so what the **** do i do? i dont have an FX loop cause my shitty amp doesnt have one. What do i do guys? I bought the looper to improve my technique and abilities, but whenever i solo over a rhythm my solo takes over the loop and you cant hear it like the solo cuts it away then when i stop playing the loop goes to normal.

EDIT: i also turned my ISP off to see if that had anything to do with it and it didnt.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Jun 8, 2011,
I had the same problem with mine. If I remember correctly, doing every clean worked fairly well and turning the volume on the loop way down helped some.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
I don't get it. I've had two loopers and used them both a lot with no effects loop with no issues. I don't understand. Is the looper last in your chain?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
yes i put it last after my ISP decimater. I tried doing rainbow in the dark rhythm then loop it then i tried playing over the solo and i couldnt hear the backing guitar part...which thats the point is your supposed to hear both parts.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Record with the loop volume almost all the way down... Then turn it up. If you record with the volume up you don't have much room to increase it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
nope no dice. still the same thing i cant get a balance between the 2. with it down all you hear is my solo with it up you hears rhythm with it middle you hear it go in and out like some bad wires, its nasty.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Wow, very odd. What looper? With your Vox VT50? Are you using a lot of gain? What makes you think its an effects loop issue?

You do get what I'm saying right? When you record, wherever the volume is set becomes the level you record at. Record with it low and you have more room to raise the volume, record with it high and you have more room to lower it... Surely there's a sweet spot?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 8, 2011,
well yeah im recording with gain. i want to solo over it.

btw its a digitech jamman solo
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Jun 8, 2011,
try putting your tubescreamer before the looper. then record the rhythm without the ts on. then solo with it on
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
As you've figured out you can't do it. The solution is to mic the amp into the looper and run the output of the looper into a PA. Or maybe your home stereo. Running a looper before distortion will result in a muddy mess.

The only other option is to restrict yourself to a clean amp and use pedals before the looper for distortion and FX. Reverb is about the only thing that works well after the looper.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 9, 2011,
Yeah i had this issue with my looper when i was using distortion.

Only way around it is the FX loop, or a different amp, if your looper allows for this.
I had a JamMan before, though it was one of the older ones. Like someone said above, have the JamMan last in the chain, so you can record a clean backing track, then switch on an overdrive pedal for a solo with gain. It worked for me. Whether or not you have an FX loop doesn't matter
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
^my jamman is last in my chain after all my eq and overdrive pedal and everything. So i'm gonna try the other suggestions on here and if that doesnt work. well i dont know. and thank you larson i know.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
^my jamman is last in my chain after all my eq and overdrive pedal and everything. So i'm gonna try the other suggestions on here and if that doesnt work.
As long as your amp is clean and the looper is last, you'll be fine. The clips Sneaky, El Loco, and Unsynced Jam in my profile were done with a looper.
Fly, the problem still is that i wanna do a distortion rhythm and a distortion lead. But that obviously wont work because when i do that the lead literally cuts out the rhythm and you cant hear it. Then after i stop playing you can hear the rhythm again. IT is the last thing in the chain. it couldnt be anymore last.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Where are you getting your distortion from? If it's from the amp then the problem is that it won't work. If the distortion is coming from the amp then it's possible the lead will kill the rhythm.
yes its coming from my amp boosted by a TS because my amp blows dick.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Well if you want variable amounts of Dirt from loops you NEED to be getting it from the pedlz.
or you can set the amp to a passable rhythm tone, then when it comes time to solo turn on the TS
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
yes its coming from my amp boosted by a TS because my amp blows dick.
if you look at my previous post, I said the amp must be clean.
^ yeah i think i got it covered i got it to where its barely passes for like a mild thrash rhythm enough for me to solo over, then i turn the tubescreamer to hot mode and it works. Its ****ing hard to do what marty does the first couple times you try XD
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by fly135
Where are you getting your distortion from? If it's from the amp then the problem is that it won't work. If the distortion is coming from the amp then it's possible the lead will kill the rhythm.

this.

Record yourself playing two notes together. Then record the two notes separate. When they both come from the guitar they get squashed together and clash in a way, notice when recorded separate they sound cleaner in a way, even when distorted. To the amp with the looper in front, it's like you're playing the rhythm AND the lead part at the same time. When it's in the FXloop, they're separated.

That's the best I can explain it.
I get it now man thanks thats pretty good explanation of it.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator