I've been playing a 7 string for quite a while now, such that it has become my main guitar (mainly because my 6 string is crap) however, I feel like I don't really know how to use the low B aside from power chords and stuff. When practicing chromatic/speed exercises, I incorporate the low B string, but for scales and theory and chords I pretty much ignore it. I was wondering if people who play 7 strings know any of any resources specifically for 7 strings or have any tips on making better use of the low B. I would like to know how to incorporate the low B string better, rather than treat my 7 as just a 6 string with a low B string to occasionally play heavy stuff with.
Last edited by Mjollnirswrath at Jun 9, 2011,
Well one thing you could do to learn how to use the 7th string is learn songs by bands that use 7 strings. Dream theater, scar symmetry etc.

I do not own a 7 string, but ive played it alot at my friends place. I just think of a 7 string like a normal guitar with an extra high string ( the high e string ). Makes thinking stuff out much easier. It´s like playing a 6 string, both the e´s have the same frets in a scale for example. On the 7 string its the same with the B´s.

Sorry if that wasent all that helpfull, good luck!
Learn all the notes. Learn scales and not patterns, and learn how to construct your own chords. Music theory, to the rescue.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
you know how all the notes on the low estring are exactly the same as the high e string? well the same goes for both B strings.....

also just remember to learn songs that use 7 string guitars...

and just a side note, the 7 string adds my fav voicings for Gmj/B and G5:

Gmaj/B
e|-3-|
b|-3-|
g|-0-|
d|-0-|
a|-2-|
e|-3-|
b|-0-|

G5/D
e|-3-|
b|-3-|
g|-0-|
d|-0-|
a|-x-|
e|-3-|
b|-3-|

and to find those I just took my 7 string and tried to figure out what notes to add for your regular open chords......
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
7 strings are freakin mad. I played one at a guitar shop once. It was the Jeff Loomis signature. It was sooooo ****ing metal.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Don't think of it as a 'seven-stringed' guitar: think of it as a guitar. Say you had a riff that you played on the low E string. Why are you playing it there? Why not on the low B string for different phrasing? Maybe you have a B chord, and you play the standard 2-4 fret barre chord. Why not use a different phrasing and have the low B as the chord's bass note?

You have to break the mould and realise that there is no invisible line between your low E and B strings. The way to break that mould is to simply play whatever you want (besides chugging) on that string. Have a cool riff on the higher strings? Transpose it lower, or phrase it differently including your B string. Play something high up on the next while utilising your B string.

That's the way you do it: you play around with all the different things you can do on your instrument. That's the same for any instrument. People in my experience don't tend to wonder "oh man, I have a low E string, how do I incorporate this?" They just tend to wonder how they'll use their instrument. I'm still discovering a lot with my eight-string, well over a year on...

Edit: if you want some music to help you out, try Animals As Leaders. He uses an eight-string, but a lot of it is playable on a seven, and a lot of it is clean and uses the seventh string extensively. Have a loot at Inamorata, perhaps, in how that low B is used in the main riffs.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Last edited by Dayn at Jun 9, 2011,
Quote by krypticguitar87
you know how all the notes on the low estring are exactly the same as the high e string? well the same goes for both B strings.....

also just remember to learn songs that use 7 string guitars...

and just a side note, the 7 string adds my fav voicings for Gmj/B and G5:

Gmaj/B
e|-3-|
b|-3-|
g|-0-|
d|-0-|
a|-2-|
e|-3-|
b|-0-|

G5/D
e|-3-|
b|-3-|
g|-0-|
d|-0-|
a|-x-|
e|-3-|
b|-3-|

and to find those I just took my 7 string and tried to figure out what notes to add for your regular open chords......

if you want to use the high B like a high E string you'd have to tune down the G string to F#... and ignore the high E