Poll: Have you ever thought of buying a fake guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have you ever thought of buying a fake guitar?
Yes
36 35%
No
60 58%
I have one
7 7%
Voters: 103.
Page 1 of 2
Like, one off tradetang or something like that?

I've gotten strong urges to just for fun/modding. Am I the only one?

and I'll probably get banned for this

HEY im not promoting it
Im pretty sure buying a guitar you know is fake is illegal. At least it is in the states
I thought about it... but I'm just not sold on the idea... you never know what is going to be wrong with them, and I'd much rather go pawn shop diving, or make one with a kit and upgrade that
Quote by DisasterMatt
Like, one off tradetang or something like that?

I've gotten strong urges to just for fun/modding. Am I the only one?

and I'll probably get banned for this

HEY im not promoting it

Not so much a fake as project made from parts.

My personal twist on a super strat. You can buy a lot of "for parts" Ibby and Jackson stuff off ebay

I think building a franken Dinky would be a lot of fun.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
Not so much a fake as project made from parts.

My personal twist on a super strat. You can buy a lot of "for parts" Ibby and Jackson stuff off ebay

I think building a franken Dinky would be a lot of fun.

yeah I've thought of getting a squier with a new neck and putting fender on it

just for fun

and yes i know it's illegal but it'd still be fuuuuunnnn
Dude, those fake ones are shiiit. I never bought one with the Ibanez or Jackson logo on the top, but I got an imitation superstrat of a similar style before, (made by "Noki") terrible! all the parts were shit, like, even down to the routing job being poor. I wouldn't do it man.
Quote by Roybordom
Dude, those fake ones are shiiit. I never bought one with the Ibanez or Jackson logo on the top, but I got an imitation superstrat of a similar style before, (made by "Noki") terrible! all the parts were shit, like, even down to the routing job being poor. I wouldn't do it man.

i'm not planning on it

but i'm just wondering if i'm the only one

by the looks of the polls, no
I would love a fake Rickenbacker bass, just because the real ones are way too expensive and no one is allowed to make a copy. I just love how it looks!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i often thought about when i found out james hetfields flying v back in the early days was a japanese knock off of a gibson.
yeah like every time well not because they are cheap and look like most originals but because i really want to get a new guitar cause mine sucks and i also like the feeling of bringing something new home
If we're talking copies that acknowledge they're a Funder Stragoblaster or a Gibbons Les Phil instead of the genuine things, I own a few. If you mean ones that try to pass themselves off as genuine and legit, once, when I was 13, and first learned of them via seeing a very cheap Custom 22.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I have seen a fake Strat before. It looked like a proper turd, down to the tremolo cavity being unfinished and poorly routed.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I would, yeah. If it felt and sounded nice, it wouldn't bother me one bit whether it was legit or not. I wouldn't try to resell it as a real one, however.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by ChucklesMginty
No, I don't see the point when a genuine copy of the same price would probably be a nicer guitar.

I think the point is that the genuine, nicer guitars are not the same price (they're more expensive).

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
If your band smashes up your guitars at the end of the set it would make sense to get a fake gibson les paul instead of smashing a real one... but due to how terrible it would sound and feel the audience may realise its a fake if you swap guitars with about 30 seconds of the gig left just to smash it because you dont actually want to use it on any of your songs because of how god awful it is.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I think the point is that the genuine, nicer guitars are not the same price (they're more expensive).

I think he meant that a genuine copy as in... something that didn't say gibson but was a copy of a gibson les paul made by another company would be a nicer guitar than a fake gibson from china.
As long as you don't try and pass it off as the real thing then sure. I never have though.
I'm with Chuckles here -

You could buy an illegal fake from China.

Or you could buy a guitar for the same price that acknowledges that it's a copy, and it'll probably be a better guitar. The companies that makes these are just putting out a cheap product. They aren't trying to scam you into buying something truly awful, like tradetang are.
I have a fake YJM Fender, it is as good as my US-made Charvel after some setup
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
Quote by smb
I'd definitely buy a 70s "lawsuit" Ibanez if they count

If it says Ibanez on the headstock then it's not a fake!
I think Gibson and Rickenbacker would disagree there....

Okay I'll take a fake Ric bass then. The old good ones are almost worth as much as the real thing anyway
Define fake?
Every guitar company is making copies of Gibson's and Fenders in some form I guess, I own a flying V and a Stratocaster copy, are these "Fakes"?
The Gibson is extremely acurate, to every detail except for the truss rod logo.
METAL!
I have thought about getting one to mount on my wall, and never to play.
Lefties Unite!
Quote by smb
I think Gibson and Rickenbacker would disagree there....

It would be a copy. It's only a fake if you try to pass it off as the original.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I would love a fake Rickenbacker bass, just because the real ones are way too expensive and no one is allowed to make a copy. I just love how it looks!

Schecter makes one that looks like a Ric but it has HS pickup config. and it comes with EMGs.
Quote by jthm_guitarist

actually there is rockinbetter by tokai
I have because some of the guitars I would like are in the $2000+ rang. But after thinking about it I'd rather buy a knockoff not a clone buy another company that has good QC
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Why support someone committing a crime? Do you not have any ethics? The counterfeit goods these clowns ship out should never be allowed into the country.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by jthm_guitarist

Google it and keep your eyes peeled. I've seen some Ric copies on tpdri.com too. Having owned a real Rickenbacker guitar, I can tell you that they aren't made up to be what they really are. With the basses, it's the Ric sound, but what else can you get with it? The copies are usually spot-on soundwise, but not so much qualitywise.

I'd really like the Austin LP Goldtop copy I played in Radford a few weeks ago!
Err... no...

As mentioned, maybe a lawsuit Ibanez or a Tokai.
If someone was producing a "replica" to the same standards as Slash's original Derrig LP then maybe I'd be willing to give it a go, but generally any of the fakes I've seen over the years tend to look the part. From a distance. In dim light.
Handling them and playing them?
May as well buy a budget Cort, Ashton, Squire, Epiphone or something.

Joshua Homme's Trini Lopez copy (from the late '60s) by Pan looks quite good. This is the closaest I could find to an image (the one I saw Homme with was in a magazine around the release of Lullabies)
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I've got a Parts-Caster with a Fender sticker on the head that I made a clock out of, does that count?
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
There was a huge ass forum i remember of people buying counterfeit guitars from trade tang and the like, a lot of them got positive reviews suprisingly. It was all foreign and i dont remember where though.

Frankly, its just a penis extension cause you know you're too poor to afford a real gibson.
If thats the case, get a Tokai.
If there was a decent Trini Lopez/Dave Grohl copy I'd take it in a hearbeat. I love the diamond f-holes.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Ive always thought about instead of buying 5 autographed photos to put on the wall for a mancave having like 10 good looking fake guitars that looked like Gibsons would be much better
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Page 1 of 2