I just purchased a Fender Mustang III based on reviews on guitar center and musician's friend. Was this a mistake? This is my first electric, I went with a Schecter Tempest. The other amp I was considering was the Line 6 Spyder75(I think). Did I make a mistake, I play mostly rock(Guns N roses, Metallica, Zeppelin, Etc) along with some U2. Should I have gone with something else? GC has a 30 day return policy. The amp sounds pretty good but to be honest I didn't play anything else.
If it's you first amp you'll be fine, unless you really want something else.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i'd say you did a lot better than the spider honestly.

read the manual, it's a cool amp once you know how to use it.

but if you aren't getting along with it in 2 weeks, consider returning it and starting over.

but for a starter amps, the vox vt, mustang, vypyr, roland cubes are all good amps. once you get over the 30 watt you aren't really in the starter amps anymore and maybe aren't the best value.
I'd say from the usual modelling amps for beginners the Vypyr and Mustang are the best sounding ones. VTs and Cubes are OK, might be personal preference, but I just can't get along with their tones. Other than that the Spider is simply the worst of all.

I thought the highgain on the Vypyr is better than on the Mustang, didn't spend too much time with the Mustang though and I've been tweaking a Vypyr for about 2 years now.

I say you chose pretty well.
ive had the mustang III for a couple of months, and if you tweak it it sounds great.
some of the clean and light crunch presets are ok but the hard rock/metal presets are awful
for rock i recommend the brit 80's model with gain all the way up, treb and mid at 6.5, bass at 7.5,sag: less, bias:25%, gate: low, cab: 4X12M, pres:6.5
for metal i recommend the metal 2000, with the gain at 3.5, treble 6.5, mid 9.0, bass 6.5, sag: less, bias: 25%, gate: high, cab: 4X12M if youre playing through the amp and 4X12G if youre recording it with your computer, pres: 6.5
also use plate reverb with level around 1.5-2.0
edit- you should also try using the simple comp on low or med with these settings

since we have different guitars you might have to tweak it a bit
i hope this helped
Last edited by philipk at Jun 9, 2011,
Quote by JesusCrisp
I'd say from the usual modelling amps for beginners the Vypyr and Mustang are the best sounding ones. VTs and Cubes are OK, might be personal preference, but I just can't get along with their tones. Other than that the Spider is simply the worst of all.

Agreed. However, as a former owner of a Cube, I wouldn't recommend one. It was tough for me to get a good sound from it. It was either pristine cleans or super distortion on full strength. Everything in between did not sound good.

Also, TS, the Fender Mustang series are quite literally the newest modellers out there, released only this past year. They feature the newest modelling tech and initial impression are that they're very good. In fact, I'm probably going to pick up a Mustang 1 as a practice/recording amp this fall when I move.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi