everyone grab your brooms!

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/axl-marquee-mjz-electric-guitar/h73832000002000

Ive seen these guitars all over the internet with very poor reviews. Is it true these are built in California? If so, are they decent guitars?

I need a cheap guitar to mod the **** out of. And if these are decent, i might get one. anyone have any experience with them?
wow if that doesn't completely suck, winsauce.

one piece alder body, rock maple neck.

could be a good platform to mod from.

california indonesia? lol
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
No they are not buit in the USA more like China, Korea if your lucky. I have only played 2 AXL guitars and I was not impressed. the pickups suck, the tuners suck, the neck profile sucked. It made me never care if I ever came across another one or not. The ones I played I don't think were even worth modding, unless you just want to.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gregs1020

california indonesia? lol

I think i saw thought on google maps once..

and to Rob: Yea I thought they were chinese made.. But even there website says theyre usa made. I r confuzzled.
Wow, why is everyone so obsessed with American made? Sure if your intent is to prop up the economy with patriotism go ahead but just know crap guitars are made ALL OVER THE WORLD. But so are good guitars.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by nickdohle
I think i saw thought on google maps once..

and to Rob: Yea I thought they were chinese made.. But even there website says theyre usa made. I r confuzzled.

they are set up in the usa like the epiphones maybe, but I will give you my PRS if those are made in the USA. I'll shit you a Bogner Uberschall too!!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No they are not buit in the USA more like China, Korea if your lucky. I have only played 2 AXL guitars and I was not impressed. the pickups suck, the tuners suck, the neck profile sucked. It made me never care if I ever came across another one or not. The ones I played I don't think were even worth modding, unless you just want to.

Might I ask the question, how can a neck profile suck when neck profile is a completely subjective thing?
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Maybe they're made in Baja California, in a sweat shop by elderly people and toddlers.
Quote by Twistedrock
Might I ask the question, how can a neck profile suck when neck profile is a completely subjective thing?

If it's inconsistent I would say the neck profile sucks. Other than that, yes, the profile is subjective.
Wow, why is everyone so obsessed with American made? Sure if your intent is to prop up the economy with patriotism go ahead but just know crap guitars are made ALL OVER THE WORLD. But so are good guitars.

Because American made instruments cost more labor-wise and companies don't want a shit 500$guitar so they make the expensive, but awesome 1500$ ones in the states. The ones made in china are the factory, machine, assembly line made, and 99% worse quality.

No one expects a shit guitar from the states, it doesnt make sense economically
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2010 Fender Highway One strat
2010 Epi Les Paul Standard
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2011 Epiphone Korina Firebird
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
i could make a guitar in my backyard (living in CA btw)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Seref
Maybe they're made in Baja California, in a sweat shop by elderly people and toddlers.

no they say USA in the ad actually. Hayward California on the web site.
It says Hand assembled not made so they order Chinese parts and asemble them in Ca. That is a far cry from being a USA made guitar.

And yes some US guitars suck, but USA made guitars are THE most sought after guitars in the world. And it is not because of there really cheap price. It is because of Quality and attention to detail. People are shelling out $4000 in other countries for a PRS CU22/24 that may cost only $2400 in the US.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by joshmckinnon
Because American made instruments cost more labor-wise and companies don't want a shit 500$guitar so they make the expensive, but awesome 1500$ ones in the states. The ones made in china are the factory, machine, assembly line made, and 99% worse quality.

There's not a whole lot of supporting information in that. While I would agree generally guitars from China are likely to be pretty poor quality I'm sure their are skilled Chinese luthiers and plants in China that put out good guitars. Generalisation based on where it originated is retarded and all instruments should be taken on their own merits otherwise it's pretty much nothing other than a form of racism.

That said I would be cautious buying guitars I hadn't played knowing they'd been built in China or Indonesia.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by nitestick
There's not a whole lot of supporting information in that. While I would agree generally guitars from China are likely to be pretty poor quality I'm sure their are skilled Chinese luthiers and plants in China that put out good guitars. Generalisation based on where it originated is retarded and all instruments should be taken on their own merits otherwise it's pretty much nothing other than a form of racism.

That said I would be cautious buying guitars I hadn't played knowing they'd been built in China or Indonesia.

Notice I did say that not all american guitars are good, but as a whole the US made guitars are better. better wood, better electronics,ect. Of corse there are great luthier around the world but as a whole the US winns sorry if you don't agree, but I think that 99% of UG'ers would agree. the only country that even comes close is Japan.
If you want I'll start a list
PRS
Gibson
Guild
Fender
G&L
Jackson
Taylor
Martin
Takamine
Carvin
Music Man
Dean (although this is subjetive!)
Lackland
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
And now your turn?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by joshmckinnon

This is true
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by nitestick
Generalisation based on where it originated is retarded and all instruments should be taken on their own merits otherwise it's pretty much nothing other than a form of racism.

Your point about generalizations is good but I fail to see how this is racist. Its essentially economics. China is good at mass producing low cost products. They have a lower labor cost and are less regulated. You could substitute China with any developing country here. No one is saying that the workers are bad at what they do. They are simply trained to make guitars quickly and cheaply. They are most likely building the guitars to a spec handed down and approved by a USA company.
Quote by philwhite
Your point about generalizations is good but I fail to see how this is racist. Its essentially economics. China is good at mass producing low cost products. They have a lower labor cost and are less regulated. You could substitute China with any developing country here. No one is saying that the workers are bad at what they do. They are simply trained to make guitars quickly and cheaply. They are most likely building the guitars to a spec handed down and approved by a USA company.

I thought this might come up :p racist wasn't exactly the word I was looking for but I typed this hurriedly while slacking off at work lol. Basically I meant people treat in a fashion similar to racism by discriminating solely based on where the guitar came from. I'll be honest I don't have even a mid range electric guitar at the moment but my Epiphone Les Paul Junior from Indonesia has served me well. The geographical region doesn't have much to do with it and in fact you can get decent guitars out of factories that mass produce on an epic scale, I just wouldn't count on it as a given and if I was in the market for something good (which I am now) I'd probably look elsewhere.

The biggest sticking point in my humble opinion is quality control. The whole idea of mass production is to produce decent quality on a large scale for economic benefit. It falls over due to a lack of prudence in quality control and a lot of bad examples will get through. Quality control is not an issue on handmade guitars etc because it's a given that the craftsmen will take ample time to make sure each item is good as opposed to the batch inspection in mass production

TL;DR: You can get good mass produced guitars but not brilliant ones. Not all USA made guitars will be good either as they are not all 100% hand made. This was all just a rant because people seem to think US guitars are made by God* himself.

*Just kidding, there is no god.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
Last edited by nitestick at Jun 9, 2011,
Jesus this thread has nothing to do with what i intended. lol. Has anyone here played this guitar!?!?
Quote by nitestick
This was all just a rant because people seem to think they were made by God* himself.*Just kidding, there is no god.

Dang I swear God made my Goldtop. :P
Quote by nickdohle
Jesus this thread has nothing to do with what i intended. lol. Has anyone here played this guitar!?!?

i know right?

anyway, on paper the one piece body, rock maple neck etc. all look pretty good.

Quote by nickdohle

My apologies for the hijack, 'twas most rude of I.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by nitestick
My apologies for the hijack, 'twas most rude of I.

haha no worries. Its fine. I should of known posting this would of brought the subject up. I just thought it was a little unrealistic to have a sub $500 american made guitar thats not a melody maker.

But yea Greg, It looks fantastic on paper. Ill have to go down to GC and check one out. The bad water series are really ugly, and Ive never seen anyone or anywhere carry them. I thought those were the only guitars Axl made until tonight

The only way I can see it priced for so low is for either illegal labor (it is cali) or really poor wood.
Quote by nickdohle
haha no worries. Its fine. I should of known posting this would of brought the subject up. I just thought it was a little unrealistic to have a sub $500 american made guitar thats not a melody maker.

But yea Greg, It looks fantastic on paper. Ill have to go down to GC and check one out. The bad water series are really ugly, and Ive never seen anyone or anywhere carry them. I thought those were the only guitars Axl made until tonight

The only way I can see it priced for so low is for either illegal labor (it is cali) or really poor wood.

I repeat the are NOT MADE IT THE USA!!!!!!! They are assembled in the USA by parts made overseas, therefore this is not made in USA. Wether it is assembled in the US or China it is made of lower grade parts.
Like I said before I tryed one didn't like it. This doesn't meen that you will hate it or love it. Try it yourself to make sure.
But just so you know don't expect an awesome guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Twistedrock
Barbed-wire neck. Only for the most hardcore of blues-players with barbed-wire strings.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Barbed-wire neck. Only for the most hardcore of blues-players with barbed-wire strings.

Dang, I need one of those on my 15-string cuntchopping-axegrinding-nunslaying battle guitar.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Robbgnarly
It says Hand assembled not made so they order Chinese parts and asemble them in Ca. That is a far cry from being a USA made guitar.

+1

also the one on the MF site isn't even the ones on the axl website which claim to be in the USA series.

jeez does nobody check anything?

Quote by philwhite

+1

Quote by Robbgnarly
I repeat the are NOT MADE IT THE USA!!!!!!! They are assembled in the USA by parts made overseas, therefore this is not made in USA. Wether it is assembled in the US or China it is made of lower grade parts.

+1

i mean heck if i disassemble one of my bolt-on guitars and put it back together can i say it was made in northern ireland?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 9, 2011,
i believe you were looking for the word discrimination, not racist :P try it out. If you like the neck on it, get it if you planning on modding it out anyways