Found a set of '79 Super Distortion pups on craigslist for $80. Is this a decent deal? Also, I'm gonna read reviews and stuff, but just wondering--just how SUPER high output are they? I am gonna be wanting to play clean stuff, though I do like my sparkle to have a bit of bit to it . And they'll be tapped, which should help with the cleans.

But yeah, I'm not seeing a lot of 79's being sold as a set, so I don't have much to compare it with. Is $80 a good price?
I have a set that is right about the same year. they were super high out put 30 yrs ago, and are still considered a hot pu. Yes you can get hotter. If they are all working then $80 sounds like a so so deal. you can get them new for @120 set.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok, but is there any advantage to having the vintage pups as opposed to a new set that would make them more valuable?
Quote by speeddemon93
Ok, but is there any advantage to having the vintage pups as opposed to a new set that would make them more valuable?

Not unless some of the materals have been changed over the yearsit should sound close. you have to under stand that a 30yr old pick up is not gonna have the same output as a new one the magnet has lost some of its caracteristics ( some for the better, some for the worse)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not unless some of the materals have been changed over the yearsit should sound close. you have to under stand that a 30yr old pick up is not gonna have the same output as a new one the magnet has lost some of its caracteristics ( some for the better, some for the worse)

I see, thanks! So they actually drop in output over time? That wouldn't be bad for me, I'm really looking for a more versatile, yet fairly high gain pup. If they've dropped a bit, it might be nice . Thanks for the help guys!
Owned a super D (new one) for about 5 months and sold it cause it wasn't as versatile as I hoped. The cleans are really twangy, and the highs are kind of thin and shrill cause it favors more of the mid and bass eq. I eventually replaced it with and x2n and made a great improvement for both clean and distortion IMO. Oh yeah i was using a mahogany body maple neck axe.
A hefty ceramic magnet like the Super Distortion uses isn't really going to change much over time, certainly not as much as an Alnico magnet.

It's a loud pickup, outputs over 400mv which is still damned hot even by modern standards, after the X2N i think it's still the hottest pickup Dimarzio make. I have a 30 year old guitar with a pair of Super Distortions in it, great pickup but not all that good for clean tones. I'd say wire them with a series/parallel switch if possible rather than a coil split, however the older ones only had 2 conductor wiring in which case you may not have those options available to you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com