Im going to start giving private guitar tuition soon. Its something Ive always been interested in and Ill be using the teaching as an aspect in my college course (HNC in Music, a Scottish qualification), so I gotta jump into the deep end quite quickly or else Ill likely fail my course.

Im looking for general advice/tips for a guitar teacher starting out - anything that you think might help.

Im considering teaching from my bedroom (where I have my amps, guitars, computer/printer and relevant books/resources, but not a lot of space) but getting a room elsewhere (perhaps in college or a rehearsal studio) could be an option - opinions?
Also, any tips on finding students? Im going to try rope in a few mates (some of whom have asked for lessons in the past (one or two will mostly be doing me a favour, helping me pass my course - they'll learn weather they want to or not, lol)) but that is obviously not a good way of finding students in the longer term.

A thousand thanks in advance,
Bryce

Edit- Would this thread be better placed in MT or Guitar Techniques?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jun 8, 2011,
Should be fine here i'd say.

I think you should avoid the bedroom teacher thing, most people would disregard that as unprofessional. You should probably see what you can do about getting a room with your college, or something else as you said.

As far as GETTING students, advertising. Theres no magic trick

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Hmm, yeah the guitar teacher Ive been going to recently (who charges more per hour than I would dare to - if a student came to me who was pretty advanced already I would give him my teachers phone number) has a smallish room in his house (a guitarists paradise) which is solely for teaching and his practising which works well, but I admit it would seem a lot less professional if it was also the room where he kept his bed.

I see ads for teachers on Gumtree so Ill see about advertising there.
Yeah , the guy probably makes a decent bit off of it then, or he just has that for practice purposes, so it doubles as a teaching area. If you could score a place like that, you'd be set.

Yep, do that. Advertising is key.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Yeah if I decide to pursue teaching as a full time career I wanna end up where he is. He works for Yamaha (composes and plays on their guitar/bass/drum encounters coursebooks) and Rockschool as an examiner. He doesnt need the money from private tuition (or so he says - doesnt stop him charging more than most), he just likes seeing students progress.

edut - Dont want this thread to get too bogged down in my specific questions though - still looking for more general teaching advice or whatever.
one thing is who are you going to teach to. i was doing a little bit of teaching for a while, word of mouth, in my studio. i learned real quick that i do not have the patience for pretty much anybody under the age of 10 or so. so as time progressed, i opted not to take students under the age of 10. at my peak i had five students, that were around the
11-15 age range, that took it seriously for the most part.

but again i am one of those people that doesn't like wasting time, so if i feel somebody wasnt doing their job as a student and practicing, i would warn them, then if it didn't get better, tell their parents, then drop them.

i may have been kinda an a**hole, but i didn't really need the extra money and was doing it for myself, because you learn through teaching other people.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/