these words
a pile of horseshit
like the rest
nothing matters
save love
I want Super Saiyan abilities
I can't think of any way this could possibly be a haiku. It would at least have to have a total of 17 syllables (then you could divide the lines accordingly), but this has 16. Also, a haiku is as such:

line 1 = 5 syllables
line 2 = 7 syllables
line 3 = 5 syllables

Technically it should be five, seven, and then five moras , but outside of Japan the convention is to measure in syllables.
edit: haha, i need to stay out of the oven when I post here. counted pile as 2. call it a poor man's Haiku
Last edited by rebelmidget at Jun 9, 2011,
Also a haiku is usually about nature
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Just thought I'd share a Haiku I wrote.

I want to end it
There is nothing in my life
My end comes today.

And another:

Motorhead are good
Lemmy can not sing well though
But he's good at bass.

haiku is just a word.

17 syllables. the rest is whatever.

if you still think there are rules to this game you're wrong.
I disagree that there are no rules. There are rules; the question is whether there are consequences for breaking them. Haiku is meant to be a very formal style of poetics, like sonnet or drottkvaett. Part of its formality is the rigidity of the form's rules.

That said, one of the rules of haiku is the use of the Japanese language, so if you're breaking one, you may as well break the others. The good news is that the only consequence to you is a conversation on an Internet forum.

peace
"supposed to be". supposed by who? one reason most people aren't into poetry is the loads and loads of pretense surrounding it, pretense which is promoted ceaselessly by some of it's supporters and practitioners. I write words sometimes, I wrote these ones wrong because I got high. what do you call a 17 syllable poem? idk, haiku? sounds good to me.

nothing is good or bad, right or wrong.
everything that exists is subject to your perspective, and as long as all perspectives differ there can be no universal truth. no right way and also no wrong way.
murder is only wrong because most people think so. logic is a defense mechanism we all agree on. everything is choice and nothing is sacred.

i'll stop now.
stay grey.
Quote by rebelmidget
"supposed to be". supposed by who? one reason most people aren't into poetry is the loads and loads of pretense surrounding it, pretense which is promoted ceaselessly by some of it's supporters and practitioners. I write words sometimes, I wrote these ones wrong because I got high. what do you call a 17 syllable poem? idk, haiku? sounds good to me.

nothing is good or bad, right or wrong.
everything that exists is subject to your perspective, and as long as all perspectives differ there can be no universal truth. no right way and also no wrong way.
murder is only wrong because most people think so. logic is a defense mechanism we all agree on. everything is choice and nothing is sacred.

i'll stop now.
stay grey.

No one said you couldn't ignore the "rules"; you can write however you want. But then it's not a haiku. While one of the rules of haiku is the use of Japanese, we've adopted the form in western culture to mean a three line poem with 5, 7, and 5 syllables in the first, second, and third lines respectively. You don't have to follow these "rules", but keep in mind that if you don't that there's no point in calling it a haiku. Here's one to demonstrate.

you wouldn't call a
fridge a book, you'd call it a
refrigerator

EDIT: also:

please don't fret because
you did not write a haiku.
we all make mistakes.
Last edited by canvasDude at Jun 10, 2011,
i am aware that this isn't a haiku by any definition, i was stoned and counted wrong. I'm just saying as long as it has 17 syllables it can be called a haiku. didn't need all these people to fill me in on things I already knew.
Quote by rebelmidget
i am aware that this isn't a haiku by any definition, i was stoned and counted wrong. I'm just saying as long as it has 17 syllables it can be called a haiku. didn't need all these people to fill me in on things I already knew.

If we thought you already knew it, we wouldn't be telling you such. Everyone gets stoned and counts wrong, but most people don't get upset and defensive after the fact. No one's accusing you of being ignorant to poetic formats. We simply read the title, noticed that the poem was by no means a haiku, and presented definitions thereof to clarify (how should we have known you were stoned and counted wrong?). As for the bolded sentence, this is simply not true. If a total of 17 syllables were the only criteria for classifying a piece as a haiku, the format would be pointless. The number of lines and syllables therein are key to a poem's being a haiku. Doesn't have three lines/doesn't follow the 5,7,5 pattern? It's not a haiku. /story