard.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well I have probably 1/900 the talent of Loomis, and the stuff I'm using is working for me quite well so far. I'm just looking for a little bit more to add to my repertoire.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Hungarian minor sounds pretty evilish
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Indeed, Hungarian is good.

I find that to get that tension, it is all about the right altered notes at the right time.

In theory, tritones and chromatics can add an evil or sad flavor, but it can be cliched if you don't experiment enough.

Just experiment with throwing some odd, out of place notes in key places, and you should develop the sound you need.

You've already mentioned a lot of the scales I would suggest, Locrian and Harmonic minor. But
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Last edited by warlockking at Jun 9, 2011,